Day Trippin Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by alcanrider, Jan 8, 2013.

1. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sounds great , yeah im having same issues with the cities, crowds and noise .. keep to myself mostly because of it and just ride my bike daily heading towards the hills .

Im from just outside Wasilla by Big Lake so we didnt have much for crowds and traffic . I am enjoying riding in jan for sure !!!

bought this bike 1 july and have 7500 miles now ..back home i wouldnt touch it till June . i love exploring Colorado and the old mining trails and cabins .. Feels like back home with our Mining history ..

Too Bad Temps drop this weekend id have a excuse to ride up your way ..

I bought a old xt350 so i can go deeper into the woods with less effort last month .
  2. cmacfar

cmacfar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're doing ok. Do you think the bike wiped out on sand or was there a slick spot on the road? Being a wussy adventurer I tend to avoid the mtns. in the winter because of the sand more than the cold as it's slick as snot and was to "blame" for my first wreck on a bike.

Regarding the Stanley, interesting bit of trivia I guess, none of the movie was actually filmed there including the exterior shots but Stephen King did write portions the book there. My Uncle who is in the film business thought the bar scenes were filmed there but when he was in town we went up and were told otherwise. One movie that does have a shot from the hotel though is Dumb and Dumber when they run up the stairs when they're supposedly in Aspen. The Hotel is a cool place to stay though and the "ghost tour" of the place is very cool. They often run a deal where you get a night at the hotel and two tickets for the tour plus 20% off at the restaurant on Groupon and the likes that I would highly recommend.

Great pictures by the way as well and I very much enjoyed the report. Makes me want to man up and get up to the Mtns the next warm weekend!
  3. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Didn't know that about the Stanley. I was wondering where the maze went to. It was a combination of both sand and ice. They covered up the icy spot with the sand, and it was really kind of a fluke, because 3 inches in either direction I would have been out of danger and would not have wrecked. Bad luck on my part.
  4. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That area looks like going back to garmisch austria area dont it ?
  5. bilborides

bilborides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nicely done fo a 1st RR.Get better soon.Bet its hard to take a deep breath Ouch!
  6. mdlak

mdlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job Alcan! :thumb
  7. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i was thinking of your report today when i did some errands and in the shady areas here there is still some ice and gravel ..

Wich got me thinking of the first week having my new 2012 Klr ..poor thing either fell over many times due to kickstand or i flopped it in the dirt wich is why i have the mo-tech guards now ..

i was lucky it was a lowspeed fall as i stalled it trying to get fully loaded bike up a short trail on Denali highway for a better pisture .. it taught me to pack it better and always wear my full gear even as slow as i fell i hit ground head first . I was ok but shaken a little ..

Heal up quick ill show you around this end of town .
  8. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I swear those dang KLRs want lay down every chance they get. Thanks for the report, love CO pics.
  9. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is my bike 4 days after it was new .. it had already fallen several times due to kick stand then i went up a hill for a better shot with camera and did a slow tumble when i wheelied and bottomed out .

on day 2 i took off 2 inches of the stand and loaded up still was iffy if it flopped ..

[​IMG]
    this is at Summit on Denali highway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Cool pics wayne. Been a while since i was in the springs. I went to school at Peterson AFB
  11. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i went to castle rock ! lol If you mean military mine started in MO ft lost in the woods ..:D
  12. Rovas

Rovas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Usually Broomfield, ... lately middle of nowhere
    Alcan, Nice report. I live right down the road from you in Broomfield. I've done that route 30 times and it never gets old. The Fall is outstanding. We'll have to get a ride together when I get back (overseas till mid Mar -Military). The Clear Creek Canyon thru Blackhawk and to Estes is also very nice (be careful to stay on the road while you watching all the wildlife).

Ride safe. Bill
  13. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  14. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Bill, Sounds great, keep your head down and be safe, wherever you are. We will go for a ride when you get back.
    Doug
  15. wayne_l

wayne_l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if it wasnt 15 *id ride your way this morning .
  16. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Not agood day for riding or for Bronco football. I knew Manning would choke and throw a late interception. He nearly always has choked. Throw for 4500 yards regular season then chokes during the payoffs. Hope he was worth 95 million. :rofl
  17. TankCommander

TankCommander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a great ride! Cold, but great!
  18. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Feeling a lot better. The Ribs are still sore, along with my Right Shoulder, but can get through the day without any pain meds. Thinking about going out for a ride on Wednesday,(better not tell the wife, hehehehe) it is supposed to be in the sixties Fahrenheit. Gotta love global warming, unless you live at sea level. Earth just going through its weather cycle.
    We really need a lot of precipitation, it is so dry.....I'm a believer, so I pray for rain or snow every day.