Speedometer not working!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by KTMarty, Nov 23, 2008.

1. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other day I took off my multi function speedometer on my 06 950 to route some wires and now the speedometer and mileage does not work but everything else works. Went over to my buddies and we connect my unit to his bike (05 950) and it works fine. So I know it must be the line to the unit or the speed sensor went bad.

I checked the plug with all the wires and nothing seems to be pulled out or broken ect.

Is there a way to check the speed sensor by using a multimeter? I tried but could not get a reading when connection to lines 15 or 14 while turning the wheel on either bikes.

Sure wish I could check continuity from the speed sensor to the plug that goes into the multifunction speedo.

I checked the fuse and it good also.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Here is a wire spec diagram

[​IMG]

Thx
  2. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does everything or anything else work?
    If not...is there a fuse for the dash display?

edit: oops..yes I see that fuse. Is it ok?
  3. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes everything else does work (high beam light, neutral light, directional light, engine heat, clock, and mileage is displayed but does not increment)

When turning the key on the unit shows 21 (wheel size) then back to 0.

Yes the fuse is OK.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  4. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check that the wires are in the plug properly. Gently pull the wires one at a time while holding the plug.
    Look down into the plugs to see if there is something wrong with the contact tabs.
  5. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    Check the speedo cable at two places.

First, where the factory ziptied to the brake cable. Jiggle it around while riding to see if it changes. If this is the problem, you have 2 options. Replace the cable ($80) or cut the housing and solder the 3 wires where it broke.

Second, check the speedo cable down by the fender. It's known to rub on the fender and break.

You can do a search as these are 2 very common problems.
  6. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    I can't say I tried on the 950/990 but other KTM's the speedo pickup is a simple magnetic switch, so the easy way to test with a multimeter is to use continuity or diode test. What did you have the multimeter set too?
  7. alphajory

alphajory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem earlier this year. Took the cluster off to reroute some wires and the speedo didn't work once i put all back. If the odometer is working the cable up to the speedo is fine. I found that there are two connectors for the speedo, the one the plugs into the instrument housing and another connection further down closer to the fork tubes, where only a couple of wires are connected, this was the one that was loose. I must have pulled the plug out just enough to break the connection when removing the front plastics.
  8. Dirt Vader

Dirt Vader 44444444444444444

Oddometer:
    you can apply for some electrical problem bailout money from dem'crats. sorry reflex action.

sounds like it is your sending unit, check its position (gap). and its resistance, should not be open circuit. thats my $.02, where my change mr obama.
  9. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the tips.

Tried wiggling the wires as I rode home from work - Still no odo

Pulled things apart again and found the three wire plug behind the headlight that connect from the speed sensor to to multi function speedo unit. I Did continuity check on the three wires to the plug that goes into the multi function speedo unit (Blue/orange, black/orange & black/brown) and no broken circuits.

How do you check continuity check from the speed sensor to this three wire plug?
  10. Sheep Shagger

Oddometer:
    From the diagram posted, it should only be the 2 wires that go to the multi function unit you need to test (black/yellow & dark blue&yellow <hard to="" see="" the="" colors="">). Run the meter across those, spin the wheel slowly and you should get pulses of continuity and/or change in resistance. (This is from my experience with older KTM pickups). But the ones I have used before, only had 2 wires, I'm not sure why a third wire goes to the tach.
    </hard>
  11. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gave it a try and no resistance or continuity. Looks like the speed sensor went bad.
  12. Sheep Shagger

Oddometer:
    Try moving the pickup closer to the wheel and give it another shot, or maybe even run a magnet over it. It picks up the disk bolts somehow.
    Before ordering that $$$ item, I'd test the same method on your friends Adventure that you know works.
  13. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking also. I'm planning on going over to his house tomorrow after work. Going to owe him a few beers:freaky after this but well be worth it.

Will post later what I find out.
  15. Pax

Pax shazam.

Oddometer:
    Did you take your front wheel off or make changes to your front wheel or tire?

Last summer I had a similar issue and eventually determined the guy who had mounted my front tire had turned the wheel around. Argh...so simple. Anyhow, wheel turned around correctly and it worked.

-Pax
  16. JohnEric

JohnEric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I accidentally wacked the sensor when putting my front wheel back on but I saw no flaws on the sensor. No speedometer. Put a new cable on and it works fine. Its rediculously expensive by the way. Eric
  17. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I did not take off the wheel. Just unconnected the plug.

Have not yet gone over to my buddies house and check continuity on his bike plan on doing it this weekend some time. Will keep everyone updated on what I find out. Stay tuned.

Happy T- DAy
  18. KTMarty

KTMarty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted everyone to know that I finally the installed a new sensor and everything is working perfect.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  19. utahrpm

utahrpm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You installed a new sensor, as in new speedo cable complete? Or can you just replace the sensor? On my 640 Adventure, the wires were broken inside the cable where the sensor wires attach to the wires up to the display.
  20. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    I have just gone through a similar drama with my 08 990 adv. after 4 days of pulling their hair out my local dealer got word from Austria that it would be the actual ABS switch on the dash. This is after replacing the speedo, ABS sensors and doing all the diagnostics.
    Still considering how technical these bikers are today it's not suprising for these sorts of problems to occur.
    Least mine is still under warranty :thumb