Kawasaki Versys 300

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tonymorr, Jul 24, 2013.

1. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Project 300 Versys is underway

One Fleabay Ninja 300 motor with all the fixings is on the way...

[​IMG]

Now what chassis should I use? KLX400(DRZ400)? There's tons of stuff available. Big comfy seats, big gas tanks, luggage, rally firings, Kawi green plastics, etc

Has anyone seen my mig welder? :wink:
    Sakel likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an interesting thread. Just curious though... Is there something to be gained from going this route over using a more conventional "big single" as a starting point? Or is it just a "built it 'cause I can" thing?
  3. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! This is an engine that I think would make a great super light Adventure Bike!!

Are you thinking more dual sport, with 18 rear and 21 front?

Or are you thinking something more like 17 rear and 19 front?

:lurk
  4. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    A good twin (like this one) is very smooth, much easier to ride long distances than a big single (or small single for that matter...)

This is a unique build because it's a small twin, we haven't had any good smaller twins lately.. Think of a modern Honda SL350 or CL350 :clap

I'm excited to see what you come up with! Does the tranny have a pretty wide ratio set of gears??
  5. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    EFI, smoothness, hoping it will be at least 50 lbs lighter than the "big single" choices out there.

Yes, well........ I'm not sure I can yet. But thanks for the vote of confidence :D

I have thought about it and I don't really know. One of the decisions I will have to make.
  6. bigflax925

bigflax925 The Biggest

Oddometer:
    subscribed! Can't wait to see this.
  7. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! The DRZ brings many options but that same old school ergos, though it can be improved on for sure. Darn, I just threw away a KTM 250 frame from the early 2000 era, PDS, I think I tossed an old swingarm and shock away too. The older stuff is doorstop material, nobody wants it. I would have given it to you.

You might try that route? ktmtalk has a magnitude of cheap parts in the classifieds for the older bikes. Modular too, so lots of options on fuel tanks and such.

This engine will be a gem in a proper Adv bike. Have you been riding one? The response and smoothness are great, and the trans ratios are wide too.
  8. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not a KTM chassis.
    They are better than a DRZ/KLX

.....Looks like Navin be me to it, so I will say +1
  9. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    awesome:D
  10. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    My first thought was 640 Adventure but there's the right hand drive to deal with. I'm still open to options. Any options. I am getting part of the Ninja frame with the engine. I'm thinking that may help with the shoehorning. The goal is a light adventure bike that will accommodate a comfy seat, big tank, and hard luggage. I'm not sure any of those KTM frames you mentioned will fit that bill. Will they?

I'm not trying to make a dirt bike. I have a great one already in my Husaberg. Also, my WR is a pretty good adventure bike. If I fail at this I'm still pretty well set up. I guess this exercise is more for fun.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much trouble will it be to get a street reg. on a frame VIN from an off-road model, in your state?
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a good seat and some fabrication luggage won't be a problem. Tanks up to 6.6g bolt on. You'll probably need an external fuel pump with whatever you get.

It doesn't look any bigger than a single in the pic.
  13. doogiepooch

doogiepooch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah jesus, is there a block content button? That's all I need is to start thinking about ripping apart my brand new bike. 5 minutes after reading this and I've already been scowering craigslist for used KLX's with some engine issues. And totaled up how much I think I could get for all the Ninja parts on Ebay. :rofl

I have to admit, I'm excited to see this. For me, this engine in the right light weight adv/tour platform would be my perfect bike. I'd like to see it stay Kawi but I realize that limits you. I think this engine in a KLX would be perfection, large tank, some luggage as you guys mentioned and some type of screen and then go RTW.
  14. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Cool! Depending on how offroad capable you want to be, but I'd look at a newer KTM chassis
  15. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    I was looking at my buddies '09 KTM 530 with 3.5 gallon tank tonight. There's not a very wide space between the "ears" of the tank and they hang down very low. I'm going to investigate further after I get some measurements of the Ninja motor. He lives just down the road so I'll be able to size things up. He thinks it's a pretty ridiculous idea. He's got so much KTM Koolaide in him that he pee's orange. Fortunately most evenings he's got so much gin in him that he'll let me do whatever I want to his bike :-)
  16. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    A heat gun can gain you a little, there are some RFS tanks that sit mostly on top of the frame. That is supposed to be a really sweet little engine, curious what it weighs. It doesn't seem likely to weigh less than a big single but they are smooth. I have a poked & stroked KTM450XC that is 600cc's & the Ninja Mutant. Very simular HP, delivered totally different. The twin is so sweet, quiet, relaxed & you don't feel like your beating it to death. The KTM has been balanced & it is smooth for a thumper but like all RFS motors it sounds like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can & you can't help but feel you are wearing it out.
    The KTM wins hands down for fast rough riding, but the twin is so much nicer cruising.
  17. kajj

kajj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a really interesting project.

Will be fun to see how it turns out

:thumb
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:

about time ya got back in the game, it's been about 5 years!
  19. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Hey JD :happay

I would love to hear your ideas :dg
  20. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    4play, I hope you don't mind but I love this quote so much I'm gonna have to add it to my sig line!!! LMAO!

tonymorr, I see you are a Husaberg fan too! In looking at your bike stable, I think you should just give me the 300 motor and I'll build something with it, you have enough bikes already! :evil

Given your stable of bikes, if I were in your shoes, I'd build a super light scrambler, but with racks for adventure riding. Super simple and naked. You could use long legs off of a KTM or such dirt bike, but it doesn't sound like you are after that kind of bike. I'd pick up an old enduro bike or even small street bike so you have a title that can be licensed and just put money into the suspension it has. You can get nice dual shocks these days and add cartridge emulators and proper springs to the forks. You can get great performance on the street and better than most dual sports on the dirt! Plus the bike won't be 12 feet tall....

Just my 2 cents, I'm excited to see what you do. Hopefully I won't be that far behind you in a build of my own with that engine :D

Have fun with whatever you do, otherwise why do it??