A few days in Russia

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by DirtyADV, Jun 25, 2013.

1. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

Sound like we will pass a place that should be able to exchange on the way there so we will see if its possible to have a smaller amount in cash and use an ATM when/if needed.

Will only be a few days in Russia and the hotels have already been paid for so should not be that much expenses.

Have another question also, hope there is no need for any info about emergency numbers but better safe then sorry.

Do russia have any emergency help? Like 112 in europe and 911 in the US?

What is it? And is there any chance they speak any english if calling?

Will also try to look up this info online and update here what I find but if anyone sees it and know please fill in.

Cheers!

EDIT: Seems like they introduced a 112 number in 2011 but if there is any chance of getting anywhere in english I can not find any information about =/

/Johan
  2. WimDH

WimDH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard that shouldn't be a problem. But AFAIK, you'll need to get some rubles at the border.

Don't put the money in your wallet, in case you need to bribe the police (don't know if that's still the case these days) they can't see the large amounts of cash, and make their eyes twinkle :evil

I'm planning a trip from Belgium to Norway, then via Murmansk to Saint-Petersburg back to Belgium. It should happen in 2015...
  3. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan is to stop by a Forex place on the way to have some cash with us.

Not sure how the others feel but I would go with not paying any bribes even if it would take longer to cross the border.

Even if it takes a few hours there should not be any problems to manage getting to the hotel in time.

But might be good to prepare for that option if we go with it to speed things up.

That is what alot of people do skip Sweden ...cant blame them Norway is gorgeous, expensive tho!

Thanks

/Johan
  4. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    you've got the totally wrong impression, there won't be any bribing going on at the border; I have crossed several times in the last five years at a variety of crossing points and the border folks are all very professional.

just have your documents in order and be prepared for a bit of bureaucracy/waiting around. just forget most of what you've heard about bribery on the roads in russia, most of it is bullshit or outdated stories from the nineties.
  5. WimDH

WimDH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. I heard from a russian co-worker that the traffic police :devildog is quite corrupt. Indeed, at the border, there shouldn't be a problem, but it you are caught speeding, you might... This is what I heard at work :ear, I'm aware that's not necessarily true...
  6. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are in Russia by now, leaving Kandalaksha today heading for Murmansk.

Border went OK, took closer to 2 hours getting through tho, plenty of papers and stamps!

Getting hold of a postcard was hard will try again in Murmansk.

/Johan
  7. WimDH

WimDH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Johan,

Glad all is OK there..

How was you hotel? Can you share the name of the hotel and the quality?
    I'm also planning a stop in Kandalaksha..

Drive safe.
  8. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well if you're caught speeding you are generally welcome to pay the official fine, but often the police will allow you to settle matters on the spot. I'd actually call it more of a convenience than a problem, but the best solution is not to speed. Most important DO NOT pass where there is solid line, they love nailing drivers for that...
  9. WimDH

WimDH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allright :D

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep it in mind when I'm riding over there...
  10. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not entirely sure about the name, but its a few kms outside of Kandalaksha on the road towards Umba, you go up a hill and a little more then halfway up the hill there is an exit to the right.

Not alot of people since its more of a ski place with a slope and a lift so low season for them when its motorcycle season:

[​IMG]

A quite big log building.

Yes they are very anal about the solid lines even if there is a military convoy moving at walking pace russian drivers will wait until the solid line ends before passing ....we didnt wait, well some passed on the wrong side when there was a great gravel area big enough but more on that later.

No problems at any time with any police for us at least.

Back home by now and have written some on the blog.

More once I have worked through the 500GB of videos.

/Johan