Cheryl & Leslie's Triumph Tiger 800XC ADV to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, Jun 12, 2011.

1. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I guess we are wimps plus we hate camping in the rain.:huh
  2. WVdyhrd

WVdyhrd mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer:
    d@mn I know this is pages ago, and I'm just dropping in on this. But I hope someone has told you, you sound like a royal jealous b*tch. Harsh words I know, but your berating these women, but you don't have to read the RR if you don't want to. :asshat It's not your ride. Go put your own together for your own "authentic" experience and do it your way, no reason to continually belittle theirs.

I think they are showcasing a great company and raising awarness for a very important cause.

Honest? WTF? are you concerned they may not be spending a lot of money? Your one of those kinds huh? ADV people need to have money? I've met your type in camps. You sneer at my walmart cookgear and target sourced beanie, or get pissed when I opt for a greasy mexican joint over a high class $40 plate lunch break. Putter on hunny putter on.
  3. soph9

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your support but I think this inmate disappeared after that post. have not seen anything since then....again thanks for your kind words!:clap I wonder though if he came back and read the RR would he still think there was not a whole lot of us in it? I think we showed us a lot and kept it real.
  4. aldntn

aldntn Vgo

Oddometer:
    Great trip and report. Thanks!
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the journey. It has been a fun read and it brought back memories of my own "growth" as more experience was gained over the years of exploring. Don't let a few with "penis" envy that appear to only have a pathetic agenda of trying to mark others turf with nothing constructive to add even waste your time with replies.

You guys are great, keep enjoying your ride!

Safe Travels and Cheers!

:beer
  6. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't suggest any ADV riders go swimming in a salmon stream with feeding grizzlies and their cubs...:evil:rofl The fact people who stupid things get in trouble with bears doesn't mean bears are extremely dangerous when you use reasonable precautions.

Bears aren't your buddies at the same time grizzlies are not interested in attacking let alone eating people.

No worries....I didn't enjoy pedalling my bike or camping in the rain either!...:cry

I'm not dissing you guys at all. I just wanted to point out bears are not a serious danger if you take reasonable precautions. Having lived in bear country all my life it's not something that should stop folks from enjoying camping in wild places. Just read up on what to do to be safe and you'll be fine.

Having said that we all have different comfort levels so there is nothing wrong with staying at hotels in bear country if you wouldn't enjoy your time in a tent.

Personally I was way more worried about keeping the rubberside down in that slick as snot Dempster mud!!!
  7. soph9

Oddometer:
    We camped in the Kathleen Lake area and that was the only time we had bear spray in the tent with us. We saw black and grizzly's on the way to the campground. We do try and practice bear safe camping but you never know. The chances of being attacked are slim but it was truly the rain that deterred us mainly from setting up camp so many days.
  8. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    One thing that this RR has done is to make me want to reevaluate the lodging on my trip planning. Back in the day of the Poverty Rider, it was unthinkable to stay in a motel. Nowadays, at my age, etc, I may be too creaky to rough it nightly for +/- 60 days on the North Slope trip. I may have to luxuriate m'self a bit-- but what the hae, it's just money...
  9. Ladukebob

Ladukebob Spaceark

Oddometer:
    I've been subscribed to this thread and following off and on during your epic adventure and I just wanted to say thanks for sharing all your great photos and experiences. :clap:clap:clap

Hope you somehow end up with those bikes :D
  10. snay

snay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    I read somewhere that these inverters don't have a working USB. Some people have had trouble charging iPhone and blackberry.
    Any suggestions/comments?
    Thanks.
    Snay
  11. soph9

Oddometer:

Our inverters USB worked great but we kept our iPhones charged in our tank bag all the time with a cable plugged into the powerlet outlet. I used the USB for our helmet cams and mainly head sets. I guess you just need to get the right one??? We used an inexpensive MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra Slim 100W

Input Max 8 A
    Output Max 115 V AC, 60Hz

Hope this helps.
  12. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I guess we are wimps plus we hate camping in the rain."
    Not
    Jim
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    Our 1st impressions after we ride our BMW's home from the dealer. They were stored there while we were away.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtdC1pChH-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. Daytonacharlie

Daytonacharlie 2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
    THE END :cry
  15. Kraftsman 73

Kraftsman 73 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

First, I want to tell you how much I am enjoying your ride report and all the great photos. I have a 955i Triumph Tiger I am hoping to ride up to Alaska next year. Your report is a great source of information.
    So, more information is requested.
    What kind of cameras are you using on your trip? I am aware of both still and video cameras. No way will I embark upon an adventure trip without both still and video cameras.
    I will continue to read and enjoy the ride through your eyes and written words.
    Best Regards,
    Kraftsman 73
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    really nice words....and we thank you. You reposting those early pictures was cool....Cheryl is working on our DVD as I type. I think it is going to be really good at least for us to watch:lol3:freaky

The cameras we used were 2 Contour HD helmet cams...one GPS version. The 1080p HD camera had issues.

Point & Shoot cameras were a Panasonic Lumix FH25 which is not really working anymore. I am going to see if I can get it fixed. It is relatively new.

Nikon Coolpix S70

Camcorder - Canon Vixia HFR21

Finally a Canon SX30IS
  17. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Followed you girls from start to finish. Great RR and awsume pics. Suggestion for you Cheryl and Leslie if your making a DVD of the pics. Sell them to us wannabes who may be thinking of heading to Alaska someday. Helps pay for the trip and/or donate to your Autistic kids Org. Maybe provide a rough list of expenses, what you did or didn't need, Things you wished you did but didn't get to do and vice versa. Well worth $20-$25US in my book. rj in Walla Walla, WA
  18. opaque_machete

opaque_machete girls wanna have fun

Oddometer:
    +1
  19. cags

cags n00b

Oddometer:
    Once again ADV will not let me in so I am using Cheryl's username. Not recognizing my password. I ask you guys who do I email again? :eek1

Also, please have a read and look:

Here are some stats, over 220,000 Facebook views of our page, over 180,000 hits to our ride report on the ADV forum and almost 37,000 unique hits to our BLOG. We are really short of our goal. $5 for half of these folks would be HUGE. Think about it and learn how to donate on our BLOG under the ACT page.

http://advgrrls.com/

Thanks so much for everyone's support and great comments!

Our Charity means a lot to us....this forum has been so good to us and we just want to give back!
  20. redstar

redstar New adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great cause, great RR! I enjoyed it all the way, especially being an ex-Vancouver-ite, and west coast person.

Small advise: make a DONATE button by PayPal. Go to Merchant Services and there is Donate Button link in the Create Buttons list. And place it on your blog. It'll be more convenient to many people who'd like to donate. How much did you raise thus far? if it's not too early to ask. It's a great cause, and I for one can really appreciate it having a special needs daughter.

Question:
    what kind of issues you had with Contour 1080? and why did you choose Contour Vs. HD Pro?

Thanks,
    Egor.