The Xt400 side car (winter project)

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MILLENNIUM FALCON, Sep 30, 2012.

1. MILLENNIUM FALCON

MILLENNIUM FALCON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Its fall and I cant afford to build another bike this year so I am doing the next best thing. I am building a side car for my xt400 project. At least that is the plan. I am totally new to side cars so this could be interesting. I hope that with the help of some very knowledgeable DTT members I will be able to make this happen. My plan is to use parts I have laying around to build most of it. I would like to build a subframe that will bolt on my bike so the side car can be easily removed If I need to. I am planning on using the swing arm and front wheel off of an xs400 I have for the suspension. The front wheel is an 18 and it has a disc brake I would like to use for the car. It is also not as wide as the rear. From what I have seen/read narrow is better for the car, especially with small cc bikes. I turned down the rear axle on the lathe so it would work with the front wheel. I also had to make some wheel spacers. I still need to make a caliper mount for the swing arm. This project is in the very early stages so any motivation/inspiration is appreciated. Here is a picture of the bike and wheel. This is all I have so far. Ive done more goggling and reading than actual work so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk I'am in! Looking to build a utility rig for my xr500, I'll be following and watching for Ideas.:clap
  3. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    I've been really busy but I am workin on a design and materials list. I hope to start melting wire soon.
  4. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

I've been thinking of something for my KLR Jr.. Like a go-kart frame with cargo box and a padded top for the occasional monkey. Biggest challenge I think is fitting the subframe and mounts in a way that still leaves room for my foot and kickstarter follow-through...

This is a Doug Bingham prototype for the Marines. It actually folds up for transport.

[​IMG]

I was thinking something like this for suspension:
    http://www.southwestwheel.com/store...ion-half-axles-with-4-4-bolt-circle-hubs.aspx

No brake, although I think a disc could be added. I would rather beef up my bike front brake with EBC pads, two pot caliper, thicker disk, and stainless line.
    The rig would only be for around town and snow day grocery runs. Mainly for the fun of building it.
  5. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim!
  6. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. rhino_adv

rhino_adv Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed :lurk

Brad
  8. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Hey Alex! Hope you and all the family's been well! Staying out of the way of large vehicles?
  9. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ural has been DOA since March, engine grenaded itself and then picked it up on July 12, grenaded itself as I pulled ou tof the shop's lot on the side of 295. Engine is out in Redmond for a full tear down, TI and rebuild.
  10. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Jeez. My IMZ doesn't seem to want to exercise itself much either. Much rather stay in the shed and get fussed over.
  11. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Yeah I plan to start the sub frame tomorrow. That will be a pain but once it is done the rest should progress quickly. My bike has electric start that I use about 99% of the time but I would like to be able to use the kicker in an emergency. My biggest problem I think will be the angled adjustable braces that go from the car UP to the bike frame. I saw that little KLR it looks like a functional piece of fun.

12. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

I enjoyed the XT build, this should be good too.
  13. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Well, I finally got a chance to start working on the sub-frame for the car mounts. I am happy with how it came out. It should be plenty strong. I tied into both foot-peg mounts and the skid-plate mounting bolts. The frame is all one piece. It is mostly 1/4", with the exception of the front mount, that is 3/8" I will be attaching the the hinge points for the car on the flat plate. My plan is to make a big set of hinges out of heavy wall pipe. There will be 2 pieces on the bike and 3 on the car. They will fit together and then a big pin will go through the whole thing. I have a drawing I will post. It took me awhile to get this part figured out but things should roll right along now.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the build.
    Just one point , when you post a pic -hit enter -so the the pics stack instead of string out in a line , which means to veiw you have to scroll sideways. thanks.
  15. grisezd

grisezd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've not done this myself, so first congrats on getting this far! I'm a little worried about your front pickup points, though. Those bolts are going to have to work in shear and I'm afraid they just won't be up to it. Is there a good way to get a larger diameter bolt in there, even if you have to plate it from above?
  16. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah those bolts are the ones that were holding the skid plate on. I used them because that was all I had. I will be replacing them with grade 8 bolts 3/8" they should hold no problem. They shear strength on them is 8,800lbs. Each.
  17. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great I see you are a buncha steps ahead of me . the grade 8 bolts are a great idea, BUT what do they bolt to is my question? I am planning on worm for my DR 650 so any relevant info is great .:D
  18. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    heres how I built the sub frame for my XTR..
    I bought the front up to connect to the front engine mount,
    rear connects to the foot peg bolts and centre stand mount.
    The bike is still able to lean... no leading link requred & 3
    bolts , 15 mins to remove/install it..
    bash plate bolts to the sub frame..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    That sub frame looks great! I am going to try to tie into one more motor mount. The bolt I was talking about go into tabs I have welded I the frame for the skid plate mounts. They are pretty beefy
  20. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks that makes it alot clearer as to what I have to do . . almost closed a deal on a DT 175 complete for 75 $ but I was the 3rd contestant instead of being caller 1. Ahh well I will keep scouring the used ads and waiting, in the mean time I can get metal connectors and odds and ends. If all else fails I can make my own swingarm and axle mount . I guess all the welding stuff the navy taught me(structural, TIG MIG Aluminum,uphill.) can be used in the outside world...:evil