60Csx How to load multiple .gpx tracks files?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by snooker, May 9, 2011.

1. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    In MapSource I know how to build a mapset with multiple map sections from various maps, how to save it to a .gdb mapset file, and then how to download it to my 60.

But I'm headed to Moab and found a bunch of tracks files for many rides there. Each one is in its own .gpx file and I cannot figure out how to get multiple .gpx files into MapSource at once. If I drag and drop the file and look under Tracks it just replaces the tracks that are there instead of adding to them. I have 15 .gpx tracks files I want to get onto my 60. Maybe there is a way to just load them directly onto the 60 without first adding them to MapSource or ?
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    First .gpx is a file format, Mapsource is a program. Two totally different things. Mapsorce will open a .gpx file or a .gdp file.

Using Mapsource to download to a 60/76:

Unlike maps which must all be downloaded all at once (old ones are erased), you can just keep downloading Routes, Tracks, and Waypoints until the reserved space is full. Your 60 will take up to 20 500 point Tracks. You can download them one at a time from 20 different Mapsource files or combine 20 tracks into 1 Mapsource file and download them all at once.

To add tracks from one file to another file, you just open a target Mapsource, then open one of the source files with a track, single click on the track on the left, Copy (control C), go to the traget file, Past (control V).

If any of you tracks have more than 500 points, double click on it to get to "Properties" page and use filter tool at bottom to filter to <500 pints.
  3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Also - you can't load tracks, routes, or waypoints to a 60 by "drag and drop". You have to use Mapsource and "Send to device".

So what are you dragging and dropping?
  4. snooker

Oddometer:
    I was trying to get multiple tracks (which are in multiple .gpx files) into MapSource by dragging and dropping the .gpx file from Windows Explorer into MapSource. I can D&D one but when I drop the second one it wipes out the first. I was thinking I had to get everything I wanted into MapSource first (like in one mapset), then download it all to the 60 at once, but now I see that tracks behave differently than maps and I don't have to do it this way.

thanks.
  5. snooker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Countdown, that helps a LOT! I'll try it tonight...

(p.s. I got my swingarm replaced since the infamous LAB2V snappage...).
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you now understand that Mapsource is not a file it is an application and you can't D&D files into it, you open .gpx files with Mapsource then use Mapsource to talk to your Garmin GPS?
  7. snooker

Oddometer:
    Well yes I understand how to use it now. I think we are just speaking in different computer "dialects" here...

I know Mapsource is an application but you actually *can* drag and drop a .gpx file from Windows Explorer into MapSource (just like you can to many other applications like Word, Internet Explorer and so on, as long as it can understand the file extension type you are dropping). D&D is just a shortcut from doing File-> Open from the File menu within MapSource (or any other app that takes a .gpx file) and the tracks show up under the Tracks tab.

The key was learning your statement:
    "Unlike maps which must all be downloaded all at once (old ones are erased), you can just keep downloading Routes, Tracks, and Waypoints until the reserved space is full."

I also learned elsewhere that if you want tracks from say 20 different .gpx files to download to your GPS device at one time, then here is a trick to get them all into 1 MapSource window first:
    Open 2 Mapsource windows with both having their Tracks tab selected: Mapsource "A" is where you want to load all of them, but you ifirst open each .gpx file into Mapsource "B" then right click on a track in the Tracks tab and pick Copy then go to the Mapsource "A" window in the Tracks tab and right click and pick Paste. Repeat by opening each .gpx in the "B" window and copying and pasting it into the "A" window and you will not overwrite the tracks in the "A" window but simply add to them until they are all in the "A" window.

You can also use the Microsoft standard of Ctl-c and Ctl-v for copy and paste. Even if you already know this, perhaps typing this up here will help the next newbie like me... thanks.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer: