It is official - I am a moron

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by backfill, Apr 3, 2013.

1. backfill

backfill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have taken the rocker covers off of my R100R numerous times. I find putting the fin nuts back on horribly frustrating. My fingers are too big to get them and the washers back in place, especially the bottom front one on the right cylinder. I have spent hours trying to get the damn nut started on the thread.

I had the covers off again yesterday. Previously, I always screw in the centre outside nut to hold the rocker cover in place and then put the other nuts on. It finally occurred to me not to put the centre nut on and just have the bolts sticking out a little bit past the cooling fins so that i could start both nuts before pushing the cover in all of the way. I was able to get my fingers in there and easily start the nuts on the threads.

Wow, why didn't I think of this before? That was far easier and far less frustrating than doing it the other way! I am apparently a little slow; it only took a simple clubbing over the head before I figured out a better way to do this.

I feel a little foolish putting this online, but I thought this little tidbit of information might help someone else.

cheers,
  2. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    I put a little grease on the tip of my finger ... that holds the nut "glued" to the tip of my finger just long enough to get the tread started. However, next time I will try your method ...

Good one!
  3. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Replace your covers with ones with external bolts, or have yours modified. I can 't get a finger in there and turn the nut even with the bolt retracted.
  4. pecos

pecos BAM!!

Oddometer:
    Same problem here with my sausage fingers. I use a pen magnet. Works perfect.

Something like this.... http://www.zorotools.com/g/00015595/k-G3032757?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLHq0dfnrrYCFWGpPAodx3AA8g
  5. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beat me to it. I just did this last night.
  6. garthg

garthg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always used a pencil magnet, but I'll try it your way next time.
  7. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I don't use the washers. I don't think they are needed and so I only have to start the nuts and it's half the work as it used to be.

I do have thinner fingers than most.
  8. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I had one of those covers come off on me once. Fortunately it was trapped by the crash bar and also fortunately I was able to shut the key off quick---the oil pressure dropped FAST. Left boot soaked with oil, Took 45 min to get across 6 lanes of freeway (11:00pm), find a break in the sound wall, find a plastic bag to put over the boot, and find a phone to call for help.

I use the lockwashers now. (and carry 6mm nuts!)
  9. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    To the OP, that's how I do it to, we Maroons think alike! :freaky