Hurricane Sandy Pictures

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by madrivermaz, Oct 26, 2012.

1. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Let's post blow by blow pictures of what Sandy brings us here.

They're calling it Frankenstorm up here in CT because of the cold front coming down from Canada that could have devastating effects on NJ, NY, CT, and MA. Snow, ice, rain....who knows!
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Nowadays it seems like EVERY storm is hyped as an upcoming disaster. I am tired of it. And the ones that ARE a fucking disaster, like last year's Halloween Weekend storm (at my house, 25 inches of heavy wet snow in ONE storm) come as a surprise. Sandy might not come north of Philadelphia so maybe we won't get jack shit up here in MA. I'll make sure we have some gas for the generator if we need to power it up for a couple of days. Longer than that and we'd leave town.

BTW, I was in the Domincan Republic when Sandy went by. We just had outskirts effects, a lot of rain heavy at times for a couple of days. A substantial number of people died in Haiti which shares the same island with the DR. The Haitian end is closer to Jamaica where the storm was but I think the main reason for the deaths was deforestation that increase runoff and flooding, and extreme poverty that causes people to have inferior shelter and to be living in more places subject to flooding (like squatting in ravines).
  3. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    yup. And this is New England up here. It is prone to get weather, serious weather. I don't think we get the weather we did when I was young. I can remember snow drifts 8+ feet high regularly during the winter. Now, a snow drift is big news!
    We'd get hurricanes on a regular basis too. That's why we now have flood control dams.

I figure there'll be some good footage where this thing comes ashore and, rather than waiting for the news to report the most damaging stuff, we could see what it really looks like.
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's hype to get consumers to spend money. :lol3

I went to Bennington tonight for some shopping...... bread and bottled water shelves were nearly empty. Went to the Home Depot across the street..... not one generator! Longer than the usual Friday night lines at the gas pumps and people filling gas cans.

Not saying people shouldn't prepare but this is ridiculous.
  5. justme23005

justme23005 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm prepared.. :D The bucket trucks are fueled up, The chainsaws are all serviced and ready to go, and There's a tv dinner or two in the freezer..

:wink:
  6. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Q: What do Kim Kardashian and Hurricanes have in common?
    A: They will both blow the entire east coast just to get on TV.
  7. Creekgeek

Creekgeek Master Finger Painter

Oddometer:
    Was supposed to cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda leaving last night. They waited until we all got aboard, then told us they were not going to Bermuda, but would go find the "smoothest water possible" instead as a destination. Wife and I got off after the free buffett to eat donuts at home instead of cutting donuts in the Atlantic aboard a ship.
    So no real pics to post, but the store shelves in Maryland were pretty bare. I had milk from a pint carton this morning as that is all that was left on the shelf.... My advise...pre-stock your beer and alcohol now. :photog
  8. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    WTF? If you're going to be stuck in the house for a day or two, the thing you want is bread & milk? Yeah, they're fine, but shit, I want soda, beer, pretzels, tostitos, chips, cookies (oh that's right.............I DO need milk), COFFEE, and a few other things for me & Mrs.O.C.F. to pass the time. :evil:evil:evil:deal
    Wonder if I'm gonna get to use that super-duper Honda ES6500 generator that we bought last April and haven't had the occasion to use even once yet???
    We're ready though!

Chris
  9. tommymac92

tommymac92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am embarassed the 2 barrels of my kegerator are now empty, but I had been aging 6 cases of brooklyn choc stout so I will tap into that if need be. :freaky

I am on the south shore of LI and am very close to the water and am more or les son a small peninsula. With irene we did ok, but soem houses by the channel were flooded very badly and soem are still not inhabited. I will probably be home for most of the storm unless i get mandated at the hospital ( Iam an emergency medicine PA-C) so I may try to get out and get soem pics of the carnage as it goes. No word on evacuations yet. I may send the wife and kid sout early and ride it out in hopes of saving what I can in the house.
  10. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    I hope you don't get hit to badly.
  11. Ballics

Ballics Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :1drink
    [​IMG]:1drink
  12. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Yeah, close to the water may not be a good place to be. For coastal areas this could be serious. I'm inland and live on top of a hill. Up here the risk would be falling trees. The white pines are over 100 feet tall (I've felled some and measured them) so they have a big radius they could go down in.
  13. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Folks out here (da West) don't know what those trees look like........unless you find Sequoias....

:wave

Wife went to her ummm.... fortieth reunion on Long Island last month....hope they stay high and dry for Sandy......

Great to see you felling trees and checking out their kahuna's......:D
  14. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck folks.
  15. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Towns around us took a shellacking from Irene last year. Our little part of town didn't fare too badly, but my son's school was flooded and wound up closed for a week. He says if Sandy gives him another vacation he won't mind :lol3.

Bought some water today, and found myself better prepared than I thought, what with all my gear from the huge bike trip I took this summer. ADV riding makes for good hurricane prep :clap.
  16. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I am out riding. Pussies
  17. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    Ride Captain Ride..........
  18. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    He's gonna put an eye out
  19. BERZERKOWITZ

BERZERKOWITZ .

Oddometer:
    I went to Lowes today for some needed supplies. It was a zoo. Everybody was buying flashlights, sump pumps, batteries, tarps, etc. I went up to the register with exactly ten stainless steel 1/4" nuts and bolts. My prep day was spent taking my forks apart on the Strom for a spring swap.
  20. Xmoto

Xmoto Death Race

Oddometer:
    I hope South Jersey stays above water for the Hammer Run.