I want I want I want - new(er) bike advice

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mark_S, Mar 2, 2013.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Older Tiger or Transalp?
  2. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    That Transalp 700 looks about the best alternative so far, plus its a Honda and they are bloody well built IMHO.

Or get a KLR.
  4. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Reckon a TDM900 is worth test riding. I bought new a 1st-gen 1992 TDM850 and quite liked it. Over the revisions they just got better and betterer (at least on paper).

I really liked the stonking motor, super comfortable seat/ergos, sharp brakes and great long-travel fully-adjustable suspension. There were two big gotchas for me at the time: poor wind protection so very cold riding for hours at night, and too top heavy for off-road work. 30,000km in a year and I sold it because I was doing too many highway miles so got a Trophy 900 which was way warmer so much less tiring. I should have got the Tiger 900 as it had everything the TDM had, plus good wind protection, but I was scared off that class of bike by then. Several years later I had both the Trophy AND a Tiger.

It really was a hooligan go-anywhere bike. Seemed to soak up everything I threw at it on rough gravel roads. Commuting around Sydney, I knew lots of places where I could get it airborne, and did so habitually... which nearly bit me in the bum when I changed to the Trophy :eek1 :lol3. It would snap your arms out of their sockets changing up to 5th above 200km/h. Smoky 3rd gear burnouts on the dirt. Hmmm, rallies have a lot to answer for, eh? :evil Swapped out the twin 35/35W headlight globes for a pair of more typical 55/60 watters, and wow! more light than I ever needed. Have seen plenty with hard luggage fitted, and knobblies if you want to go there. Oh, one drawback with the power delivery: at 2800-2900 rpm the power cut in like a two stroke 125 MXer hitting band. That meant on loose dirt it would spin up, on firm rock it would wheelie. Not a lot of fun when picking your way up a really snotty 4wd track. Great fun when short-shifting up to 5th on a straight gravel road :D

Had a pretty lousy touring range although probably better than a sportsbike. The tank looked big but it was a thin pancake wrapped around the battery (and airbox?). That's one thing that improved throughout the years.

No doubt I wouldn't be so impressed with the engine or the suspension these days, but I guess I'm saying: try it, you may like it.

If you really want bump compliance you need long travel suspension. Although almost any road bike will handle occasional gravel roads no problemo, bumpy backroads (and state highways!!) need something more than even well-fettled road suspension. DAMHIK. Adventure bikes like Trannies & Tigers just cope better. They also have a broader spread of power. An "885" efi Tiger 1999-2000 might do you well, too. I can't recommend any of the 900-badged bikes, they had a few foibles which impacted their durability.
  7. igormortis

igormortis Cafe Reise

Oddometer:
  8. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    650 tranny.

Or wait a little while and see what the 2014 v stroms are like as at the the 1000 is supposed to have a significant redesign that looks promising. Though new they will be out of your price bracket.
  9. Old Kiwi#99

Old Kiwi#99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    cookies, brakes and power are a pretty compelling combination

I'm keeping my eye open.....

I'm not as worried about losing my license as much as losing my life. I figure I can handle a little more power than the klr and remain sensible-ish - more than about 70hp and the dormant inner hooligan will spring forth at inopportune moments and see me wrapped around a tree.

welcome to the world of the klr rider. I count myself fortunate that no one will ride on the back of my bike (except boxabitch when his airhead expires - he has no standards)

That fuel range would be a killer - I loath planning my ride around where the next gas station is. I'd have to get someone to glue the selector into rain mode so I would have a chance of surviving. I'd love to take one for a spin though.

for no real reason both these bikes scream "pipe and slippers". No justification and never ridden either.

it worries me that my prejudices might cause me to miss out on trying a bike that would suit me.....

I probably should at least ride a 955 before dismissing it out of hand.

yup a 700 transalp looks like a possible or as you say - a klr (if it wasn't as beaten as mine and had a better front brake and a few more ponies)

I have been considering another klr with a supermoto front disc (about $200us) and another 685 kit ($300 us) and maybe some cams ($400 us) but it all adds up...

the stupid tank size (sub 10L?) makes these a non contender - plus I really would prefer a twin.

I don't own a DR so this isn't a logical step forward for me.

Yes a TDM is right up there - just waiting for an accessible one to appear so I can go and have a look - there was one in Nelson with givi luggage at a car yard but I can't find it on tard me anymore.

Your comment about suspension is a real biggy. Most of my road riding seems to be longish (10-12hr) day rides over bumpy middle north island and wairarapa back roads and compliant suspension will make a big difference to fatigue. The klr is quite good in this respect.

and it would need to - its an orphan with a tiny tank and a seat made from mahogany that short people can't ride and is too big for a trail bike.

I think a 700 tranny is way preferable to a 650. I suspect the whole process will take a while as I need to travel to try some of these bikes and time is a bit limited at the moment - plus the longer you wait the greater chance of the right bike appearing at a great price - just got to figure out what the right bike is.

If I was to buy a beemer of any type I'd want a low mileage one otherwise I'd live in fear of being financially violated whenever work needs doing by the dealer.

seems like good value for what it is though

So the contenders is order of untested/unqualified/unjustified preference are
    Versys
    TDM
    transalp 700
    Tiger 955
    690SM (mice one or tard me)
    maybe a 650 vstrom maybe... (ugly ugly ugly)
  11. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    rode a ER6-F kwaka 650 ninja today - same motor/frame as the versys. Motor seemed better than the klr in every way possible - would pull (gently) from a little over 2000rpm . foot-peg position sucked balls. Suspension wasn't bad for a wannabe sport-bike. KLR with this motor would be really nice - a poor mans gs800.

I'm off to Hastings tomorrow to ride a versys. Got the whole day so I'm going up via the 'tukas and Martinborugh then up the coastal route (R52 middle road etc). If I've got the energy I'll come back via Taihape-Kimbolton-Ashurst etc.

Got to work Saturday to make up for it though...
  12. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call in for a cuppa if you're anywhere near here around lunch time. I've got the bike you REALLY want to test ride sitting in my shed. :wink:

You know you want a DR...
  13. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Google "KLRE650"
    Repsolrider's conversion is very cool.
  14. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer but timing didn't quite work out. I went to and from Dannieverke via Top Grass rd and Ballance Valley rd - cool road's

Yes a quality job thats for sure. I could never attempt anything of that complexity (if all you needed was a hammer I might be able to make it work...)

Well I rode the versys and it was very tidy and fine to ride but it wasn't dramatically better than the klr.

The versys has a better motor and marginally better front brake but in every other regard - comfort, wind protection, handling, gearbox I prefer the klr. I've asked them to come up with a tradeup cost but unless its really attractive I won't buy it.

I'm pleased to announce that I've fixed the oil leak from the oil filter lid and the rack didn't come adrift and since I've played with the jetting (for the stock pipe) I've gone from 15km/l to 18-19km/l

Hey Nordie - are you still happy with the shinko 705's? - the e09 on the back of the klr is now dead
  15. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem is that you've modifed the KLR so much to suit your own ideal (recluse, pegs, very upright stance etc) that you'll struggle to find anything else that matches what you want from it (unless perhaps you change your requirements & increase your price range a bit). A newer 685 KLR perhaps, & swap the bits across?
  16. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Very.

Money no object, E07 rear/MT21 front.

Scottish heritage, 705's front and rear...
  17. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    yeah I've come to realize that. With the bikes that are just a bit better/faster etc the plus items aren't enough to overcome the minus items.

In terms of size, comfort, ride and handling I'm really happy with the klr. If I'm honest there is enough power (I don't go fast - 120km/hr is about it) its really just the agricultural feel of the engine, the crappy front brake and lately the high maintenance (almost an honorary airhead).

so maybe a supermoto front disk rotor (about $200us) and then a lower mile klr might be an option.

you going on Bart's RRRR?

thanks Nordie

So do I want a SHINKO R 130/80 -17 R705 REAR or a SHINKO E705 130/90x17 REAR DUAL SPORT T/T?

A mt21 front is cheaper than the 705 front so....
  18. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, until my back is much better, I'm off the bike. Thinking a 3 - 6 mth exile. It's coming right - noticeable week on week improvement, but always a background level of discomfort. I did manage to walk to & from work yesterday (and to walk home for lunch & back), so that is a vast improvement on what I could manage a while ago. I don't want to over stress things & end up with a more severe issue.
  19. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Either/or.
    The 90 will be higher geared...
  20. msmckeon

msmckeon Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer:
    Loving the title of this thread by the way............

Don't foget that a motorcycle that is not just being used as a utility vehicle has to move you (emotionally) in some way. Practicality and ticking most of the boxes only goes so far.

Michael