2014 AMA Supercross Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ADK, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    Dean Wilson. Is pro circuit still running a carbed version on the Kxf 250 or are they running the fuel injection? What a random bog. Gotta love the announcers take, a clog of dirt must of gotten into the brake caliper...

Poto. Ran untouched. Even jumping the quad, Stewart couldn't make up the time.

Stewart. Talk about cutting through the pack. If he had a good hole shot, it might of been a different podium.

Reed. Back to back strong races. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep the momentum.

Dungey. He's showing he's got fight. Way to hold off a surging Brayton.

Roczen. Rode strong but didn't have it to make the podium. He returns the red plate to Poto. Now that the 450 vets are settling into a rhythm can he hang at the front.

Brayton. He was hunting down Dungey and showing him a wheel here and there.

Barcia. Started to see old bam bam return with him taking Hahn high, but then a big mistake in the rhythm section set him back.

How about that quad jump, just nasty....

Scott
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    :lol3

that was my first thought. these guys who ride nothing but WFO always shut down for safety at the first hint of a chassis issue when leading on the last lap.
  3. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    I think all the 250s are carbed. FI is not allowed in that class.
  4. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I think you're wrong.
  5. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Flugs right....
    All of the 250's are fuel injected, Yamaha was the last to change but the 14's are now.
  6. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    I also believe you are mistaken.

When the kxf 250s first became fi (maybe it was the first year) Mitch Payton ran carbed versions as he didnt think the fi performed as strong as the carb.

QUOTE=bigborefan;23316302]I think all the 250s are carbed. FI is not allowed in that class.[/QUOTE]
  7. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I can get a lot of mileage out of this quote...:lol3

How about Malcom Stewart giving the Cooper Webb a nice shove for taking him out, can't say I blame him he deserved it.

I stopped by Barnes & Noble today to grab a Racer X mag. I saw a copy of Cycle World, it has shrunk to the size of a comic book. Smaller and very thin. Wow.

A nice info pic on the Red Bull Straight Rhythm event.

It was held on McGraths ranch near San Diego.

2600 feet long.

100 obstacles on the track.

25 feet wide.

45 seconds for those who rode it to get from one end to the other.

1000 truckloads of dirt.

3 weeks 2000 man hours to build.

1 week to tear it down.

Also noted in the new MXA mag that Mexico gets a round of the World Championship series.
  8. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    Flug,

Isn't the Mexico race the same one that riders were semi boycotting last year due to safety concerns? I think it was Jody who laid out a pretty honest piece in mxa .

Scott

9. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    :nod
  10. PTRadam

PTRadam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sebastion Torteli spearheads it. I'm pretty sure he has some pull in the World Championship scene.
  11. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
  12. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Cooper Webb rode really well to a third last night. He had a HUGE off in first timed practice. He jumped the second triple (just after the whoops). After the triple there were 5 small bumps or whoops into the left hand 45 degree turn. Most guys went triple double in practice but it looked like Cooper tried to jump the entire section. He got bucked up onto the bars and rode a nose wheelie into/over the berm without ever touching the brakes. When the bike threw him off the front at the top of the berm he flew about 40' and hit thee ground just as he hit the concrete wall that was the edge of the seating area. I thought he as destroyed. No way he could ride the event. Maybe the season. Then, three or four minutes later he gets up and walks back to the pits. Insane.

Was it obvious on camera that everyone else was much faster than Dungey in the whoops? Guys like Brayton were making up huge ground every lap. I put it down to the KTM steel frame but in the Lites class Anderson as one of the fastest guys in the whoops. Same basic frame/suspension construction design between those bikes isn't it?

I never saw RV do the quad jump. Just JS7. Dungey was behind him and saw it and the next lap he did it as well. Then when JS7 went by CR22 Chad saw James do the jump and then he did it the next lap as well. It looked good for almost a half second every lap. Big Jump!
  13. zenjen

zenjen Go Outside

Oddometer:
    Villopoto was fast enough on the rest of the track that he had no need to go for the quad.
  14. p3ga

p3ga Rounding Error

Oddometer:
    Flug you wouldn't believe how over the top it is....and it starts at the 50 level, if the kid's brain isn't fried by the time he ages out of the 65 class it's a minor miracle.

Too many talented riders (and to skwidd's point - marriages) have been ruined by overzealous moto-parents, rarely do they ever return to the sport.
  15. brents347

Oddometer:
    No doubt RV was fast enough every where else, but JS7 reeled him in a lot in the last 8 laps or so.

Did RV know everyone chasing him had started doing the quad? I don't think a mechanic could convey that on a pit board. Was RV able to see it? The straight after the quad was a pretty busy rhythm section, but maybe he was able to look over while in the air?
  16. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    If Brayton was "much faster" in the whoops there were laps where he was close enough where that means he would have passed him in the whoops. didn't happen.
  17. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhat agree, but Dungey was in cruise mode until Brayton caught him then he turned it up and walked away from Brayton.

Dungey is my guy but he seemed to be willing to just settle into a position near the front and cruise. I'm wondering if he is getting tired of Roger chewing on him all the time. If you're ever at a race look for those two, sometimes it isn't pretty.

18. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Dungey will be on a different team next year.
  19. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    What makes you say Dungey will be on a different team next year? And more importantly where would he go and which team can afford him?

Kawi is the Poto show.
    Back to Suzuki? What about JS7? If he keeps it together he'll be near the front in the next race(s)
    To JGR Yamaha? Brayton is looking to be the top dog if he keeps the momentum.
    MM Honda? Maybe there will be a spot open if Barcia doesn't step up the consistency. Would he do well on that bike? Could anyone?

After Oakland, Poto is opening up the gap to 2nd, 7 points separate he and Reed. 2nd through 5th is tightly clustered with a six point spread, it's really up for grabs. Rockzen, Reed, Dungey, Brayton are all running at the front of the pack and have shown us are capable of podiums.

Dungey does suffer from riding complacently, but he clearly has the skills and fitness to run. Don't forget, he was running away with it last week at A2 before wadding it the corner. Perhaps the more technical/difficult courses favor him and his style (dry soil, weird rhythm sections) and in the higher speed courses are where the gap starts to show. So how technical vs. wide open are the remaining rounds?

Reed surging over the last two races has really caught me by surprise. That a private team is capable of giving the factory teams a run for the money is excellent in itself, but Reed's honesty is also refreshing. If he and Stewart can stay healthy, they'll be fighting for 2nd. I hope that someone can close the gap to Poto.

Does anyone know the details of Reeds move to Kawi and what he's receiving from them? Bikes and unobtainium only? No cash right?
  20. brents347

Oddometer:
    I was there Flug, it happened. And not just Brayton. It happened a couple of times where the other rider got a huge run at him in the whoops and made the inside pass in the turn after the whoops. Dungey however would know it as happening and would square the turn and dive back under the other rider to re-pass. He was then able to stretch a little gap over the course of a lap, until they got back to the whoops.