AMA Outdoor National MX 2014

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Racer111v, Nov 10, 2013.

1. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    I think they made a good choice. not too many riders can come in at that level (that don't already have a contract) and make a good mark. I think Metty will surprise a few folks. he was strong the past few years and even before that he rode very well, as far back as his Yamaha of Troy days. He's in shape, he's not injured (like a lot of the riders that have come thru SX this year) and he's got a point to prove. he's been looking to get back into the US racing after winning the canadian championship, and I think he'll do very well with the full factory bike.
  2. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:

I believe he'll be the top Australian this season. :D
  3. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    awesome post.
  4. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The forecast for Saturday is 82*f, no low 100's. :clap I will be there to watch the best MX's in the world on the best natural terrain track in the US, who else will be there?
  5. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    wish I were going. I've ridden up (and down!) Mt. St. Helens and Talldega before and wish I were there to see how the top riders do it again...

should be a great weekend, and the racing should be spectacular.
  6. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    The track looks awesome,especially the velodrome. :thumb
  7. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    Unadilla is the opening round? FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3
  8. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    This.
  9. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry but you need to get further away from the Left Coast to see great natural terrain. (I'll give you Washougal) Unadilla is (was) the best in the States until Ward decided to exploit the place.
    Back when they had only two races a year in New Berlin, NY, that was the case, great natural terrain, great loamy soil. Still a great place along with others but your Kalifornia tracks are pretty beat.
    We were at Hangtown last year. I'm glad we went to see one of the other historic tracks in the USA. When that's all you have, you embrace it. I'm sure you'll have a great time.:freaky
  10. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Southwick has to be mentioned as a great natural terrain track.
    So natural that it wasn't very good for spectator views, was among the worst for parking the semis and setting up the pits, and got dropped off the calendar.

The lack of sand tracks, was 1 now zero, IMHO is why the US MXDN team got pummeled when the race was held at Lommel.
  11. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the Washougal fans haven't chimed in yet. :freaky

Hangtown is a burn out, never did like it much. I wouldn't even put it in the same league as Glen Helen, Washougal, Southwick, Red Bud, etc. However, rough and beat up is what the outdoor Nat's are about. If you want smooth, clean groomed tracks all day stick to SX. Of the major tracks I have raced/ridden I still like Glen Helen the best. I just find it more interesting and challenging then most. Yes I am a bit biased too, we all love our home tracks.
  12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The Historic Hangtown track was up by Placerville,long ways from where it is now on the cement hard clay Prarie City Track. I was at Hangtown in 74/75/76 and it was some great racing on a deep loam track.

They do work pretty hard adding sand and stuff to the current track to make it workable.
  13. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Many of the things were addressed...goofiness was the demise, not lack of interest from the AMA. Granted it is not the best venue for some spectators, but I always liked going. I will miss it and so will the kids. Hopefully, it gets picked back up again.
  14. No Degree

No Degree Blah Blah Blah CSM FFs

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the return volleys and information. I can say one thing that hasn't changed is the enthusiasm for the sport. The fans are same regardless where you are. Passionate, knowledgeable and a little off center. At least that's something that's stood the test of time.:bmwrider
  15. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Washougal is an awesome track, but it is the only national track I've been to besides Glen Helen. GH is awesome too, if a bit dry and dusty. :D
  16. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    considering you still park for free I don't know if I'd call it exploting.

Vintage MX next weekend. :super
  17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
  18. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember the original Southwick, before there were factory team semis. I'd go to Al Zitta's shop in Feeding Hills, Cycle Dynamics, where Honda stored their bikes the week before the event, which was held in May before Southwick became the Sahara in the summer heat.

Those were WORKS bikes, magnesium fork lowers (no USD yet), sandcast magnesium cases, non production frames and swingarms, tires not for sale anywhere, all unobtanium everywhere.
    "That one's for Marty Tripes, that one's for Jimmy Ellis".
  19. IgoFar

IgoFar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really loved the Southwick track, but it sucked for spectating, but I'm still going to miss it. Unadilla was awesome back in the GP days when the track was grass. I haven't been there since the late 80s, but I'm sure it's still great. But I have to say, as far as track layout, and being spectator friendly, with great views of the track from several different spots, it's hard to beat Budds Creek.
  20. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whats the opinion of the Indianna track ,ive only ever been to Lake Elsinore MX (im live in Australia ) ,and i'll be in Indianna for that race , is it good ??