GPS app for android w/ 'buddy tracking'. Similar to GPS Kit for iPhone

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by 211, Jul 3, 2013.

1. 211

211 ThorsPadre Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a good GPS app for Android that'll do basic tracking and routing, cache maps and satellite for offline mode, and most importantly track your buddy who is also using the app?

There's an app for my iPhone that I use called GPS Kit. It does all of the above and then some but the coolest feature is when my buddy and I get seperated we can track eachothers whereabouts.
  2. Eddieb

Eddieb Long timer

Oddometer:
    ORUX will do all of that except the buddy tracking I think, and it's free. The Buddy tracking sounds like a cool feature.

I've only had a short play with it and the presentation wasn't great but I'm not sure if that was software, device (Samsung Galaxy SII) or settings related.

Once Orux is installed browse to the ORUX/Mapfiles directory and create a new directory called Garmin. Copy your gmapsupp.img file into there. Start the app up and use the app menu's to tell it to use those maps as offline. I can't remember the exact menu path sorry.
  3. 211

211 ThorsPadre Supporter

Oddometer:
    The buddy tracking is the main feature I want to have included. Most GPS apps will do all of the other stuff; some do it better than others.
  4. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Try Life360, it works brilliantly and is free.