The KDX thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gplassm, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm tentatively buying a KDX off an inmate (still working out details on pickup), but I'm pretty excited. Glad to see that this thread is alive. I will be checking out the http://www.kdxrider.net/ forum as several mentioned. Thanks for answering all the stupid questions I'll have in advance! :freaky
  2. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should be picking up my brother's 220 today and racing it next sunday at the Hangover Hare Scramble at Wicomico Motorsports Park. My '00 KX250 is in pieces/being rebuilt. He's got a bunch of parts he's never put on (gnarly pipe, various guards, etc) that I'll try to set up this week.
  3. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andy where was that picture taken? Looks great!
  4. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Out in the Ghost/Waiparous area. Was back there today for a great ride. You need to get that KDX of yours studded up someday... a ton of fun riding in winter.
  5. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Dean - this was yesterday on Meadow Creek in the Ghost area... perfect day to be out on the KDX :)
    [​IMG]
  6. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had mine for about a year,but have not ridden it much. I had originaly bought for my son to ride he finally grew enough to ride a full size bike(now he's taller than me),but it looks like I will be taking it over somewhat next year. I got the paperwork finished and inspection done and got a street legal title so it will get plated this spring. Also bought a trailtech vapor and a taillight brake light combo since the original rear fender had been switched to the KX style.

Bike has some extras on it already FMF pipe/silencer combo but I am pulling off the silencer it's too loud I like the sound of the stock unit. PO did the kickstart mod using the KX 125 kicker,full skid plate it has a pipe guard but needs bead blasted to get old paint off, and it has a couple Fredette parts on it. Only other thing I want to find is an aftermarket kick stand I hate the way the factory stand is bolted to te swingarm:eek1

I should have a set of springs coming from an inmate on here to stiffen up the front end and hopefully balance it out better. If that doesnt work well enough I will do a fork swap.
  7. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
  8. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andy,

Love your pictures! I would love to get out to ride in the winter, but the hockey season is my busiest time of year; pretty much impossible for me to get away! But I will continue to live vicariously through your photos - at least until the season is over!

Happy New Year!

Dean
  9. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick help needed.
    I have a stock 2002 220 and am sure the fork oil has not been changed prior to my last three years of ownership nor while I have had it.
    Being a moderately aggressive 175 lb rider what oil should I use to better tune the bike for woods
    and an occasional harescramble.
    I have no real complaints but with my first harescramble this weekend and moderate mx experience in c class on a yzf250 I am cautiously nervous with the plush suspension.
    No intentions of doubling or blasting the whoops but can the proper oil wt help round out this beloved machine?
    disconnected likes this.
  10. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which harescramble, seasider?
  11. kbob999

kbob999 Living the dream

Oddometer:
  12. seasider

Oddometer:
    I am considering the hangover harescramble this weekend put on by the Maryland Dirt Riders
  13. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you see a mostly stock kdx220 in seniors class it might just be me. I will be there and will probably be the only kdx in seniors class unless you're in the same class. Weather is looking good, which may actually be disappointing to me. ;)
  14. seasider

Oddometer:
    90 percent sure I will be there om a stock 220 as well. Not sure what class I will ride. 40 plus or c ? At 48 with no desire to do anything more than finish in one happy piece I will see how the crowd looks and divides????
  15. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Good luck to those racing this weekend. I'm heading up to Ohio tonight to get my "new to me" 98 KDX first thing Saturday morning. I got the Harbor Freight trailer assembled last night and am putting the hitch on the car as soon as I get home! Pics soon! :D
  16. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a similar goal so that's why I'm doing 40+/senior class. Sounds like C will be very crowded. I figure I'll see enough of the C class anyway as they should be starting earlier so I'll be passing some of them and maybe getting passed by some later in the day. I had carpal tunnel surgery in October so I will be loading up on ibuprofen before the start and then just riding rather than racing ("please, after you, sir"). We'll see if the race environment changes my approach or not. ;) I haven't raced much and my last one was over 10 years ago so...
  17. dirtysouthjacket

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 98 KDX 200 yesterday in snowy Ohio. Didn't even get a chance to test ride it! :)

But it fired up just fine and the PO (an inmate) looks like he went over it with a fine tooth comb. I'm super excited to get on it sometime this week and start learning about the bike and getting on some trails. So excited I can barely stand it.

[​IMG]
  18. KneeKicker

KneeKicker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my KX conversion started today.

Out with the old

[​IMG]

In with the new

[​IMG]
  19. Poacher Bob

Poacher Bob Persona non grata

Oddometer: