New Michelin Anakee 3 Tires

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CompAcc, Dec 19, 2012.

1. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the report ! Thank you

I need to do something soon and have been thinking Anakee .......
  2. gbtw

gbtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put it on one week a go and only done our local "twisties" (called dikes ;)) They feel about the same as the old anakees 2's on pavement.

However what i was not to happy about was the amount of effort to get them on the F800GS's 21 inch front wheel. Serously had to manhandle the fitting machine to make it work. Took a hour and 30 minutes and 3 people to get it to stick (with inner tubes). No scratches or dings but i fear i might have to remove it with a saw!
  3. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front was tough to install on my Capo too. It has a pretty substantial sidewall.
  4. sprale

sprale Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer:
    After 23k miles on a pair of Anakee 2 tires on my V-Strom, I set out looking for another of the same. When I found it hard to find a pair at a good price, I saw the reviews of the Anakee 3 tires and decided to give it a shot. I just placed an order at CompAcc. I've had good experiences with them in the past and can't wait to get the new tires mounted and see how they compare.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the mounting. I've only put the front on so far but it's the toughest tire I've ever mounted. Could not get the bead to seat, took over an hour airing up and down, lubing the bead, removing the tire completely and starting over. Finally got fed up and went in to eat supper leaving about 70psi in the tube/tire. Came out an hour later and thankfully bead had seated.

Really hope I never get a flat with these as I can't imagine getting a tube replaced and aired up properly using my portable compressor.

But I'm carrying tubes, irons, pump so I should never get a flat, right. :norton
  6. Mopti

Mopti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought the Anakee 3's for my 1991 R100 GS. We got the rear on with lots of sweat even warming it in the sun. Next, the front. Again, very hard to get around the rim. No luck getting it to seat even with loads of No-Mar lube. Tried several times. Even put in 80 psi! Twice what Michelin said was OK. We used a manual machine. Rim is clean and I even wire brushed it. Ideas?
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    When I said earlier that I couldn't get my bead to seat, it never did "seat" as in getting the pop-pop like you normally do. But the bead just wasn't sitting properly in the wheel. There's a thin raised line on the tire that sits about an 1/8" outside the rim. I always had a bit of that raised line under the rim lip so I knew the tire wasn't sitting properly on the wheel. Until I left it pressured up for an hour. Now the raised line is equal to the rim all around the wheel on both sides so I called it good. Never did get the bead to seat.

I think the problem is these are tubeless tires so they have a different bead. They are OK to run tubes so just something we have to live with.
  8. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a Metzeler laser onthe front of my GS that was leaking all around the bead. Slow leak. Had to put air in every 4 or 5 days. So I popped it off and cleaned the bead. Put it back on and couldn't get the bead to seat no matter what I did. Took it to a local shop and the guy took it in the back and came back 5 minutes later with it seated.
  9. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but his GS has tubeless wheels.
  10. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    23k as in 23,000? o_O

Broadcasting from a Mexican radio.
  11. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Set on my 07 vstrom no problems mounting or balancing . Work great on pavement wet or dry . Handles gravel very well with a small amount of "hunting" on the front. Better turn in than the trailwings , stable at all angles and speeds. Running 36 ft and 40 rear.
  12. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    4000 mile pavement report; Anakee 3 on front and Anakee 2 on rear. Both are H rated. The Anakee 2 is a known commodity so not much to say. 34# front, 38# rear, loaded for touring/camping. I was very pleased with the performance and feel, turn in, etc. No squaring at all, the opposite actually.

An idea of roads I used, in order (I was videoing twisty bits this trip with the GoPro): Teton Pass, Flaming Gorge, pass down into Vernal UT, pass down into Fruita CO, Rimrock drive in Colorado National Monument, Million Dollar Highway, twisty road in Mesa Verde NP, Highway 64 across NM, flats across KS and the 91 and 19 in MO, Interstate (yuck), 295 and 20 across Nebraska, 87, 16A, and 14A in the Black Hills (waited and timed to minimize car chicanes), and then 16 across WY to home. As much twisty as I could fit in considering. And I did have the wick turned up a little for videoing:wink:

Not sure what is happening but the pics will show. It is like there is a harder compound in the center and is wearing very slowly compared to the sides. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. speedmonkey7

speedmonkey7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like how my buddy's dual sport touring tires wear on his FJR1300. Are they dual compound ?
    Edit: lol I'm so used to talking about dual sport stuff I wrote that when I meant to say super sport.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 2
  14. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are dual compound but there is no literature that says so.
  15. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I noticed the same wear pattern on my front yesterday. I have 3500 miles on mine.
  16. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like regular old cupping to me - maybe a bit odd looking visually due to the way the tread is cut
  17. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran Bridgestone S-11"s on my street bikes for years from a lil Suzuki 550 all the way up to my 1200 Goldwing . I love that tire ! Sticky in the switchbacks & great mileage .

It was a dual compound tire . You Could actually see where the two compounds were bonded and almost different shades of rubber . The lines were very straight at the bond tho .

But Michelin ... Who knows very possible ...........
  18. Stoney911

Stoney911 Moto Nerd

Oddometer:
    Just ran my rear Anakee 3 from Vancouver to Moab, Vegas, San Diego, then back up the coast. 8000km/5000mi on them now. Road in all kinds of temps and conditions as you could imagine. They performed as advertised for sure. Surprised how decent they are off road. Had to try to get them to break loose on dry fire roads. I try not to ride the big GS off road in the rain (I know this sometime can't be avoided). No good in the sand but that was expected. Showing similar wear pattern as a few fellow inmates however, and since day one have had a weird 'vibration' when driving over uneven pavement. Almost felt like my traction control comes on? Best way to describe it. Anyone else feeling this. Anyway it has toned down as they wear. I've just chalked it up to the tread pattern. Other than this they have performed great! No "holy shit" moments. Gotta like that!
  19. Nail24

Nail24 Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer:
    I just mounted a set on my GS last Thursday. I kow that they will fair well on asphalt. Now I want to do some gravel and see if the tread design really works.
  20. KSBEERHUNTER

KSBEERHUNTER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been running Anakee 2 tires for a long time. Went with the Anakee 3s this time. I read where they are not supposed to cup as bad. I guess we will find out. I do notice a "thrumming" sensation in the hand grips. Not real bad but, it feels like I am riding over small grooves or raised bumps in the road at highway speeds. It is like riding over on the shoulder and riding over the warning bumps with out the noise and not nearly as bad. They have some what of a knobby tire feel to them although you wouldn't imagine it by looking at the tread. The tread dept is the deepest I have ever seen 10/32". My hopes are getting more milage than the Anakee 2s and without the fron tire cupping. I have been getting 11,000 miles out of a rear and 25,000 miles from the front. The front should have been thrown away at 15,000 miles due to the cupping. I go two rears to one front. It is tough some times to tolerate the vibes from a cupped front tire. Will continue to post about the tires as they gain more milage.