Best Tank Bag for 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rockwell, Aug 15, 2009.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Giant Loop Fandango. :thumbup

Doesnt get in the way when youre standing or when youre up over the tanks in corners. The KTM bag is just too damned big for any off road riding, its just plain obtrusive and gets in the way. If you ride like a grandma at 20 mph with your butt on the seat the whole time I guess the KTM bag would be ok as it holds a ton of shit.

I used the Fandango tank bag over 50,000 miles and not one single issue, well built, bombproof product. I normally dont like to suggest equipment as everyone is different, but I think this bag is exceptional.

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collections/giant-loop-gear-collection/products/fandango-tank-bag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Just noticed this thread is 3 years old. Guess I'm a little late. :lol3
  2. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the touratech tank bag. I find very practical. No need to put the straps under seats and forks, just change the 4 bolts and you place it in 10 seconds, and take it of in 5. It is very solid also with the extra space open. I dont have a waterproof cover, but 5 years now, no water has enterd.

[​IMG]
  3. zeropoint

zeropoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey guys, thanks for all the offerings. maybe i should have started a new thread rather than necro bumping this one. i've been looking at all these suggestions but this is primarily for a summer european road tour - off road element will be minimal.

i was hoping to find something that answered all of these requirements:

easy zip on and off
    works as a rucksack
    has a built in stowable helmet carrier

i like the sleek, minimal lines of the fandango but I think it only has the grab handle for carrying (?) I'd really like to be able to carry my tankbag on my back when off the bike and keep my hands free. Same goes for the helmet. I don't really want to leave it on the bike and carrying it in your hand is a pain if you're doing much wandering on foot.

the kriega system is excellent but, although the US 5, 10 and 20, can all function as tankbags with the tank adapter, they cannot function by themselves as rucksacks. They can however be attached, as expansion bags to any of the kriega rucksacks and they are without doubt fully waterproof without rain covers. i'm thinking of picking up a couple of US10s or 20s to sit on top of my sw motech trax evo aluminium boxes.

kriega do however do a neporene helmet skin with d rings on it that i could use, with a piece of webbing and clips to attach to the bottom of a tankbag's rucksack straps, so i may well pick one of those up.

mmmmm, so looks like i'm down to a famsa or ktm tank bag with rain covers and the kriega helmet carrier. i'd possibly go with the fandango if it had rucksack straps - an orange one would suit my orange bike and the giant loop great basin, should i decide to go that route for my soft luggage option.

thanks again everyone
  4. zeropoint

Oddometer:
    thanks elias, i posted before is saw your reply. touratech bag is definitely in the mix too. do those four bolts come with the bag?
  5. elias

elias Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they come with the tank bag. It also has three rings outside to put straps and make it backpack (dont remember if the straps are in it, but anything works). I have used it like this and it really is very usefull.

Also if you take the tank bag with you why leave behind the part that zips on the bag, if this gets lost or breaks can you find anothere? The touratech is only one part and if a cord cuts of, you can easy fix it on your own. (never happend to me)

By the way i am not a touratech dealer, i just love my tank bag.
  6. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the KTM tank bag for two seasons and while I never really found it was in the way when standing (and I am up on the pegs the second the pavement runs out), I did find that I could never get the thing to hold on tight enough and it always seemed to be shifting from one side to the other. The other thing that annoyed me about it was far from water tight. Not an issue when riding but when parked the stuff inside would get wet. Of course, I never had the silly shower cap when I needed it.

This year I've traded up to the Enduristan Sandstorm. I haven't left it out in the rain yet (it is supposed to be waterproof) but I can tell you now that it holds on tight!

7. zeropoint

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input everyone. I went for the new Enduristan Sandstorm 2 Enduro.

Rock solid on the bike and quick and easy on and off
    Waterproof out of the box
    Hold its shape when empty and easily expandable
    Full size map pocket

Plus I emailed Enduristan about a couple of female buckles, with which I can add a couple of small extension straps that will have it functioning as a rucksack too.......and they're going to send me them FOC. Brilliant service!

I have had my eye of the Kriega gear too - thanks for that - and they just brought out a fantastic soft luggage and rotopax system, the Overlander 60. Nice......

http://www.kriega.com/overlander-60/
  8. sabink

sabink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine recently got KTM tank bag and I was surprised that it was different than mine. It seems that KTM have changed it and now its smaller.

The best think about KTM bag is that it has 3 outside pockets and the map pocket is with outside access. I usually put my phone in there and also other stuff I need easy access.

Which of the other bags has 3 outside pockets, outside access to map pocket and fast zipper take off?
  9. Alex_RO

Alex_RO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like an identical (maybe just a tad smaller) tankbag to the KTM / Famsa one... http://varaderofreaks.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/sw-motech-enduro-tank-bag/ (a random link from the web, no affiliation)

I got one thanks to special deal but i haven't had the time/opportunity to use it yet. I'm a bit nervous about the zip base since it's an additional failure point (at least that was the case on the Famsa tankbag).
  10. sabink

sabink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bag is exactly the same as the KTM one. It seems KTM just re-branded it.
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get that? I'd like to check one out because my KTM TB isn't waterproof & didn't come with a rain cover when I bought it used.
  12. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice bag-- thanks for that.
  14. veltex

veltex powerball win needed

Oddometer:
    If someone didnt mention it already, I have real good luck with the Wolfman Express, it holds enough (and expands) but most importantly lets me stand without any issues. I stand a lot so this is key for me, have a bigger Wolfman if needed, but rarely use it.