F800 oil leak

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lexluther11, Jun 8, 2013.

1. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I was saving to buy a 2013 F800 but I'm wanting to ride to South America this fall too so due to money I was thinking on buying a used F800. I'm going to look at a 2009 F800 with 16,000 km on it. The owner told me it has a oil leak coming from the head and needs a new gasket replaced saying it would cost around $300 to fix. Being a KLR guy and not familair with the F800 yet, is this a known problem and a easy fix? Should I even look at it or just keep looking for another one?

Thanks for your advice..............:D
  2. corriej

corriej Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets hope he meant valve cover gasket:deal That's a common issue. BMW improved the gasket or used shorter bolts, I don't remember which. They don't leak anymore.

You have to take the valve cover off to check the valves anyway at some point. If it is not too bad or near valve check time, they will replace the gasket as part of the valve check. Don't pay the labor twice.

If you are going to do it yourself, you need to remove the plastic body parts, battery, air cleaner?
    The rest is similar to a KLR, 4 bolts for the cover. Use a sealant on the bottom of the gasket with the half moons.