ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #5131
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 1,140
And dingos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NewToMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #5132
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnik Nus View Post
Sorting out my new KTM for a big trip at the end of May. The forum has been a huge help in my buying decision and getting all the farkles in place. My question involves skidplates. Installed a Slavens plate that seems well built and sturdy. However, after installing and taking a 200 mile ride today, I almost burned up from heat radiating from the plate. I've put 3K miles on the bike prior to the skidplate and never suffered any heat issues except at stoplights. The heat today was while moving and at any speed. Is there a plate that "breathes" and does not cook you while in the saddle? I'm investigating all of the usual mods to mitigate the heat issue but the skidplate is a great place to start. I LOVE this bike!
I've noticed no such thing with the AltRider skid plate. Here's some info & photos I posted a while back:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=5022
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #5133
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,291
Heat

I had read about the heat issue on these bikes and was a little concerned before buying the bike. I've since learned to ignore it.

I just finished two days of riding in Death Valley, temps at 107* on the bike's readout. The heat coming off the bike was the least of my worries. The desert air that was blasting me felt hotter than what was coming off the pipe and engine.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #5134
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
I had read about the heat issue on these bikes and was a little concerned before buying the bike. I've since learned to ignore it.

I just finished two days of riding in Death Valley, temps at 107* on the bike's readout. The heat coming off the bike was the least of my worries. The desert air that was blasting me felt hotter than what was coming off the pipe and engine.
I know that feeling all too well (same location too). "Oh, I'll just speed up to get a nice breeze going to cool off" ...same way you can cool yourself off with a hair dryer on hi.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #5135
chrislroy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KTM Adventure R 1190 2014

Hi - I purchase a fantastic bike last year, ride softly with it since it was quite big for me.
The dealer here in Quebec stored it for me.
This spring, april 7, I returned to pick it up at the dealer. Unfortunately the bike did not start.
They boosted it for me and I left. For ten consecutive days, I had to boost the bike to start it.
After complaining - the dealer decided to come and get the bike back at the shop to look at it.
They worked on it for one day following KTM Canada directives...
Unfortunately, they never got around to make the bike runs as it should be.
The problem being that it would not start under cold weather (under 15C)...
Finally, KTM Canada decided they would take over...
Its been 2 weeks and so far no news from them.
The season is heating up and I am desperate. After one week, and complains, the finally found a bike I could ride while they fix mine. Its an Adventure 2015 without pannier and knobby. It has 16Km on the meter, so it is brand new. Cool, but what can you do with a new bike wihtout accesories.
There is a ride this weekend I want to attend... but not with a borrowed bike...

I still have not news from them, what should I do?

Do I have any right, I feel I purchase a lemon, always complained about it not starting cold...

I am so damm angry - I should I purchase a GSA and be done with it. Instead I purchase a tons or problem.

I love the bike, it has character, power, agile etc... but sincerely...

any comments...
chrislroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #5136
paidoutcomes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislroy View Post
Hi - I purchase a fantastic bike last year, ride softly with it since it was quite big for me.
This spring, april 7, I returned to pick it up at the dealer. Unfortunately the bike did not start.
They boosted it for me and I left. For ten consecutive days, I had to boost the bike to start it.
After complaining - the dealer decided to come and get the bike back at the shop to look at it.
The season is heating up and I am desperate. After one week, and complains, the finally found a bike I could ride while they fix mine. Its an Adventure 2015 without pannier and knobby. It has 16Km on the meter, so it is brand new. Cool, but what can you do with a new bike wihtout accesories.
There is a ride this weekend I want to attend... but not with a borrowed bike...

Do I have any right, I feel I purchase a lemon, always complained about it not starting cold...

I am so damm angry - I should I purchase a GSA and be done with it. Instead I purchase a tons or problem.

any comments...
Other inmates have had similar issues and KTM replaced their starter to something similar to the superduke. The model was something like sm13 or such. Others had a firmware flash and felt that solved the issue. 2013 models had issues with the main battery cables too. Things to ask your dealer about anyhow.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM   #5137
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,291
chrislroy, the hard cold start issue is addressed here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003836

As paidoutcomes mentioned, there is a reflash and some people get an upgraded starter.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #5138
HarryHippy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:

any comments...
You need the 2015 starter its off the 1290 there is also a remap for cold starts but all the new 1190 have Mitsuba#SM13 not the SM #17 starter which is on your bike

HarryHippy screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:40 PM
HarryHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #5139
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Quote:

any comments...

You have ONE problem that has a relatively simple solution in the starter replacement. I understand frustration, but keep it in perspective, be a little patient, and when it comes back to you, ride the heck out of it. In the mean time, be glad they are trying to fix it instead of sending it back and telling "it'll be fine", as some inmates have had.

Old Today, 01:52 AM   #5140
guyfawkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
finally took the step and purchased a silver 1190 yesterday...ill get it delivered this friday...GS has been sold for 2 weeks and im getting itchy to ride ...
guyfawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #5141
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
finally took the step and purchased a silver 1190 yesterday...ill get it delivered this friday...GS has been sold for 2 weeks and im getting itchy to ride ...

Congrats!