More Colorado riding (Is there anywhere else?)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Deano955, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Seems like the Colorado guys are monopolizing the ride reports lately.
    It sucks to be us.

I had a half day pass for Sunday and was able to get out with Doubletrackmind for some dirt exploration around Georgetown Co ( according to my son Dax, home of the coolest narrow guage railroad loop around).

We hit the pavement around 07:30. The route to the mountains is one of the best sport riding loops anywhere. I would say twice the curves that Deals Gap boasts, but we are spoiled in Colorado. Lots and lots of canyons with curves that would make a playmate of the month envious.
    [​IMG]

The plan was to explore some forest service roads and dirt trails from Mt. Evans to Georgetown.
    [​IMG]

Us taking a break on the back way to Squaw Pass.

After riding 40 miles of twisties we came to our first opportunity for exploration.
    [​IMG]

Looking up Devils Canyon we consulted the map. The map said the trail is only a loop. It looked like fun but we were on a limited time schedule and wanted to get to Georgetown so we passed. Another day.
    [​IMG]

"How 'bout here?" Up Ute Creek to find Lamartine and Saxon Mt. This was a great 4X4 road to explore. It parrallels a creek (thus the name) and was a blast on the KLRs.
    [​IMG]
    We ran into a bunch of ATV riders at the top. They gave us bad directions (hot!) to Georgetown but we ended up all right.
    [​IMG]

The route landed us in a dirt track so being the hardcore badasses that we are, how could we resist?
    [​IMG]

Esteban aint got nothin on us...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    After a while at the track we just couldn't out do ourselves any more. The display of riding talent could only be described as "shock and awe."

Tick tick, time to move on...
    [​IMG]
    Here's a shot that sums up the road. Steep, rocky and fun.
    [​IMG]

After a delicious and nutritious lunch at Subway we were off to Georgetown by way of 85mph on I-70. Normally, I love that kind of speed but not on a KLR 650 with knobbie tires. The front end wobbles like Oprahs backside.

A short ride up Guenella Pass lead us to paydirt or, um paycreek.
    [​IMG]

This trail on the way to Waldorf Mine steeply climbed over several water crossings, ultimately leading to this section. The trail was a creek, the creek was the trail. Doubletrackmind went for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] I'm standing in the creek, taking pics while he rides up it, when it dawns on me to check the time. I had to be home by 1:30. It was 12:30 and I knew we were at least 1 1/2 hours from home. My arse is grarss...

About face. Doubletime Doubletrack!
    [​IMG]

Lets Go!!!
    [​IMG]

We hauled over Guanella, passing tourists as fast as I could, I left John behind. I managed a couple more pics while waiting for him.
    [​IMG]

This road is a blast.
    [​IMG]

Riding like a superhero I made it to 285 in mere moments. I waited for John to emerge then hauled as fast as this 40hp POS could take me back to Littleton. I was 35 minutes late. My wife was gone. My kids were at the neighbors. After a shower, she called. She is still slightly pissed.

Thanks John for a great half day of dual sporting. We will have to make it back there with more time.

Until next time...
    Deano
    [​IMG]
  3. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Great pix and story. Guess Colorado is on my list for an Adventure Ride in the next couple of years. I crave all the awesome photos and write-ups from everyone here, it is ADDICTING !!
  4. marndo

marndo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. Wish we didn't have the eco-nazis here in SoCal making it impossible to experience the kind of terrain you get to play in. If you CO riders keep posting these kind of reports I may just need to make a trip there before winter sets in.

keep'em comin!
  5. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    Dean,

My wife would have made my life very bad if I had shown up late and she had to leave the kids with the neighbors. Good to see you guys getting out. If you think that a KLR is a 40 HP POS then you need a few lessons in Asset Management. My KLR goes as fast as my Ducati when all is said and done. It feels slow though. Thanks for writing up the report, it is always interesting and fun to read them.

Steve
  6. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Steve,

I say the KLR is a 40hp POS in the sweetest sense. It gets me places I have never been before- but certainly not quickly.

My wife has forgiven me for being tardy. In fact I have been given a 6 day pass starting Friday. I'm thinking Jackson Hole on the Tiger, by way of Steamboat and the Triumph Rat Rally this weekend. Pics will surely follow.

Dean
  7. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    Nice job Deano :thumb

Devil's Canyon is a short romp (maybe 2 miles?) up to a fire lookout on Squaw Mtn. Nice view from up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did you make it up to the Waldorf Mine site? You could have tried the trail rather than the creek... :lol3

[​IMG]

I love all the areas you rode since they are so close to home.... :freaky
  8. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Thanks for the pics. I was wondering what it looked like up there in Devils Canyon.
    We did not make it up to the Waldorf site because of the time issue. We will do it soon though and you're welcome to come along if you like.

Deano
  9. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    COOL!

Let me know.... :evil
  10. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny I ran into these photos, I live in littleton also, i went up to Mt. Evans today on my GS, thought about Squaw Pass but same reason as ya'll had...kitchen pass expired too early. Some of those photos you showed though...man..I think my KTM is much more suited than the GS. I guess this is the eternal question of adventure riding...dual sport or pure dirt...and man those lines get blurry.

here's the pics from this AM:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Colo,
    Ktm, GS, it's nice to have choices. Looks like Big Dave had no problem with his GS on these trails. Welcome to the asylum.
  12. Doubletrackmind

Doubletrackmind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report. I set up a smugmug account and'll get a couple of pictures up later today.

Hey, I'm glad to here about your long weekend ride but now I guess I have to find someone else to go riding with this weekend.
  13. Doubletrackmind

Doubletrackmind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first image is Deano with the, should we be trusting these four wheelers, look on his face. Of course we shouldn't of and yes they did send us in the opposite direction we wanted to go. Apparently that power line goes straight to Georgetown. Next time I'll know to follow it west:thumb

[​IMG]

Here is Deano playing under the power lines

[​IMG]

Deano Trying an old idian trick to determine direction. Moments before I clicked this imaged he was on his knees smelling the tire tracks.

[​IMG]

Finally, on the beautiful trail to the waldorf mine Deano makes an easy job of aone of the trails water crossings.

[​IMG]
  14. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Thanks for joining in on the report John. I like all the pics of the area.

I'm sure you can get someone to ride with this weekend. I leave for Steamboat Sat 0800. Wyoming on Sunday then maybe Idaho on Monday. I'm stoked.

Later,

Deano
  15. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    Nice one folks! That all looks like perfect terrain. Narrow Double track, NO farging bowling balls all over the hills, not 300 miles from the nearest fuel station,

Perfect.
  16. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    We got back out there today to make the right turn (actually a left) at the top of Lamartine.

Turns out the bowling balls had rolled onto this side of the ridge.
    [​IMG]
  17. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    The half day pass can be a beautiful thing. John's came with a little trouble this time. He had to quibble a bit with Mrs. Doubletrack about the honey-do list that is getting too long around their house. Ultimately, we were released to head back up into Georgetown.

Earlier we turned away from Georgetown at the top of Lamartine. Today we made the correct turn to take us up and over Saxon Mountain. The dobletrack trail, number 712, was the most challenging trail to date.
    [​IMG]

The climb up was extremely rocky. Bowling balls everywhere. We both managed to tip over climbing the loose and steep stuff. It was worth the effort for the views at the top and the ride back down into Georgetown.
    [​IMG]

On the way down we ran into these 2 ATVers. Turns out that one of them was John's neighbor that moved away a couple of years ago. Small world.

A shot overlooking Georgetown.
    [​IMG]

Another showing the switchbacks that lead down. Bump de bump the whole way.
    [​IMG]

Bumpin down some more...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We didn't have time to get up to Waldorf but no big deal. This trail ride was just what the chiropractor ordered (good thing I've got an appointment tomorrow).

We slabbed it back home to complete this installment of what to do with a half day pass. 5 hours, 110 miles.
    [​IMG]

To be continued... Hopefully
  18. Esteban

Esteban Banned

Oddometer:
    Dean and John,

The Saxon Mountain route is a nice one. Glad you found and enjoyed it.

Steve