KTM freeride 350

Discussion in 'Australia' started by itinerant-in-oz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. brent j

brent j VMX Tragic

Oddometer:
    I looked at one of the KTM accessory bash plates as the original is a bit of a joke. The price was a bit much but the shocker was when they told me there were 55 on back order!

I'm in the process of making one to give a bit (lot) more coverage. Mine covers half of the ignition cover on the left and the water pump on the other side.
  2. jimbo74

jimbo74 Trail Trundler

Oddometer:
    No, he didn't. He implied it was being refined and perfected as opposed to anything "wrong" with it. I guess he would need to say that. :wink:
  3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Trail Trundler

Oddometer:
    Did it go significantly better with just these 2 mods?
  4. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it was way to lean I did not try to find out how well it went in fear of cooking something.
    I'm not sure what map was in the stock ecu to start with it could have very possibly been the restricted map even though the bike was supplied with the air restrictor/filter cover removed.
    The bike felt lean from the day it was delivered.

I used the bazzaz z-fi unit with there self tuner, Its easy to use and works really well.
    I set it up with two maps one for power and one for fuel economy.
  5. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:

Are you playing with things made post 1980 Joe ? A bit dangerous dont you think?
  6. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Yes Podge but I'm only playing with them for a friend.
  7. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    DrJoe, please tell me more about the bazzaz z-fi, where from?, how much? I'm desperate to get my fueling right.
    Do you have to get them fitted and tuned on a dyno ?
  8. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. One67

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm very interested, when you connect the Z-fi and the Z-afm and ride the bike ,

Does it make a record of the mixture at all revs and throttle openings, which you can upload onto your laptop and then change the figures to create your own map with the right mixtures ?
  10. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
    You give the afm a target air file ratio and it will work out how much fuel it needs to add or takeaway from the stock map, you then retrieve the data and apply the changes.

You can edit any part of the map manually and there is an option to smooth out the map after you've made changes.
  11. One67

Oddometer:
    OK, that sounds easy enough. I've used tuning software to upload different maps onto my Superduke, but never made my own map.

On Superduke.net guys who get custom maps made upload then onto the forum as a hex file, so that others with the same mods can use them by way of the tunecu mapping software.

I've just been looking at the Z-fi and can't find one for the Freeride, the closest one is for the EXC-F 350 which I'm sure has a completely different map to the Freeride.
    Apparently you can change the map with the Z-fi and a laptop without the need for the Z-afm, is this right ?
    Which one did you buy ?
  12. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you do not need the zafm to change the map but unless you've got a dyno or AF meter it might be a bit hard to build an accurate map.

I used the 350exc unit, the bike runs well enough on the map provided to start setting up custom maps.

I had to change where the unit gets its power from but other than that it was plug and play.
    The US 350's have some extra plug that they take power off that aus models dont have, there changing the harnes to suit the Australian models so it might be an idea to order the unit directly off bazzaz so that they know its going to aus
  13. One67

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks for that Joe, I think I'll get the Z-fi and take it to a dyno to get a map done properly, because I haven't done it before.
  14. One67

Oddometer:
    Hey Drjoe, I've just sent you a pm.
  15. One67

Oddometer:
    Just got my Freeride back from the dyno tuner and it feels so much better.

With the original map I could feel that it was lean with the pre filter off and gauze removed from the mufflers.
    It was actually dangerously lean, 15 to 20% extra fuel had to be added in the low rev range, up to 5000rpm.
    From 5000rpm upwards it got really bad ,and up to 50% extra fuel had to be added to get it up to a safe level.

When I picked up my bike new ,the dealer told me that they had just put in a new map that KTM had sent them.
    My dyno tech told me that even with the filter box and gauze, it would have been too lean.
    I don't know if the dealer techs stuffed up and put the wrong map on my bike (they would never admit it) but they are still telling freeride owners that it's ok to remove the pre filter.

Anyway here's the results of the custom re-map (fuel only, ignition map untouched)

Power 36bhp at the wheel

Torque 25 ft-lbs @7000rpm, 21ft-lbs @5000rpm
  16. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    Holy moses:)
    Thats god.
    Tell us more on the feling off drive it after the remap.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
  17. One67

Oddometer:
    I only took it for a small ride today, but the engine feels so much smoother and easier to rev.

I do love the way this bike handles.

another thing I forgot to mention was that I used a die grinder to cut big holes in the plastic thing inside the foam filter before it went on the dyno.
  18. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    Ok i get it!
    My wife has one and i like the litle thing.
    I have a 990 adv r and a 690 enduro r.
    I think off trade the 690 to a freeride.
    Becuse 990 and 690 ar too similar.

But i think the freeride engine was litle week.....until now :)
    I tink the 990 and freeride would match etcather better. 690 is litle havy in hard terrian

19. One67

Oddometer:
    I'm the same, I have a 990 Superduke and the Freeride, life is good:evil
  20. blakken

blakken dirt napper

Oddometer:
    Did you change the gearing on the freeride.
    If it could go faster and still pull on low speed i would pull off a deal.