Craigslist Trials Finds...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Sting32, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Just for clarification (in USA, at least) Before 2002 gasgas produced the bike named "TXT" In 2002, they then introduced the "TXT PRO"... Pro designated the new engine, and other weight savings design. But, they still produced (or imported, as it were) the "TXT" as far as 2003 maybe even 2004. I have a friend that had the 03 "plain TXT" 280.

I have had several friends that have the 02 "TXT PRO," aka again commonly refered to or called by just "{year}" & "PRO." FWIW, in 03, there was a big change in the seat plastics, which is also the airbox, and it was a retrofit update, known as 03 airbox update. That is all I "know."

I don't know what it cost back then to get the update, I assume it was free with exchange, but I DON'T know this. I definitely have no idea what it would cost now, I read here or Thumper Talk, where someone found a "new in crate 02 pro, just in the past few months it seems? and bought it, that is what brings to mind about the seat/airbox "update" that most got back in the day.

Most all the bikes I have seen (again 02 pro) have the update, I couldn't tell if I have ever seen the non updated ones. My Buddy "Spinner" from Kansas knows, I don't. So I rely on his knowledge.

Now you know, what I know.
  2. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
  3. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger Ride more. Worry Less.

Oddometer:
  4. Seavoyage

Seavoyage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco but mostly in Asia these days
  5. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    Is this a good way to start trials for 1K?

[​IMG]
  7. Seavoyage

Oddometer:
    1990-1992 Beta Zero : May be a challenge to find spare parts. Only manufactured for 2-years before replacement with Techno model w/ aluminium engine cases. Relatively heavy compared to 2004 or newer bikes. Magnesium engine case corrosion was common resulting in coolant leaks into the transmission oil. Aluminium case replacement/upgrade (Beta Techno) cost around $450 if still available from the factory in Italy. Cable clutch (not-hydraulic). Weak rear brakes. Upside Down Forks prone to leaking fork seals.

If the above common issues are OK with you and the price is within your budget: The Beta Zero will be lighter than an older twin-shock. A early 90's mono-shock w/ cartridge fork is more capable than damper-rod forks.
  8. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I can do better, for a few bucks more.
    I would really like the 2007 Beta Rev3 250, in Oklahoma, in the "Trials Specific Flea Market" thread. I don't believe it can be registered in Ca. But it's calling me, like a Sirens song.

[​IMG]
  9. LarryDawg

LarryDawg trials nut

Oddometer:
    Nickerson/Hutchinson Kansas=Cesspool of the World
    I go pic it up Sunday.... cant wait.....:clap
    LarryDawg
  10. amcross

amcross Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer:
    Mikeysduck -- we bought our used gasgas 280 models 2000 and 2001 for $1200 and $1500, in need of minor work, mid season last year. so if you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can find a more modern generation bike in pretty close to the same price range. I also got my GG80cc for $1,000 in need of very minor work but unless you're a small rider like me, that's probably not the type of bike you're needing!
  11. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Undertheoaks

Undertheoaks Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Fair condition seems fair for a 19 year old trials bike.
  15. Aanarchy

Aanarchy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.
  16. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks to be in good condition to me. Maybe the engine or clutch are rough? I would ask why he said fair condition. I paid $400 for a 1992 Gas Gas and needed a bunch of work.
  17. Seavoyage

Oddometer:
    Although considered heavy by modern bike standards, for most riders the Beta Techno developed by Dougie Lampkin is still very capable. Beta had converted to the aluminium engine cases in the Techno to eliminate the corrosion issue with the older magnesium cases. Unfortunately the USD forks were still prone to leaks and the rear brakes were considered weak. Parts for the Techno are more difficult to find in the US. Manufacturers (Beta) are only required to maintain parts support for 10-years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3NVPjxwfFz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Your 1992 GT25 CONTACT is a classic. If you have the GT25T (Jordi Tarres Replica) it introduced case-reed-induction, a hydraulic clutch (a first for off-road bikes) and has all the bits of a modern design: hydraulic clutch, cartridge fork, disc brakes, liquid-cooling to suit the more acrobatic techniques (nose wheelies, flip turns) that evolved in trials. The design continued all the way to the 2003 TXT "Edition" before being replaced by the 2002 'Pro' which focused on a 20% weight reduction. The modern lightweight trials bike suits techniques that developed from Bike Trials - (Hopping from obstacle to obstacle, and on the rear wheel).

I threw a leg over Adrian Lewis (LewisportUSA) Ossa 280i on Thursday. Adrian had lightened his Ossa even more with some trick bits, and increased the power with new ECU mapping. OMG! It had incredible suspension as felt even lighter than my daughters Pro with a S3 225cc Hi-compression kit.

Today's lightweights are way beyond my capability. I just putt around on my big-bore 327cc JT35 (Jon Stoodley built for Stevie Yarrow for the World Trials Championships). It has way enough power for me... the 338cc long-stroke JTR-370 was just excessive. The Europeans didn't buy into this more is better, and most of the big-bores were sold to the US market.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wNyLmGs05Z0?list=PL391F2719952C8DFB" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​
  18. JRMosley

JRMosley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. ADVCoop

ADVCoop Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Seavoyage

Oddometer:
    I considered a Rev3 a few months ago for the long range seat/tank kit for LDT. I test rode a few: I prefer a Right side kick start. Wasn't as easy as the Sherco to start, or as light as a GasGas Pro or an Ossa (if you can afford it) but had good steering lock and quality chassis and engine craftmanship. Suspension was the old Pailoli design and not Marzocch/Sachs or Ohlins as equipped on the other trials brands. At least Beta doesn't equip with Olle rear shock. Carburetor tends to overflow when petcock is left on and bike is leaning on kickstand. I've heard that waterpump seal tends to leak. Good parts support from current importer: at least till 2018 when the 10-year Manufacturer support requirement expires. 250cc is OK for a bike to start on, if you can't find a 200cc.