Best places to buy upgraded shocks for GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by NewEnglander, Sep 30, 2012.

1. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are some good places to get new shocks for a 2008 GSA? Any good deals out there on Wilber's or Ohlins ect?
  2. aschnell

aschnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got yacugar stuff from Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop for my 09 gsa. He does Wilbers as well.
  3. EZGlider

EZGlider Seeker

Oddometer:
    Was going down the Ohlins/Wilber's road until a couple friends referred me to Hyperpro. Excellent service, quality build, and fantastic performance. I'm a believer. Sold my '07 to get into the last oil cooled GSA (2013); ordered it without ESA to do my own set up, but they also make an ESA kit.

http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-motorcycle-shocks.htm
  4. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Give Rick from Cogent Dynamics in Ashville, N.C. a call. 828-628-9025, www.motocd.com. They gave me a Great price on a pair of ohlins for my 03 FLHTCU. He rebuilds all shocks, front tubes, etc. Also a ohlins dealer. He and his wife work out of their house. Has quite a shop in his basement. I took my front ohlins shock off my GSA, leaking oil. He took it apart, replaced all seals, orings, new oil etc. Charged $110. Really nice people to deal with.:clap
  5. rob

rob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. ewbutler

ewbutler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on Ted Porter. He fixed me up with Wilbers fro my '10 GSA, he answered all questions and schooled me on things I wasn't smart enough to ask. Good price too.
  8. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very satisfied with Elka on my GSA.
  9. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Works Performance:

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

I just had them build a complete set for my 07 GSA sidecar rig. Every shock is custom built for your bike, weight, and riding style. Gil & his boys have been making motorcycle shocks for 30 years.
  10. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had ELKA and Hyperpro..

Can't complain about either..but Hyperpro is a cleaner set up than the ELKA's..no hoses running all over the bike. (ELKA may do them as piggyback now??)
  11. AndyM

AndyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought Wilbers from Ted Porter at the Beemershop and have been very happy with them for around 35k miles now. Would not hesitate to buy from him again.
  12. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Someone mentioned Cogent Dynamics before. No mention of R1200GS/GSA shocks on their website.

Suspension Componenets and Accessories to fit the BMW motorcycles

I hear Penske are completely rebuildable and tuneable, but don't know of any good suppliers.
  13. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    +10 Ted Porter, Beemer Shop, Scotts Valley, CA. Ted possesses in depth knowledge on BMW suspension and more. Stocks many different brands and will discuss pro and cons of each. Small independent shop, personal service, the kind we all wish was never more than a days ride. Cost in the long run is lower when fitted properly the first time.
  14. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    +1 on Klaus / EPM. I put Hyperpro's on my LT and had Klaus set them up for my weight / riding style, etc. I ordered on Tuesday, got them on Thursday. I only needed to adjust the front shock 3 clicks (out of about a million or something :D ) to get it dialed in.
    They literally transformed that bike from a bouncing ball of blithering bobblejuice, to a very tight, almost sport-bike like ride.

:freaky
  15. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would not buy wilbers again..
    Less than a year on the bike, and the rear is leaking.. Ted was great to work with. (When I bought them)
    I've been without my bike for three weeks. The hose running to the preload adjuster leaks, they need to get one from Germany. No idea if it's warranty or not. No idea when they will receive a replacement..:cry
  17. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Is it just the hose that is leaking or the shock seals too? Curious because I am considering a Wilbers purchase and this is the first I have read of a failure. Why wouldn't it be a warranty repair?
  18. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It apparently was both. The seal and the hose to the preload adjuster.
    According to Wilbers, they don't think the hose should be damaged during normal wear and tear, so it must have been done during the install. I don't think so, and it was fine for the first 2,000 miles. They still haven't decided.
    All I know is the day mine arrived in CA for service they said they received 7 for rebuild. That number seems high to me.
    But maybe they have a lot of them in moto-cross bikes etc. and that is a logical number.
    They are going to send it to me without the preload adjuster working, so I can at least ride some this fall. But then, I'm going to have to remove it and send it in again this winter for the hose to the preload adjuster re-connect. That's another job to remove it, and another $40 to ship it..
    Just bad luck. I guess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. My 2009 GSA stock ESA rear seal took a dump at 32K miles, but was heavily overloaded with gear and bad paved roads.

I'm still debating which ESA compatible to replace it with, will not go with the $2000 plus BMW ESA rear though, so Wilbers, Hyperpro or Olins or still to be determined.

Good luck
  20. jachard

jachard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be purchasing some Yacugars from Ted Porter by the end of the year for my GS1150. Ted and I had a great conversation about setup and I'm really looking forward to getting the order placed.

One thing of note which swayed my decision was the fact that the Yacugars have a steel body. Typically I'm all about saving weight but in this instance I feel that steel is the proper material for this application, given the hard use shocks see on these bikes. Just something to consider when one considers what your intended use is.

Cheers, James