Tuareg Rally 2013 - Official Event Coverage - follow our ADV riders HERE!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Feb 25, 2013.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Quick update:

Ned has lodged a[nother] protest this morning to find out how this anomaly occurred, as it is clear from his stage timing that someone (either at the CP or the post race data input) has made a mistake - the obvious suggestion is that since Ned was right up the front and very early the CP2 and instead of them writing let's say 11.30 for example, the time may have been written down as 1.30 by mistake... or that post race, the data inputter either misread the time sheet, or was simply used to typing results closer to 1pm when the majority of riders came through...

Fingers crossed it is sorted soon - although it is unlikely to be confirmed before the start of SS6 this morning (in about one hour from now), so Ned is going to try and get reseeded with a smile at the start, as currently he will be starting 47th, with a lot of bikes between him and the fast guys...

Although he has a margin of 6 minutes over the race leader (if his time is restored), there is all to play for in this penultimate day in the dunes...

I will keep on top of it for you!

GO NED!

Jx
  2. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pen and clipboard. All done very casual. This is an amateur event after all.

Keep in mind that there org consists of volunteers on their weeks holiday in the sand.

Misstakes are easily made, like Jenny put it, some hand writing might be hard to read etc etc.

Let's wait and see. In the mean time, "Go Kim de Rycker!"
  3. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Aaaarghhh. As I keep telling people, "take pictures of your time card with your mobile phone every day before handing it in". I got slapped with a non-existent 4 hour penalty in Albania because some 17 year old orga volunteer forgot to transcribe my time form the card to the results sheet.

Hope everyone has a fun & safe last day today, bummer about Guillaume's injury, this rally must be a bit frustrating for him after the Africa Race result.
  4. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now we have returned to the UK,I have had tiime to speak to Deborah,Wes's partner & her family, regarding the tragic & untimely death of our friend Wesley.

Wesley went to the event with the intention of winning,as he was leading last year when he crashed and broke his collarbone.To Wes,every event was possible to win,as his talents on a motorcycle shone through in every discipline.

Since starting out as a young boy,urged on by his parents,Don & Michelle,along with his grandparents Bert & Sylvia,who always attended many events,he progreesed through the local & national trials scene in the UK to become British A Class champion( 16 year old).

He then went on to win many Centre events,in his own determined fashion,never taking the easy option,or even other's advice.

His mother Michelle was a regular trials rider,who unfortunately died when Wes was 13 years old.Whilst his father,Don,was a talented trials & enduro rider,and rode in ISDT and supported KTM team in late 70's.He continued to ride regularly up until his death at the Alto Turia Rallye in Spain in 2002,at the age of 62 years.

I rode with Don at a few events,in Ireland,with TORC Enduro Club,and had some great times there.
    After winning many trials as a teenager,Wes moved on to 4WD events,and again climbed up the ranks to succeed at a very high level.,alongside learning to shoot clay's,again to a high standard.His ability to shut out external interruptions(which often meant friends comments or suggestions) and his focus on learning a new technique,meant he seemed to quickly master anything he tried.

After Don's death,Wes inherited Don's KTM 400 and turned his hand to enduro's,which again,he mastered using his fabulous trials technique,and progressed rapidly to Expert.We had many good times at Welsh 2-Day & Natterjack Enduro's,and his determination to win was always present,and his demeanor could be frustrating at times,but also a cause for amusement to others.

After I had done a couple of Tuareg Rallies,Wes bought an LC640 Adventure and came to the Tuareg,and again,quickly mastered the whole roadbook/navigation technique.His riding in the dunes was a pleasure to watch,with his trials background,he made it look effortless.

Over the next couple of years,we developed the KTM 690 Enduro into a Rally machine,and this started the Rally-Raid Products business,which has flourished,using many of his ideas.

Wes,aka Beaney,to the ADV Rider fraternity,was a wealth of knowledge on the 690,spending many hours with EFI software,but that was him,he would grab any new subject,and commit totally to it until he had mastered it.Which at times could be frustrating to others around him,but that was Wes.......

I spoke with Deb yesterday,and although Wes's accident was that,a tragic racing accident,it will be very difficult to come to terms with,but for Wes winning was everything,and every metre counted.

After loosing another of our close friends and riding partner,Gordon MacPherson,recently on Heroes Legend,it has become very difficult to assess things,regarding the whole rally scene,we all know the risks when we enter these events,and I am sure that these same riders,from all around the world,who we meet at these events,are also the ones who we shall turn to for support,as we are all friends in sport............

I shall leave the thread back to others now,but here are a few pictures of Wes's background.....

[​IMG]Wesley's Mum at local trial 1960's
    [​IMG] Wes riding his dad's KTM 400 at Welsh 2-Day Enduro( I still have that bike)

[​IMG] Styling it at Tuareg in Morocco 2012

[​IMG] Team Brown at Tuareg Rallye 2012

[​IMG] John Mitchinsom,Wesley Beane & George Dennison at Tuareg 2013

[​IMG] Wesley,his last day,focused as ever,out for the win............

Our thoughts are with Deb and her family,along with his grandparents Bert and Sylvia.

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    Great post and insight on the man, sir ... thank you for sharing.

- ET
  6. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Ι'll second that, and add my thanks for taking the time and sharing.

I don't think there is anyone who enters a race and doesn't compete to achieve a target. It may not be for the overall,
    but at least to gauge their ability. Otherwise we might as well call them friendly adventure tour get-togethers.

Nothing but respect for Wesley and sadness for his death.

RIP
  7. gnuttis

gnuttis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ktmmitch for the post!
  8. Ski2bumps

Ski2bumps n00b

Oddometer:
    ktmmitch and Jenny thanks for you posts. Also my sincere condoleances to Wesley's wife and family and all his friends.
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    "Private...in...vest...i...gation..."

So I've had a look at the official timing sheets, and you can clearly see the mistake that has been made:

[​IMG]

If you look in the right hand section, in the 3rd sector (that relates to the time at CP3) you'll see they recorded he got to CP3 at 12.57... however, he then must have time-travelled backwards, since he started the fourth sector/CP4 at 11.34! (which ties in with his 'race to lunch' he described yesterday)...

Noone else has a finish time at CP3 that is later than their start at CP4 (obviously) - so either he is Marty McFly, or someone wrote/read '12' instead of '10' on the timing sheet (which would also be consistent with the other top riders, all of which took just 37-40 minutes to cover that section, as did Ned).

Fingers crossed they will make the necessary adjustments to the overall timing, even if they don't award him the stage win - which he did, 1 minute ahead of the posted winner, Kim De Rycker...

The good news is at least they re-seeded him at the start this morning from 47th to the 2nd row (riders set off in groups of four, 1 minute apart) - which will actually be to his advantage as he can keep an eye on the front pack while not having the responsibility of opening the stage...

Jx
  10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Schnitzel Gate
  11. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Thank you, ktmmitch!
  12. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ktmmitch for this excellent post... I remain speechless :cry ...

Keep up the good work Jenny and thanks for keeping us updated regarding the progress of the Rally, I am sure the situation with Ned will be resolved ...

-o0-
    D.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    As I mention above, Ned got re-seeded to the second row, and started next to 5th place Carl Hagenblad - I have a great sequence of them racing off the line (will post shortly) - in the meantime, here is Ned just winning their sprint start!

[​IMG]

Jx
  14. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    They may be in shock that an American is kicking butt. Would be excellent to have a Neduro/ ADV victory!
  15. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed we are in shock of an American kicking butt :rofl

Do we need to clean up the mess left over after as well? :evil:rofl
  16. StefanW

StefanW Explorer

Oddometer:
    Go Calle go!!
    :clap :lurk
  17. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
  18. David P.

David P. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, we are in total shock! Who knew there were talented American riders!? :rofl

Go Calle!!
  19. E-Ticket2

E-Ticket2 E-Ticket

Oddometer:
    :d
  20. stretch the wire

stretch the wire n00b

Oddometer:
    Jenny...

Thanks for your coverage and on-the-spot reporting, it has been really good to be able to keep up with events, compared to recent years where getting information back to friends and supporters has been an issue.

Firstly I would like to say how gutted I am at the news of Wes's death on the rally, it has knocked me for six. I know it has affected many of us "back home" and my thoughts are with his family and close friends.

With regards to the incorrect results for Ned, unfortunately this is nothing new. I would urge all competitors to check the signature and time on your timecard at every checkpoint, I know that you are in a rush and need to get going, but the rules state that the checking of the record your responsibility, if there is nothing in the box or it is incorrect it is your responsibility, there is nothing you can do about it....unless perhaps you have a special relationship with Orga.

It has happened to me twice, once they missed a secret check and I was penalised four hours, the other time they stated that I did not make any of the checks for the whole day! For both I had to submit official protests, both were upheld and the reason given: "Clerical Error". I did not get the benefit of "Seeding" to the second row I had to start towards the back of the field for the following days whilst the protest was being checked. This happened in subsequent years, both whilst running in the top 10 of the events.

I wonder how many errors go unchecked by riders who are not sure if they made that check or not...many could be far higher up the results, but heh they may never know. The antiquated system used by the Orga is problematic, and when you invest so much time and money to participate, amateur or not, the recording of results should be accurate and fair to all. This is one of the main reasons I did not return this year.

I must state that the Tuareg is a fantastic event, at an excellent cost but, for me, there needs to be a better timing/results system in place for it to be fair. GPS routes should not be distributed before the event, and free beer and tall blondes on tap.

Good luck to you all and keep it on two wheels!

PS. Jenny please can you advise list of our Brit riders positions in profi and amateur classes so that we can get behind them!

Greetings to Team "All Torque" Racing!

Regards

John Freeman