R1200GS Tire Changer advice

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by splat matt, Apr 30, 2009.

1. splat matt

splat matt ::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer:
    OK - I'm trying to do this on the cheap because well the economy has me pinching pennies big time.

I saw the cycle hill tire changer and want to know if the the base package comes with everything I need to change the tires adequately on my r1200GS. I already have a wheel balancer and a special attachment for the rear wheel so that is covered.

Basically I want the most affordable option to change my tires without putting to much risk to them (yes I have never changed a motorcyle tire)

I am open to methods and tools besides the "cycle hill" changer.

Thanks in advance for the helpful tips, hints, ideas and tricks!
    :freaky
  2. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Get thee to Harbor Freight.

This: $49.99

[​IMG]

With this attachment: $59.99

[​IMG]

And ping JimVonBaden. A friend of his makes a plastic rim protector for the above attachment. And he prolly has a video on changing tires by this time.

<BR>
  3. Pedal-Boy

Pedal-Boy ride till you puke

Oddometer:
    3 tire irons some lube and a few 2x4 to change my tires on the gs. It really was not that hard.
  4. Sit

Sit Thread Killer

Oddometer:
    I got a used Harbor Freight complete rig off of craigslist forf $50. Made my own nylon rim protectors to go on it. This along with a single mojolever is all I need.
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Don't you also need the remote control? and the chair?

<BR>
  6. impi

impi Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the basic Cyclehill package with the tow hitch mount. I also have Marc's balancer so I didn't need the rest.

Works as advertised.

Had the harborfreight deal, but I'm clumsy and ended up scratching the crap out of the rims on my 05 R12GS. Didn't want to do the same on the Adventure with the black rims so I went for the CycleHill. Didn't need anything else other than what was in the box.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
  8. Grape_Ape

Grape_Ape Shemp!

Oddometer:
    I have a HF unit. Made my own non marring rim clamps that accomodate both my cast and spoke wheels. I also sprung for a No Mar Bar. It was pricey, but it is worth every penny. It makes the job so much easier and eliminates the possibility of you mangling your wheels.

[​IMG]
  9. signit98

signit98 Nutcase... really!

Oddometer:
    Yep... HF Changer, Mojo Blocks and Nomar Bar... works well... matter of fact, I re-shoed my GS today for the upcoming RT to AK...

Easy as pie...plus, I have SmarTire installed and I do not want anyone but me to ruin the sensors...
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Mitch also makes a MojoLever that is as good, and cheaper, than the noMar: http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

Jim :brow
  11. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    depending on the effort involved, the cycle hill is turn key whereas the HF unit needs piecing together.

Having gone the HF route and getting the mojo bar and the blocks, I probably would have gone with the cycle hill. Less hastle and close to the same price.

I am having trouble with the mojo lever, doesn't seem to work as easily as claimed, but that's probably a user error. Thousands of mojo customers can't be wrong...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

PS the hitch mount is brilliant. don't need to bolt it to anything permanent in the house. Just make sure that if your tool slips out of your hand it won't go through the back glass of a wagon or something...they are probably better used on a truck,...
  12. splat matt

splat matt ::.::::..::.:::.::::

Oddometer:
    OK this is what I think I'm gonna do

HF set-up (got a 20% off coupon)

mojolever or no-mar bar not sure yet (both are the same price now)

mojoblocks

anything else?

Should i use c-clamps or the third hand tool from no-mar?
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  14. swanski

swanski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

I use windex for lube and I use small wood blocks between the bead and the rim to keep the bead down while mounting with irons. They also keep me from having to hold one iron in place while working around the other way. It works great and takes minimal effort. I wedge the 2x4 under my truck's back tire and push a small length of 1x1 down on the bead - also works great with very little effort.

The only thing I spent real money on was the Marc Parnes balancer
  15. Tabasco

Tabasco Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Just the thread I was waiting for.

After getting fed up with the HF piece of junk machine destroying my rims, I gave it away. But my stupidity is some lucky person's gain.

I have a brand new No-Mar bar and extra No-Mar Tips. I also have a Marc Parnes balancer with cones for the R1150GS also like brand new. I actually did use the balancer about 5 times until I discovered a shop that does the tires and mounts for internet prices.

Unlike the HF machine, these items are first class top rate kit.

I'll sell the whole works for $125.00 plus actual cost to ship from Colorado. I have a commercial FedEx account so if you can take ground delivery, it won't cost a whole lot to ship.

My neighbor thinks he wants to use them next week so if you want'em, get' em before he borrows and forgets to return them.

I would prefer to just do one shipment so if anyone needs a very nice balancer and No-Mar Bar, to go with your fantastic new HF tire machine, PM me.
  16. obe44

obe44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tire soap is the key. We changed 5 tires at a gas station in 1 1/2 hours on the way to Inuvik last summer. 2 or 3 bars and soap and you can change tires anywhere. My 2 cents.
  17. mtrhd101

mtrhd101 Garage Queen lover

Oddometer:
    No disrespect intended but the simple fact you ask tells me you have very little knowledge of the process.. 2 tire irons, something slick and something to protect the rim (motion pro makes some cheap plastic protectors) .. It's not hard at all but takes a little practice.. You need someone with experience to show you the first time, that would be best otherwise your gonna scratch your wheels and may have other problems..
  18. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to do tire changes with big, flat balde screwdrivers in the 60's. I have a cycle hill changer, some large irons, a few no-mar irons, etc. I fix flats with a good set (three actually) of 8" irons on my dirt bikes on the trail with a shop rag on the ground, no big deal. When I have room, I bring my 14" spoons, even easier. As pointed out many times, technique really makes a difference.

That said, dirt wheels, GS tubeless wheels, HP2 wheels, all go on very easy with a the Cycle Hill changer. The nomar mount/dismount bar works on the tubeless tire pretty well. I have access to a hydraulic changer, but I don't bother. I was going to buy one or a No Mar higher end unit until I tried the Cycle Hill. Between my bikes and my buddies, it has already paid for itself and it is very convenient.

Can you do them on the floor, absolutely. l can sleep on the ground in my Rallye suit too, but not when I have a tent and a sleeping bag. Wish I could find who walked off my metal milk crate though.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. bwallis42

bwallis42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the mojobar

I have a changer similar to the harbour freight one and a mojobar and once the wheel is out of the bike I can swap from road tyre to knobbie in about 5 minutes. I can do a full change front and back, removing and installing the wheels in about an hour including balancing (Marc Parnes balancer).

I have a set of mojo blocks as well but haven't got around to installing them. Before I got them I had modified my changer as shown in the photos below. Basically I bent three large washers, welded them on and then glued some rubber over them. Sort of a cheap mojoblock. I will get the mojoblocks mounted on the changer someday.

I generally don't need to balance the wheels either. I have balanced the rims with out the tyres on and taped over those weights. Most tyres seem to be pretty well balanced and don't require much adjustment once the rim is right. I balance my road tyres and when I take them off I mark where the valve is on the tyre so I can put them back in the same place. I usually don't bother balancing the TKCs.

And for the lubrication, I'm not sure if this is an australian brand name, but I use Lux pure soap flakes mixed with some water. 1/2 cup plus about the same of water makes a very thick paste and I keep that in a container with a lid. Then I just paste it on using an old paint brush. A smaller container with a rag works well on the road.

Attached Files:

20. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to sound dense but I've got a question about the HF unit. Is there a "bead breaker" with the unit? I assume that's what the pipe & lever looking thing near the upright is. Does it work with the motorcycle adapter? Breaking the bead is where I have the most trouble. Thanks!

Murf2