happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,467
Bazinga!
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I have the 32mm VM kit from RPC. After reading the manual online, I guess I shouldn't call it a choke even thought the word "choke" is stamped on the lever. They call it a starting system. Very fancy!
mrbindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,931
If the starting system restricts the flow of air to make the fuel mix richer then it is a choke.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbindc View Post
I have the 32mm VM kit from RPC. After reading the manual online, I guess I shouldn't call it a choke even thought the word "choke" is stamped on the lever. They call it a starting system. Very fancy!
I throttle myself everytime I read "choke" on the lever.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

"I throttle myself everytime I read "choke" on the lever."

oh brother...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
I throttle myself everytime I read "choke" on the lever.
An enriching insight!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
An enriching insight!
GAS(p)!
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
GAS(p)!
OK knock it off, there is no reason to fuel this silliness!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,777
You've got to be choking, why stop now? This has truly been a gas.......
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

if y'all keep needle'n, I'm gonna jet.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

I've been messing around with the carbs this week. They really are easy to tune and I'm just learning a lot in general about these carbs. I mentioned in an earlier post that even though the word "Choke" is stamped on the lever for the choke the manual calls it a starter system. When you push down on the lever you actually open up an airway for a independent starter jet which uses the negative pressure of the inlet to feed the fuel/air mixture. The slide and main jet aren't restricted in any way. Because of this, they recommend keeping the throttle closed during the cold start.

It was in the mid-40s yesterday and I tried a cold start without any throttle, starter system engaged, and it really does work. I was slightly amazed since I always HAD to use a lot of throttle to get the bike started with the choke on the Bings.

From the Mikuni VM Carburetor Super Tuning Manual

"Starting Device (starter system)
In place of the choke, the starter system is employed for Mikuni carburetors. In the starter type, fuel and air for starting the engine are metered with entirely independent jets. The fuel metered in the starter jet is mixed with air and is broken into tiny particles in the emulsion tube. The mixture then flows into the plunger area, mixes again with air coming from the air intake port for starting and is delivered to the engine in the optimum air-fuel ratio through the fuel discharge nozzle. The starter is opened and closed by means of the starter plunger. Since the starter type is constructer so as to utilize the negative pressure of the inlet pip, it is important that the throttle valve is closed when starting the engine. At high temperatures (approx. above 68F), the engine can be started without using the starter."

You can see the starter system routing and the starter jet in this diagram.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #27
mrbindc OP
Adventurer

Here is the link to the Super Tuning Manual. Awesome name btw.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf
Old 12-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #28
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbindc View Post
I've been messing around with the carbs this week. They really are easy to tune and I'm just learning a lot in general about these carbs. I mentioned in an earlier post that even though the word "Choke" is stamped on the lever for the choke the manual calls it a starter system. When you push down on the lever you actually open up an airway for a independent starter jet which uses the negative pressure of the inlet to feed the fuel/air mixture. The slide and main jet aren't restricted in any way. Because of this, they recommend keeping the throttle closed during the cold start.

It was in the mid-40s yesterday and I tried a cold start without any throttle, starter system engaged, and it really does work. I was slightly amazed since I always HAD to use a lot of throttle to get the bike started with the choke on the Bings.

From the Mikuni VM Carburetor Super Tuning Manual

"Starting Device (starter system)
In place of the choke, the starter system is employed for Mikuni carburetors. In the starter type, fuel and air for starting the engine are metered with entirely independent jets. The fuel metered in the starter jet is mixed with air and is broken into tiny particles in the emulsion tube. The mixture then flows into the plunger area, mixes again with air coming from the air intake port for starting and is delivered to the engine in the optimum air-fuel ratio through the fuel discharge nozzle. The starter is opened and closed by means of the starter plunger. Since the starter type is constructer so as to utilize the negative pressure of the inlet pip, it is important that the throttle valve is closed when starting the engine. At high temperatures (approx. above 68F), the engine can be started without using the starter."

You can see the starter system routing and the starter jet in this diagram.

Bings are the same, they also have aux starting circuit and with bing you also need to have the throttle closed when you
Press the starter button!
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote