Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT!!! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by tuffenuff, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    Meeting up with you guys was a blast! It was my crazy idea to ride to Steamboat and when we took off that morning I was really second guessing my decision. I was happy to know we weren't the only people crazy enough to ride in these conditions! :lol3

I really wished I would have gotten a pic of our little detour which was some of the deepest thickest mud I've ever seen on a trail. I dropped my bike 3 times and picked it up by myself. The mud was so slick Chris could barely walk on it to get to me. Luckily Chris caught the mistake after about a 1/2 mile and we turned around and had to ride through all of that mud again. Longest mile of my life!

Great stuff so far, keep up the good work!

:lurk
  2. tuffenuff

tuffenuff a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Kelly! I'm happy you guys are crazy too! :lol3 I wished I had a pic too, we detoured into a sketchy narrow muddy climb
    but luckily we stopped about 15 mins into it and skied back down. :eek1
    But we'll get plenty of deeeeep mud pics later on and it was not pretty. :ear
  3. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Lol! Hi Anne Marie! Glad you found me and thanks for tuning in to our RR1 :clap How is the riding there in Australia?
    I've never been and always wanted to go. New Zealand as well. When would be the best time to visit and ride there?
    And of couse, you can come along anytime! :D
  4. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    -------------------------------------------------
    DAY 7: Gypsum to Steamboat Springs (COBDR)

"Do bikes float or glide?" Day

9/12/13
    Thank you Backcountry Discovery Routes for your awesome services!
    Thank you Butler Maps for your awesome maps!

[​IMG]

We woke up to another fine morning of overcast weather.
    We couldn't complain though as it could have been much much worse with all the flooding that was happening throughout the state. :(:
    We were all very thankful for our weather fortunes during our trip.
    [​IMG]

Comfort Inn dishes out a pretty good breakfast spread. Very organized too!
    [​IMG]

Chris and Kelly were headed out just ahead of us and we wished them well and we'd be looking out for their tracks. :wave
    We'd catch up with them later on in Steamboat during the Rally. :clap
    [​IMG]

We fueled up and headed out, mindful of the fact that this was a bittersweet day knowing this was our last segment on the COBDR. :(:

What is it with men and the Kum & Go gas stations? :rolleyes
    Russ was so fascinated by the name, and would say "only in America" as he chuckled. This pic is for you, Russ!
    [​IMG]

The day started out with us missing the turn by a smidgen again. :D :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

First section of the day was a mine tour over muddy wet terrain.
    And we see Chris & Kelly's tracks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the next section, we joined up and began riding along the Colorado River.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today was turning out to be a nice and relaxing scenic ride. :D
    [​IMG]

So relaxing that we were able to take the customary "in action" shots of each other. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked Jeremy if I should stand up too.
    [​IMG]

He said, "No, just stay seated."
    [​IMG]

So, I stood up too. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    If you're laughing, then you get it. :wink:
    If not, then revisit posts since Day 2. :D
    [​IMG]

We passed through a small town near the Yampa River. I can't remember the name though.
    There was this phone booth just right off the side of the road and it had a beige phone inside, kinda like what you'd find on a hospital wall.
    I wonder if it works?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were making good progress today and at this pace, we would get to Steamboat very early in the afternoon. :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody's lovely ranch. You just gotta smile and say, "Must be nice. Ahhh, someday..."
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were riding along, pretty chill, thinking to ourselves, what a lovely day this is turning out to be! :ricky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we were "awakened"... a little muddy section... small but slick...
    [​IMG]

First up, test subjects = Jeremy & me
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YRb3toc35qE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Next = Mike then Russ
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DIfAmQLLpdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then we were reminded cows can be scary and not to be messed with!

So what do you get when you ride up in front of a cow and rev your engine?
    [​IMG]

You get the second cow behind it pissed off and charging you! :eek1
    I am now afraid and highly respectful of cows!
    [​IMG]

And then we arrived at Beaver Pond... where this was waiting for us. :eek1:eek1:eek1
    Jeremy and I had strategized that if anything ever happened on these water crossings, first order of business, find me and stand me up quickly and get me above water.
    And that's as far as we got with that conversation... :arg
    [​IMG]

I saw Chris & Kelly's tracks entering the left side. We all got off and surveyed the "pond". After 10 minutes, Jeremy was done thinking and we were going across.
    We'd take the left side line as well all the way through and hope the section we couldn't see from the middle and closer to the other end would be the right line on the left as well.

First up, test subjects, again = Jeremy & me
    You can hear Russ towards the end reacting to a dip just past the middle...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pPBC8rP888c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After another 10 minutes of deliberation = Mike
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ryvH-98fnjQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And after another 10 minutes of deliberation = Russ
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PZ2bLGqU9Bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike took the best line out of all of us staying left the whole way.
    I was so worried about Russ. You wanted to avoid the middle and he went there! Luckily, he made it out ok.

Here's the side view of Russ' close call... :knary
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G8hVM70ztp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Answer to the earlier question: Bikes glide! Not just glide, but power glide through water crossings! :clap
    Yet another "who knew we'd be doing this today?!" moment accomplished! So proud! :super
    [​IMG]

And I know the bikes were celebrating as well! :getiton
    [​IMG]

From there we made our way to Steamboat! :lurk:1drink
    [​IMG]

Don't mess with the cows! :nono Respect them! :deal
    [​IMG]

Lake Catamount. Just beautiful!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it! We checked in to our home for the Rally Weekend eagerly looking forward to a wonderful time in Steamboat!
    [​IMG]

Most comfortable bed thus far!
    [​IMG]

And then we indulged! :dg:dg:dg:dg:dg
    The best Mexican food I've had in Colorado!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we fully satiated ourselves, we reminisced about our day and week:
    -First near crash back in the beginning on Day 3
    -Black Bear Pass in the dark, fog and rain on Day 3
    -The Badger! on Day 4
    -Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Passes on Day 4
    -The unexpected challenging detour with Jason and crew on Day 5
    -Tin Cup Pass on Day 5
    -Jeremy and me sticking it out on Day 6 and finishing that day's COBDR segment that started out rainy and muddy and ended sunny and dry
    -Day 7, today's long and deep water crossing of Beaver Pond
    -Beautiful scenery
    -Awesome and friendly people
    -Good food along the way

We delighted in what has been quite a ride!
    I am still taking it all in and I am still amazed at what was done thus far!

We were going to fully enjoy this Rally Weekend and everything that Steamboat had to offer, as Riders and Tourists!
    :beer
  5. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    very cool RR, enjoying it! props for riding gnar 2up! :freaky
  6. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Thanks, vintagespeed! I appreciate you tuning in and glad you're enjoying the RR thus far. :D
    Jeremy's a great rider. He, Mike and Russ were great throughout the whole trip in assuring and helping me relax.
    They were confident and in turn I was confident. Team work! :kumbaya
  7. 250Keith

250Keith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read all 6 pages!! very cool, I'm in! Love the photos and writing :clap
  8. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Thank you, 250Keith! Thanks for checking out our RR & tuning in! Will be posting more shortly. KTM Rally and UTBDR up next! :D
  9. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the info Anne Marie! I will keep these in mind when we plan to visit Australia/New Zealand.

I'm still new to this ADVrider site. I still can't figure out where to go to see subscribers info. :scratch
  10. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    DAY 7 Continued: 2013 KTM Rally, Steamboat Springs, CO
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Day 1 of the Rally

After we checked in to The Grand and over-indulged in one of the best Mexican Foods in CO, we headed out and walked to the KTM Rally where the vendors were still setting up their tents.

KTM Rally registrants were welcomed by The Grand in style!
    With the new 1190 Adventure R front and center!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my first rally ever so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Honestly, I was pretty intimidated, kinda felt like Elle Woods walking into Harvard. :lol3
    I'm not much of a gear head in terms of the inner workings of the mechanics, but I respect the beauty and the art of mechanics. :norton
    I'm more of a bookworm, so if there are written instructions. :deal
    Whether it be writing a formula in Excel, baking a cake, putting together a lighting fixture, building a desk to changing tires, I'm willing to learn and try.
    [​IMG]

Lovely sunflowers along the walk...
    [​IMG]

The set up was still pretty light as people were just arriving, both vendors and registrants.
    [​IMG]

These awards would be handed out later at the Awards Dinner on Day 3 of the Rally.
    [​IMG]

We picked up our SWAG...
    [​IMG]

Swag Bag: T-shirt, hat plus free gloves and lanyard from Thor booth along with discount and rebate cards from other vendors.
    [​IMG]

We walked around and got the lay of the land.
    The guys did their thing while I listened, watched, learned and took in as much information as I could. :deal
    Everyone was super friendly, nice and very informative!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of 1190 Adv R Demo bikes to be tested!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'll start out with this bike! :lol3
    [​IMG]

RedBull. They are everywhere. They have a lot of wings! :lol3
    [​IMG]

In addition to the Demo Rides, there were group rides, guided rides or you could go out on your own and explore the routes the Rally Team put together.
    I opted to take a break over the weekend and play tourist. Besides, I knew Jeremy needed a little guy time on his own with his buds and ride like a real crazy wild man! :lol3
    [​IMG]

We decided to walk back to The Grand. Still pretty full from dinner, we all just chillaxed and settled into our rooms and had a good night's rest. :snore

I'm going to keep the posts of the Rally Weekend a little lighter than typical and try to cover the highlights, but if you'd like to see more pics, you can find them here. Feel free to peruse. :D
  11. DARKRYDER

DARKRYDER Hung Up My Boots for Now

Oddometer:
    The bike in the lobby was actually the standard 1190 Adventure, not the R. Both bikes are quite a bit lower than my 2010 990 R, but a set of knobbies would raise it up a bit. Felt too much like a street touring bike to me, but was fun to take a demo ride. Those rally bikes and that white 990 Baja Edition were siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Free Red Bulls all weekend was nice too :1drink

12. Quackersnacker

Quackersnacker Style points -10

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a trip so far. But like a good book, I keep going back and re-reading, and the pictures ROCK!
    Sub'd, and waiting patiently for more...
  13. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Hi Quackersnacker! Thank you for sub'ing! :clap Glad you've enjoyed the report thus far. I will get back to posting again tomorrow. Thanks for being patient, it'll be worth it when we get into UT! :evil
  14. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    :lurk
  15. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Prev,

[​IMG]

sorry for the late response to your question on page 5 regarding bypass on road cr-14pp in section 3 of COBDR. Work has been hectic lately. Although the COBDR calls this the main route for 14pp it is really just a 2 track farm road off the main route of easy gravel road 14pp. Although Butler maps calls them Razor Dome rd and Home Gulch rd I don't remember seeing any signs with those names on it. Garmin maps just calls them cr-14pp forks. Anyways fun little roads - but don't dare take them if it is muddy - you won't get out.

I met the land owner on the way out and he was glad to see ADVriders enjoying those roads - Wow that was a twist.

Great report and more fun ahead.

Mike Z
  16. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    DAY 8: 2013 KTM Rally, Steamboat Springs, CO
    Day 2 of the Rally
    9/13/13

Dang! KTM knows how to serve up a delicious breakfast!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today, the Rally was jam packed with riders and vendors.
    The camaraderie on display was amazing for me to witness.
    Everyone was so friendly, respectful, sincerely appreciative and genuinely helpful.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy Lewis was in the house doing demos.
    Honestly, me being new to this realm, I had no idea who he was, until Mike gave me the 411.
    All I knew, from what I saw was, "Damn! This guys is amazing with what he can do on the bike while moving and stationary!"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got to see some "beyond cool" bikes. I'll let the guys explain, when they can, why these bikes are cool.
    All I can say is, the stickers are awesome! :lol3
    [​IMG]

Custom welding work on this one was very cool.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We ran into Rob and Justin and showed them the pics/vids of Black Bear, Tin Cup and the Beaver Pond water crossing.
    They cracked up at the crossing! The water, when we crossed it, was higher than when they crossed it when putting the COBDR together. :eek1
    [​IMG]

Jeremy bought a pair of side crash bar bags and bottle with holders while I got to meet and play with Black Dog and friends. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike bought some air hose seal/release caps (hope I got that right :dunno)...
    [​IMG]

Since the guys were doing their thing, I needed some wheels to get around town...
    [​IMG]

Jeremy drove around town with me for a bit.
    He wanted to check out the other locations they were doing demo/lesson rides and we ran into Mike who took the riding class with Jimmy Lewis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our timing was perfect! The riding class was just finishing up then we'd grab lunch in town. This place was yummilicious!
    Lunch wasn't included in the Rally registration price, just breakfast and dinner.
    [​IMG]

This ad is just so wrong, I had to post it...
    [​IMG]

Back at The Grand, the guys tinkered with their bikes and installed their earlier purchases. Russ, in the meantime, had been keeping himself busy with demo rides and lessons.
    Jeremy taking off the highway pegs (which he would later sell because he never used them) to install the side crash bar bags...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike installing his airhose caps...
    [​IMG]

Mike celebrating for all the hard work they just did! :lol3
    [​IMG]

After a little bit of R&R... we met up for dinner.
    We ran into a group of riders who had just come from UT via Dinosaur Monument and they gave us the 411 that the BDR route for that segment was closed. :(:
    We're going to try to meet up with them the next day to get some info on their alternate routes and look at their maps.
    Dinner and dessert was awesome!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During the rally we ran into Chris & Kelly in their vendor booth. We also would run into them over dinner. Finally got a good pic with Region Riley! :clap
    I was also recognized as tuffenuff and greeted by Joel (NSFW) during the rally! But didn't get a pic with him. :(: Next time, Joel!
    [​IMG]

Nothing like a little friendly competition to work off some of the dinner meal. :evil
    We first went into town for a little bowling action. I was not allowed to take any pics of the scores, but I got 157 & 122, not too bad considering
    I was using a house ball and it was dark with just the disco lights running. The guys were mad and didn't want to play anymore. :lol3:lol3:lol3

Back at The Grand, the boys wanted to keep playing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike ruled the Hockey machine. Things were pretty even with Air Hockey.
    [​IMG]

Russ and I participated as well. Thereafter, Russ didn't want to play with me anymore. :lol3:lol3:lol3
    [​IMG]

Well, the guys had had enough and decided to call it a night while I caught up on my journal and planned my day of touring tomorrow. :snore
  17. tuffenuff

Oddometer:
    Hiya Alleycatdad! Thanks for tuning in to our RR. :D
  18. tuffenuff

Oddometer:

Thanks, Mike! No worries. :D
    We've been doing quite a bit of travelling and such, but I am back now and picking up where I left off with the RR. More good stuff to come!
  19. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    I'm only on page three and just watched the videos coming down the pass in the fog and dark. Subscribed and RESPECT!!! :bow. :bow
  20. liviob

liviob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grreat writeup! Seems like most of your ride was offroad and doable for two up riding. Except for the rocky road. :flip How many miles and days to complete your trip?