User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2015, 06:56 AM   #8641
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Race Fasteners?

Has anyone installed 1/4 turn race fasteners on the body panels? I'm so sick of loosing 20+ Torx screws to get access to ... well, anything!

giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #8642
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
Have not used the race fasteners but have made captive screw arrangements for my Dakar screen and also replaced the rear body panel mounts with captive screw arrangements and that is where you will run into difficulty as the rear mounts are dual mounting for airbox and body panels

Re that battery monitor, they are not the best devices to rely on, some of the circuitry used in them is pretty poor as they dont have a reference voltage
Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #8643
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Hey Wayne -- excuse my ignorance, but why would a voltage monitor need a reference voltage? It just measures the voltage between ground, that's all.
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #8644
Smallwires
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Has anyone installed 1/4 turn race fasteners
Absolutely thought about it Dzus fasteners everytime I have to do anything on the bike and many times in between. I think I keep talking myself out of it because it would really only take care of 10 or so of the 16 torx screws (I'd leave the ones that didn't screw into clips). You need to be specific with the length or they're not secure (the Dzus fasteners are really meant for securing aluminum or fiberglass which doesn't wear/ isn't compressible like plastic). Lastly, after all the initial tinkering was done I'm not really taking the panels off all that much. Bike runs great and panels only need to come off at regular service intervals, which are blissfully long and the few times I've parked it for a while and d/c'd the battery.

-Ride on
Smallwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #8645
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Hey Wayne -- excuse my ignorance, but why would a voltage monitor need a reference voltage? It just measures the voltage between ground, that's all.

Normally you need a voltage reference to compare the measured voltage to get some level of accuracy. You use a zener diode with a breakdown voltage near what you are measuring, say 12.0 volts. Now days there are more accurate reference chips available.

What is probably more useful would be a charge meter. You place a small resistance in series with the battery and measure the voltage across it. Wired properly, a positive voltage indicates current flowing into the battery (charging) and a negative voltage indicates current leaving the battery (discharging). Use an op-amp to multiply the voltage and drive a bipolar LED: red means discharging, green means charging. I should see what it would take to whip that circuit up, not much I expect.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote