Full face helmets and eyeglasses

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Donster, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Donster

Donster No trick too cheap

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations from the current crop of full face helmets? I just got a Bell Vortex. Good price, good quality, good shield release mechanism, and good fit. I set out on a ride this morning, slipped on the Bell, started to put on my glasses and... I think it would take a tire iron to get them on. So I grabbed my trusty RF-1000, which accommodates my glasses with no problem. But I didn't want to pay the big bucks for another one. Plus, I like the removable, washable liner feature of the Bell. Ideas?
  2. Ultravoyageant

Ultravoyageant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The congested burbs 62 furlongs west of Brick City
    I have no problem putting on my glasses in my Scorpion Exo-700 or my Evoline. I don't have a small head, so if I'm alright with these helmets you should be, too.
  3. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    I waer glasses all the time in my Arai helmets....I do have to be careful getting them started between the temple and padding.

4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I not only try the glasses on with a helmet when buying, I make sure my new glasses frames will fit the helmets when I buy new glasses. Only one pair don't fit well and I got those because my wife liked the frames best. I have several pair of glasses and don't wear those when riding. Besides they don't have the lowered cut in the bifocal I had done to suit motorcycling.

The bike glasses all have the line of the bifocal lowered, been doing that now for 10 years. Gives me maximum standard distance vision, while having virtually perfect sight when I glance at the instruments. The optometrist thought it was kind of cool and has suggested it to some other riders wearing bifocals that, like me, are using standard non-blended bifocals.
  5. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have found the flex titanium over the ear section to be my best bet & there is no around the lens frame.
  6. Donster

Oddometer:
    Good idea. If the Bell cheek pads had some kind of groove at the right location, that would help a lot. Maybe I could cut some. I'll have to see if Bell will sell me some replacement cheek pads--not all of my experiments go well the first time. The Vortex looks like a great helmet, (although I haven't performed the airflow in South Texas summer test yet), and I really don't want to sell it.

I can't believe helmet makers haven't thought about this.
  7. fire carl

fire carl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have the same problem and on each new helmet i take the temple area of padding out and remove padding till i get the right fit
  8. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Problem is there is no way to make a helmet suitable for all glasses. I find most glasses fit in the side pad notches, but not the one pair I have. Not all temples are in the same position on all glasses, nor will they fit the same on all heads that might fit a specific helmet. It just isn't a one size fits all kind of thing.
  9. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I saw a posting somewhere where the guy had shortened the temple pieces on his glasses for use under his helmet. They were the straight "bayonet" style, and he cut them off to about 3/4 length and rounded the ends with a file.

I once had a pair of sunglasses get so adhered to the side of my head by my helmet (a modular which I was able to remove from my head with my sunglasses in place) that when I went to peel the sunglasses off, I broke them at the hinge!
  10. 606XXZIP

606XXZIP NAVVET

Oddometer:
    Tinted Shield for day
    Clear for night
  11. Donster

Oddometer:
    Which is what I do. But I still need to wear bifocals.
  12. Donster

Oddometer:
    I thought briefly about cutting off the arms (what are those things called, anyway?) as you describe, but when I get somewhere I like to be able to wear them normally. If the arms are too short they might not stay on.

I was looking at a description of the Shoei RF-1100, and it was described as "eyeglass friendly." The $400 helmet is; $180 helmet is not. Figures.
  13. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was gearing up to learn to ride, I selected a Shoei X-11 based on
    reviews that stated it was well ventilated and had clearance for glasses.
    Quickly found out that the wire frame glasses I was using at the time were not suitable for wear with a helmet, as the temple pieces were to
    flexible and wrapped behind my ears, making it almost impossible to slide
    them into place. Broke them putting them on! Was due for an eye exan
    anyway, and had new glasses made with straight temple pieces and small
    lenses. These slide on easily, and the lenses are less likely to get smudged. I need bifocals to read or work, but can see the instruments
    on the bike fine without them, so these glasses are single vision, and I only wear them when I ride. CR
  14. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Agree with CRP.

I wear glasses with the wrap-around earpieces and largish lenses, so a flip-face helmet is a must for me. However, I am thing about getting a fixed full-face helmet, and have decided that a pair of "bike-and-helmet specific" single-vision glasses would be the best solution. And possibly with the "variable tint" so they could be used day and night.
  15. Superfish

Superfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear ear buds and glasses all the time riding. And, I have a Nolan modular.

I use a Silky Comfort Liner. The helmet just slides right over the glasses and ear buds.

I'm guessing that the liner would help with a full face. This assumes that your helmet is big for everything to fit inside.

Silky: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=121949
  16. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    I use a Nolan N90 with glasses and have no problems.
  17. Donster

Oddometer:
    I bought a new Scorpion EXO-700 Neon recently because the voices in my head told me to, but put it up for sale here because I didn't need it. Nobody has shown interest so far. So I took it out of the box, put it on, grabbed my glasses, and whaddaya know, glasses went right on. The good news is this is half the price of a Shoei RF-1100. Moral of story: Bring the glasses when shopping for helmets. You never know...
  18. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has been an issue for me most of my riding life.

I currently use a Shoei Syncrotec flip up helmet and it works awesome with glasses. I don't remove them, just put the helmet on and lower the chin bar.

I have tried on a few others and plan to replace this with a Scorpion EXO-900 Modular when the time comes as it's the most comfy and easy to put on I've found, plus the features rock.

I use an Arai full face for off-road and it's "ok" as far as being able to put my glasses on after the helmet is on.
  19. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear a buff under the helmet to protect my helmet liner from grunge.The other advantage is I can slide my helmets on over ear buds and glasses without anything catching on liner.

#46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Shoei TZR and it works well with glasses.