The 1988-2008 Husaberg Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, the 70 degree guys have their own thread, so I thought I'd get one going for the rest of us. :D
    If you have a 350 through 650 please feel free to post any pics, tips or tricks you may have for these awesome machines.

Here's mine:

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

'05 FE650E. All stock with the exception of lower gearing and richer jetting.
    This bike is an absolute rocket. :clap
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden them, but have much admired them. Maybe I'll get one some day to keep the BRP company :evil
  3. komatias

komatias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These bikes are very special. I have a fc550 and previously a 400Fe. They are cheaper than similar year KTM and I would I would definitely prefer one of them to any Japanese bike. Both of them now have stators that you cannot find new and that fail continuously. When they work, they kick ass. When they don't they need a heavy sacrifice of ££ or $$.
  4. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do it! They co-habitate quite nicely. :lol3

[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    So its back off the block AGAIN:lol3
  6. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may already be aware of this but for those who aren't, a lot, but not all, of the SEM ignition (2003 and older I believe) bikes had problems with the stators failing prematurely.
    There's a gentleman in Spain on www.husaberg.org who goes by Sparks.
    You send him your bad stator, he rewinds it better than new and sends it back. That should be the end of your stator problems. :D
    shrubitup likes this.
  7. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is...:shog :lol3

I keep telling myself I don't need this bike.......just pick up a WR450 or something.....maybe just keep the XR600 for the trail bike.... and then I ride it again and think What the he!! am I thinking selling this!

Soooo...yes it's off the block AGAIN. :lol3
  8. dentvet

dentvet Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe i missed it but how does the berg 650 compare to a xrr?

i have a seat cover for a 93 fe600 i had if anybody wants it
  9. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    To put it simply, the Husaberg is faster, handles better, is 40-50 pounds lighter and makes a lot more power.
    And, believe it or not, the 'berg is easier to work on.
  10. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Ya guys that have never had them

'90something up to 2001 some are great but the next gen motor is faster, chassie was behind the motor

there is a different motor from 2001

01-04 were growing years
    05-08 outstanding and bullett proof with proper maint.

kind of thinking the 70degree grows some to
    maybe next year

every time I get on mine it's like catchin that old hot girl and the smile is on
  11. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

CA plated w/CA reg. I was aware of the stator problem before I looked at it. Owner told me the e-starter wasn't working. I didn't need an explaination since the wiring was all butchered up. Came w/extra set of dirt wheel/knobbys. Plenty of oil leaking around the bottom end. My guess was from a leaking countershaft seal. Price was too high for the condition it was in, so I passed. Don't own a 'Berg, but I appreciate them (and ALL the threads here) just the same.
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I've done the same thing with my Super Enduro but once I hit some trails with it or a nice dirt road, I think the same exact thing:lol3

I've been keeping an eye on your 650 but I never had the confidence that you would actually follow through:lol3
    kawboyfft likes this.
  13. crankshaft

Oddometer:

Hey Bob:wave Just picked up an 07 550 and its really hard to start. It just seems like an awful lot of resistance when running it through the stroke and even the starter sounds like its having a tough time. Its only got 28 hours on it by the way. I've been going through the basics... valves, filter, carb etc etc etc but I'm wondering if my left leg is just weak:lol3

Any words of wisdom from the Berg wizard?
  14. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure your valves are adjusted properly? If they're on the loose side, your auto decomp. won't work correctly resulting in the symtoms you describe.

My 650 has a good bit of resistance on the kicker but it fires off on 2-3 kicks when cold and 1 when hot.
    The e-starter spins over with no problem and always starts in a few revolutions cold, and hot, you barely have to touch the button and it's idling. :thumb
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recently went to look at a 98 400fe just for the suspension. Ended up with a fully functional bike with a plate, just couldn't bring myself to disassemble it.
    A few hours cleaning and va voom starts off 2nd kick:clap

I've crawled the other forum but older models seem to be forgotten.

The motor sounds like a bunch of angry hornets, damn this things revs quick. I love the long wheelbase, it should make a great dualsport.

As with any performance motor, I'm sure it is not long for this world, does anyone have some suggestions to improve the reliability?

I've done all the basic stuff, oil, valves, water, air filters etc.
  16. Huskyfatman

Huskyfatman Stinky Wizzleteats

Oddometer:
    Still riding my '05 650 and like it a lot. Lots of power and light weight make it one of the most fun bikes I've owned. I've added a Clarke(Boss) tank, Renazco seat, all the guards and of course a license plate.
    [​IMG]
    Last weeks ride:
    [​IMG]
  17. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Could be a couple of things
    if its hard turning I agree the valves are tight. go to Husaberg.org and look up 1/8 turn valve adjustment. been doing it this way since 2001

I have a 05 550 and it was always hard to start bit it was fuel issue.
    see if I can look up some jetting I did. works for me from 9000 ft to the coastal range but centered for here at 4500

I still love this bike. I need to save my pennies and send the legs to Trailtrick. my 690 is damn near perfect
    btw there are a couple of older brand new bergs in Reno at NMS prretty cheap.
  18. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses Bob and Brucifer!

The guy I bought it from seemed scared of it and that's why the hours are low. I rode it for about 20 minutes before putting it in the garage and it ran like a scalded animal no doubt but the fueling is all wrong. It started really hard hot or cold and the choke didn't seem to matter much:lol3

I checked the valves and the exhaust was pretty tight and the intake was close. I bought the JD kit for it but I would be interested to hear your take on jetting Bob. My plan is to run it on the lake this winter, so I need to get my ass in gear and get her sorted. I owned a 570 and I didn't like it nearly as much as the old Chassis. Not sure why but the old chassis it feels more stable and it slides better than any other bike I've ever had:deal
  19. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )
    My 08 550, one awesome machine!!

[​IMG]
  20. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Fast Eddy! You did the Dacre on a 640 right?