Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I bought an Android 2.2.2 from a friend. It's about 5 months old. She wanted 80.00 for it with the charger and cradle and I made her take 100.00 ( we're both unemployed). The phone also has a 16 Gb card.
    I set up on Page Plus and everything seems to be working as it should. While not a computer noob, this smart phone deal is new to me so I have questions and would appreciate a little help.
    I'd like to Bluetooth photos from the phone to my iBook with 10.4.11. Is this possible and, if not, could I share with my computer using a hard wire?
    Is there a way to transfer music from iTunes on my computer to the Droid, or do I need to buy MP3's from Amazon to load onto the Droid?
    Is there a better or dedicated thread for this stuff?
  2. crawdad

crawdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't help you with the photos but some 11 year old kid on youtube showed me how to transfer music from itunes to my droidx:rofl . It was easy and I'm about as inept a person as you'll find with this techy stuff.
  3. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
    If you are using a Mac try Doubletwist

If you are trying to transfer DRM protected files you'll need to figure out a different method. If not, Doubletwist is pretty simple.

It's what I use to transfer and sync music and playlists and photos to my phone.
  4. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I just got a new (original first generation) Droid that replaced the one I had that died. Every hour or so, it says, "DROID" which I find obnoxious. My first Droid did this too, but I eventually got it to STFU. Can't remember how though. Any ideas?

edit: The original died after all of the battery fluid leaked out and fried the internals. Left a stain on my counter top too.
  5. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I clicked the link and liked it, even got kind of excited for a minute, and then...

The free doubleTwist desktop app requires MacOS X 10.5

I have 10.4.11 :cry
  6. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
    Bummer.

You can do it the manual way with a USB cable (the phone will determine which cable you need - mini or micro USB)

Plug the phone in. You'll get some version of a prompt to mount the phone as a drive ("enable USB storage" in my case)

Once you have the phone mounted as a drive it'll pop us as drive icon on your desktop. Mine shows up as No Name.

Double click on the drive. You should find a folder named "Music" in there. That's where you are going to drop the music you want on the phone.

Now go to the drive you have your music on - probably "Macintosh HD". If you use iTunes go to (double click on each of these folders in order) itunes -> iTunes Music -> Music and drag any music you want from your computer and drop it in the "Music" folder mentioned above. Drag entire folders (generally named by artist) or drill down to individual tracks and drop them in. You can select multiple folders by holding the "command" key (4 leaf clover looking icon next to the space bar) and then single clicking as many folders as you want so you can drag them all over at once.

You can transfer pics or videos the same way. Videos go in the "video" folder and photos go in "images"

When you are done eject the phone drive on the desktop either with the eject icon to the right of the drive if you have it open in the Finder or by holding the control button and clicking on the drive icon to bring up a dialog box and select "eject".

Unmount the phone - undo what ever you had to select to mount the phone on the phone in the first step.

Launch the music player app and see how you did.

Like I mentioned in the first post, DRM protected songs won't transfer.

Apologies in advance if any of the info was too basic.
  7. MrBob

Oddometer:
    No worries about that.
    I planned to get a mini USB cable tomorrow and I'll try what you outlined. I think the biggest barrier is that my OS is too old and my computer not Intel based.
    Today I was able to Bluetooth and email photos from the phone to my iBook. I was also able to stream music to my phone from Amazon Cloud. The sound through the headphones was quite good.
    When I try to Bluetooth music from my iTunes to the phone it pairs with the computer but won't connect with it.
    My goal to use the phone to play music through the stereo in the Jeep while I"m on the road.
  8. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it isn't notifying you of incoming emails or messages? Check your notifications and see if the sound is set on Droid.

Bluetoothing photos from the Droid to my iBook is actually pretty easy. I haven't tried sending them in the other direction.

The Android phone really burns through the data and I used up my Page Plus allotment in one day and had to buy extra.

The Android is an interesting device and I like it but I'm going to sell it or trade it for an iPhone. I'm not making comparisons, just much more comfortable with the Apple operating system.
  9. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Went in and changed the settings. That default "Droid" announcement is annoying.
  10. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    Something is wrong there. I looked yesterday and in 20 days in my first month, I still have 36mb left. Pleasantly surprised, some days I used it for and hour or so of forum reading, some days not at all.
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
    That is interesting.
  12. Keyser Soze 1

Keyser Soze 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the HTC Thunderbolt...actually went through 6 of them. Awesome phone, just could't hold a data connection out here for shit. They finally sent me the Droid Charge. Not nearly as fast as the Thunderbolt, audio quality is not as good, and it comes with a ton more bloatware Overall I'm not to thrilled with the switch. I wish they could get the the Thunderbolt glitches taken care of. The display is pretty nice though. As far as the LG goes, dunno, never had good luck with those things so I steer clear of them. I
  13. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    i got rid of my 3D and got the Photon, i couldn't be happier. the Photon is just a all around better phone. the stock launcher on the Photon is kinda laggy so i use launcherpro, it screams. it's a lot faster than my 3D was, no bugs and the phon is built very well... oh yeah and i can hear it ring.

my 3D was a cool toy, but my Photon is literally like having a computer on me at all times.
  14. MrBob

Oddometer:
    I've been puzzling over the my high rate of data usage. Being a smart phone noob I figured I was enabling something that caused this. So, I tapped Settings on my Droid, then Wireless and Networks, then Wi-Fi settings, and then turned off Wi-Fi.
    It seems my phone was fetching emails and notifying me when each one came in, which I found annoying.
    If I got this right, I can just turn on Wi-Fi when I want to check emails or browse online.
    If there is a better way to do this, I'm :ear.
  15. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Look at Green Power (my favorite) or Juice Defender. You can set how often to turn on the WiFi and for how long. Mine comes on every 15 minutes and stays on for two minutes.
  16. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    Using wifi is actually saving your data usage. If you connect to a wifi, you are not using the cell tower to get data. When I am home, I turn on wifi and am getting data through my home network.
    Go to Settings, Wireless and network settings, Mobile Networks and uncheck Data Enabled. That will achieve what you are trying to do. Turn it back on when you want to use the internet/check mail, etc.
    Turn off the wifi when away from your wireless signal to save battery, it is constantly looking for a signal otherwise.

So, my driod2 will not work properly when plugged into the charger. Is this a feature with all of them or just mine?
  17. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Wi-Fi off, data conserved. That was easy, thanks.
    That being said, I listed my Android on eBay tonight and in Gear for sale. I guess I'm just an Apple user to the core and not up for spending a lot of time on a new system. I don't mean to imply one system is better than the other, only that I'm satisfied with Mac.
  18. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up an iPhone will do this too....I know how to change the frequency it checks on Android and I'm 99% sure you can in the iOS mail app as well. So if once an hour is fine for you change it to that and it should help. I remember when the iPhone was new a big issue was that it would search for E-mails etc. and rack up huge bills overseas where you are charged roaming by the MB.

Also I have to ask what else you were doing since most plans have multiple GB limits and you would use next to none of that with just the E-mail app even if it searched every few min.
  19. MrBob

Oddometer:

The Page Plus plan I most often use is 1200 call minutes, 1200 texts, and 100mb of data for a flat fee of 29.95 monthly. Being a geezer, I usually end up with 1199 unused texts.
    If you exceed the 100mb it's possible to buy another 100mb using one of their 10.00 calling cards.
    The phone sold on eBay early this morning and it's heading off to Decorah, IA tomorrow. For now, I find that my iPod Touch and POS cell phone seem to be all I need in that department, but, as was mentioned, I'm a geezer.
    When the prices on non-contract iPhones comes down or I find a deal like I did with the Android, then I'd love to try one.
  20. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Non-contract iPhones are likely to stay about the same as Apple tries to be leading everyone with each generation....top of the line prices (which the iPhone is) seem to be pretty stable in the stratosphere. But we are on the 4th generation so you probably could find one used for cheap, the bad news is if it needs a new battery that is a huge expense.