F800GS Snatchy Throttle Fixed!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jessehere, Jun 5, 2009.

1. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Installed G2 throttle tamer cam $79- which opens the throttle at a slower rate for the first half of the throttles travel. Super inprovement in first gear especially while off road and standing. No more bucking bronco.
    (Thanks for the tip Dockingpilot -Now go and buy one yourself- it works!) not on website but i called and had it in hand in 2 days.
    http://www.g2ergo.com/

You lose your RIGHT heated grip but I was able to cut open a stock throttle tube and peel off the adhesive heated grip mylar film and stick it on the G2 aluminum throttle tube and wire it externally over the throttle cam housing.Plug and play- No cut wires. You then need a replacement grip which I used BMW part #32721458396 which is $12 bux [​IMG]

sorry camera is broken.
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Hey, I was waiting to see if it worked ! And it does, so Im on it George, thanks.
    Now, do you know about the steering stabilizer........
    :lol3
  3. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    i"ll let you test the steering dampener
  4. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    interestingly, that does not look like the grip that came on my F8....is that a generic BMW grip that fits? or a F8-specific one?

Also looking to de-snatch the throttle...
  5. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    that is the replacement grip from the F650 single. and its a little beefier.

no replacement grips are availble for the stock 800 except with stock throttle tube and they are bonded on.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    isn't that the same tappered grip that bmw uses on every bike?
    i know fjr1300 guys love em.
  7. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's used on on bunch of beemers, but not on the 800's. it was the only one with the right lenght I could find that wasn't bonded onto the throttle tube.
  8. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one. The G2 guys haven't gotten back to me yet but I have a few quick questions for ya:

1. Which G2 model, and which cam (if applicable)?

2. The heated mylar grip, is it between the throttle tube and the handlebar or the throttle tube and grip?

3. Any tips on getting grips on/off?

4. Have you noticed any difference in 'heating' with the newer, and different, grips?

Thanks in advance.

If only there was an electronic fix........
  9. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, pretty much same questions. Also, did you get a matching grip for the left side, and if so, do you have the part number that worked handy (pun pun)?
  10. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    FWIW, My R1200GS exhibited the same snatchy behaviour. Removing the slack from the throttle cable really made a big difference.
  11. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm more interested in just changing the grips to something stickier (the Pro Grip Superbike grips I'm used to), so I too would like to hear any tips or insights on getting the stockers off w/o damaging the heating elements.
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    This grip would work:

This is the grip off a K BMW, with the part # visible - we got two of these, identical, for the left and right sides. They are sold individually, and I think we paid about $15 each.

[​IMG]

And this is the measurement of the inside of one of those new grips - it's 1" or ~25mm.

[​IMG]
  13. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    answers in quote
  14. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    Damn, I just wasted $10 on grips. It did not occur to me that the BMW grips would have non-standard inside diameters & I did not notice the dimensions helpfully posted with the pictures earlier. When I started to peel off the left grip I found that there is a thick plastic tube under it that probably houses the heating element and also makes the required ID of the grip the same as the throttle side. However, it seems to measure 30mm, not the 25mm posted by Embeedee with the photos. What is going on here?

Are my only choices going to be from BMW if I am keeping the stock heaters? The ProGrip Superbike grips I've used on all my bikes for years are not going to work. I'll just have to keep them for another bike, another time. My beef with the stock grips is how smooth they are; I like tacky, sticky grips that let me ride with a light grip (force applied with my hand, that kind of grip).
  15. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Ok, my biggest gripe is the grips. Too small for my hands & too smooth. I'd like to swap them out for the better BMW grips shown above. Guess it makes sense to do both... :) G2 & grips. Crap, projects already..,
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    If you wanted to do just a grip upgrade, I have installed these and like them very much:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html

At $6.00 it is hard to go too far wrong....

The heat is a bit diminished but not much, and they do damp the vibration a bit as well. they are not real "fat" but add enough diameter that I am good to go even with pretty large hands.

I used ArmorAll "detailing spray" as my installation lubricant and did not have any issues getting them on.
  17. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
  18. Singletrack_mind

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea; out of the box thinking that will work for some people.

I did this last night and am test riding today. Rode for an hour in the mountains before work, and I think this option may not work for me. The grip feel and surface is great. Nice amount of 'grip' and cushion without a mushy feel. They also go on surprisingly easily even with no lube. If you put them on dry after cleaning the OEM grips, they are stretched tight enough that they stick well so you don't have to glue them. That means this is an easy thing to try & remove if you don't like it.

However, the enlarged grip diameter caused issues I hadn't foreseen. I don't like the way my controls feel with my hands wrapped around the bigger diameter grips, and between thumb & forefinger it's just too large a diameter for me. O.D. with this solution is 1-3/8". My hands are not small, I wear a size 9L Held glove. I find in particular using two fingers on the clutch in technical stuff is harder. On the plus side, the larger O.D. acts a little bit like a throttle tamer, reducing the effect of jerky accidental inputs.

Also, the Renthal grip is short. The straight section of the grip (not counting the flared guard at the inner end) is only 3-7/8" long. That means the whole grip including the guard fits within the straight "grip" section of the BMW grip. This makes for a neat installation if you don't cut the Renthal guards off, but that means there's a longer reach to the switches that wasn't comfortable for me. I later cut the guards off, and found that the straight part of the Renthal grip really does cover just about the whole BMW grip. This is much better in terms of looks and more importantly, the reach to the switches.

The extra rubber cuts down the heat from the grip heaters quite a bit. I happened to do back-to-back rides over the same mountain road at the same temperatures before and after mounting the Renthals. I was wearing the same gloves, and running the heaters at their low setting, and the difference was quite noticeable. This might be OK, but in the winter I'd probably be running them on HI more than I did last season.

For those of you that wondered; Renthal color codes their grips, so if you want the softest grip (and you do, for this), it will be light gray. Could be worse, especially if you have the gray bike.

I think this idea will work fine for some people Probably it'll be best for someone with narrow hands and long fingers, or maybe for riders who are used to fat grips. It's certainly worth a try.

A week later, I've still got them on . . . getting used to the feel . . . need to do a really long ride & see what it does for hand fatigue.
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also intalled the G2 throttle tamer the other day and second that if falls into the must have category if you ride any slow 1st gear rocky terrain. 1 size only, as it comes with the 400 wheel, which allows 20% more throttle movement to achieve the same engine response. This is just in the first 50% of rotation. Total throttle movement is same as stock.
    I was also able to save my heated grips though as explained you will have to reroute the wires.
  20. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    After a particularly rocky ride, I called at Sam at G2 Ergonomics to see when he'd officially have the G2 Tamer Tube for the F800GS. Turns out, Sam had just ordered the first batch and he agreed to send me the first one!! :clap He now has them in stock although they're still not on the website. HERE

Of course then I rode every weekend and then got sick so it wasn't until today that I was able to install it. So here's how it goes.

This is what you get:

[​IMG]

The tube and a G2 sticker are inside.

You need to buy replacement grips. If you don't get BMW grips like people above have suggested, you need to buy two sets of grips since the left grip has a throttle sized tube. I chose the ProGrip Rally grips since that what I've had on all my dirt bikes. They're a little thicker and a little bit cushier than the stock grips. Me like. Because they're thicker, not as much heat transfers but I still like them.

First you need to take off your hand guards if you have any. Then you unscrew this 25mm Torx screw to remove the cover on the throttle cam.

[​IMG]

I then unhooked the throttle cable from the tube and unscrewed the guide from the bottom of the housing. Then I unscrewed this Torx 10 screw to remove the switch housing cover.

[​IMG]

The little connection with the brown and black/white wires going into is the connector for the heated grips. It just pops loose from the housing and then you unclip the little lip and you can disconnect the grips.

[​IMG]

I hadn't unhooked the connector yet but you need to unscrew these two little 10 Torx screws to remove the rest of the housing so you can remove the tube. You also remove the Torx 25 screw as indicated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then you loosen this bit and slide the throttle housing off the bars.

[​IMG]

At this point you should have the throttle tube with the wires sticking out of it in your hand. Now it's time for the "be careful" bit, removing the grips. I started at the outside end and cut through just the tip. Then I made a slit the length of the grip but NOT all the way through. If you cut all the way through you'll ruin the heating elements. Then you just tear the grip off the tube, working towards the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what you end up with:

[​IMG]

Take note of where the heating element wires leave the tube in relation to where the throttle cable hooks onto the tube. You want to make sure when you put it on the G2 that the wires are in pretty much the same location.

To remove the heating element from the tube, you cut off the little tabs you can see along the middle of the tube. I used a brand new razor and worked very carefully to trim them down, always slicing away from the wires in the element. Then the heating element can be peeled off the stock tube.

Here's a comparison of the two tubes:

[​IMG]

I didn't take a picture of the next step, but essentially you just wrap the heating element around the G2 tube. Mine had enough "stick" that I didn't need to glue the element on the G2, it just stuck in place.

You then need to slightly notch the housing cover to let the wires pass through. I put a small piece of electrical tape over the notch so there wouldn't be a sharp edge.

[​IMG]

Then you have to reconnect the connector and move the little tab that used to go inside the throttle tube and route the wires out the bottom corner like so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can then button eveything up and put your new grips on. I use a ton of hairspray which is wet but then dries tacky. You can use whatever you've always used, hairspray works for me. If I have any issues later, I'll safety wire the grips on.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how the wires route out of the switch housing and onto the tube. Give the throttle a few twists to make sure you have enough slack and adjust as needed before finally buttoning everything up. I used a small wrap of electrical tape to make everything look better. I would have preferred to use shrink wrap but the little chinga on the wires wouldn't let me slide the right size shrink wrap over it.

[​IMG]

Then I did the left hand side. I just removed the handguard, then slit the grip like I did on the throttle side. I was very careful not to slit all the way through the grip so I wouldn't cut the heating element. This is what it looks like with the grip removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just used hairspray to slide the new grip on, reattached the handguard and everything was good to go.

I took the bike for a test spin and I could notice the difference. It was not such a huge difference that it was disconcerting, but it was noticeable. I really can't wait to get it in the rocks to see how it works. I'll report back when I do.

If anyone has any questions about the install please feel free to PM me or just ask here.
    HiHOSilverGS likes this.