Brake pads won't fit

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DualDude, Aug 11, 2013.

1. DualDude

DualDude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to replace the rear break pads. I pushed back the piston and removed the old pads which are almost gone. When went to install the new pads I discovered the right side pad will not fit. I thought they may be defective so I ordered another brand. They are exactly the same. They wont fit ether. There is a huge space on the left side but not enough space on the right side between rooter and the break assembly. Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do to correct it?
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Google sliding pin calipers. You make room on the right side by pushing the whole caliper from the left side.
  3. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I just changed mine yesterday and I found it tricky to push the caliper over while lining the pin with both pads... so I just spent the extra 30 seconds to remove the rear wheel. Very easy with the wheel off and also easier to get the pin and clip back on. As a bonus I had a chance to check the rear wheel bearing which is a common F800 weak point.
  5. Goldfish_GR

Goldfish_GR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you take the caliper off instead of taking the wheel?
  6. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I was wondering can you take the rear caliper off? There's a weird rubber boot that wraps through the caliper.. figured I should just leave that be. Besides, I had to check that wheel bearing and adjust my chain :lol3
  7. minton82

minton82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my pins and clips when swapping out the pads. The pins were looking pretty corroded up front, and I'd injured one of the springy clips in the rear while re-installing the wheel early on. BMW's little kits aren't cheap, but better to pay up front that have a braking problem. My OEM pads went 35k miles, so won't have to be doing this toooo often.