Cost to register bike in Nevada?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by taranaki, Jun 10, 2015.

1. taranaki

taranaki bon vivant

Oddometer:
    Moving to Pahrump from Oregon to establish residency. Tag about to expire. Should I renew in Oregon or will NV require that I re-register there?
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    NV will require you to register here. Fees probably higher that OR, as I remember OR was quite a bit cheaper.
  3. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    I think state law says you have 30 days once you move to NV to register your vehicle with them. By the way, there's no smog checks required in Pahrump on cars and trucks, which is ones of the many reasons I keep looking at property there. and, if you're a military vet with a disability rating of 50-60% or more, you pay about 20% of what everyone else does at the DMV, and you don't pay a property tax on your house.
  4. taranaki

taranaki bon vivant

Oddometer:
    If NV requires an NV tag then I'll wait. Somehow I figured that one could wait 'til the out-of-state tag expired.

FWIW a two-year tag in Oregon is $86. Nevada charges $41 for one year as far as I can tell. It's a wash.
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It depends on the bike. Registration fees are tied to themoriginal MSRP.
  6. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Curious to know what it will do to insurance. My sister just bought a house in Henderson and was surprised to hear that her car insurance doubled from what her policy cost in CA. Here I thought we had the most expensive insurance in America
  7. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    It's in style to talk smack on CA... but you should see auto registration rates on new cars in AZ. :deal Until last year they even required Smog Checks on motorcycles too. We don't even have the worst gun laws in this country but people would have you believe we do. Overall we still have great weather, awesome riding, more beautiful communities and the jobs to support them than most states in this country.

People are just jelly. :lol3
  8. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pahrump is in a different county. Insurance should be cheaper and possibly registration too?

Registration is statewide fee?
  9. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Registration is a statewide fee. But there might be different county BS attached to it. Insurance might be less in Pahrump, get a quote for the zip code.
  10. boonekerley

boonekerley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Registration on my '14 V-strom 1000 (which I just bought new in March) in NV was around $250. It's pretty pricey here. There are mandatory first time registration fees for people just moving to the state or just purchasing a new vehicle here.

As far as motorcycle insurance goes, it's really high here (as is car insurance). By far the best price on motorcycle insurance I have found with full coverage is Dairyland Insurance, which was comparable in cost to motorcycle insurance in other states I've lived in.

The best price on car insurance, believe it or not, is usually Geico. I had several people tell me that Geico was usually the best price here, but I had a hard time believing it at first. I got a quote from them online that was literally half the cost of the next best price.
  11. taranaki

taranaki bon vivant

Oddometer:
    Yikes!

Maybe the 9% of my income I'll be saving won't go far after all!

:eek1
  12. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    They will figure out how to get it from you.
  13. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 07 990s was $86 this year. I would re new in Oregon and not worry about it. I bought my 2010 570 in Oregon and ran that plate down here for 4 years(plate was $40).

Just found my reg for my 2015 250 Freeride.

plate cost recovery fee $ 3.00
    motorcycle safety fee $ 6.00
    prison industry fee(WTF) $ .50
    registration motorcycle fee $33.00
    basic gov services tax $101.00

total $143.50

Insurance $194.00

The 07 990S $177.00

Hus 2010 570 $154.00
  14. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    AZ... any bike with knobbies... $31 total... cha-ching.

Moral of the story... DON'T MOVE TO NEVADA... Even the MOB finally left. :lol3
  15. Falconfixer

Falconfixer It is what it is....

Oddometer:
    I think I would renew in Or before moving also. When I said that you have 30 days to change over, I was telling you what they want from you. Do we do that? shit no. My truck has had Ohio plates since 2011, at $28 per year, vs. the $724 that Nv wanted. Always kept Ohio plates on my H-D as well. I suggest doing whatever's cheapest, for as long as you can get away with it! :evil