Shoei Visor Adjustment

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by onesaintsfan, Aug 23, 2011.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Quick question. Is there anyway to tighten the visor mechanism on a Shoei helmet so that it will stay open while riding? I got a new qwest helmet yesterday after being away from Shoeis for several years. Had an Arai last but sure feels great to be back in a Shoei.

But upon inspection, I remember now one big fault with Shoeis. That being the ratchet mechanism on the visor. I am sure being new it will be fine for awhile. But these do wear, and wind will force the visor closed.

Bad habit I have is riding with the visor open most all the time ( bi-focal sunglasses day-Bi-focal glasses night).

I see how the adjustment is made to eliminate noise on a shield that is not seating properly, but nothing about tightening the ratchet mechanism.

Also, has anyone installed a J&M headset in one of these. Got to take the one out of my TZ-R and put in this one. ( side clamp model)

Thanks in advance
  2. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    I don't have this problem with the rf1000, ratchet mechanism is very stiff. Maybe the Qwest is different??
  3. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    Looks and feels ok now, just was wondering as I do remember having that issue with my other Shoei
  4. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    Thread Hi-Jack - Is the Qwest a lot more quiet than other helmets you've used. I'm thinking seriously about buying one, and besides the great way that Shoei fits me, my main reason for the purchase is to reduce wind noise as much as possible.
  5. EvilPlansLLC

EvilPlansLLC n00b

Oddometer:
    You won't have a need to tighten the visor down because of the way the new Shoei side plates are designed. The horizontally mounted springs on the side plates keep the face shield firmly against the racketing system.

This system helps keep the Qwest, RF1100, and X-Twelve quieter around the face-shield edges. It seals the face-shield on the gasket attached to the helmet making the face-shield wind and water tight seal.

I got my Qwest back in march of this year and absolutely love it. I would highly recommend it to anyone that spends most of their time riding in a upright seated position.
  6. Sleepy John

Sleepy John Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    Have not had a chance to test it yet ( work ). Once again...what I am talking about is not pressure against the shell to block out wind! What I AM talking about is what holds the shield OPEN during riding.

BTW. Took a look at it today since I have to install a new J&M headset in it ( dont ask ) It comes with a recess built in for helmet speakers. ( NICE ).

They claim it is more of a touring helmet than a sport and I believe it now !
  8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about Shoei, but Arai and Schuberth both designed the visor to close by itself while riding.
  9. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    I can keep my rf1000 open halfway at freeways speeds and it doesn't budge.

Is the Qwest much quieter?
  10. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    Pro................... Noticeably quieter than any other helmet I have owned
    Very Light
    Very comfortable A+ _
    Appears to be designed for ease of headset install
    ( speaker recess built in with wire channels)
    Very good venting
    Great visability
    Good Looking

Con.................. As expected, at 70MPH + when the wind breaks over
    the top of the windshield on my R1200GSA with
    Laminar Lip, it forces the shield closed.

Overall great helmet. Just wish I could prop the shield open at Interstate speeds and wear my Sunglasses or clear bi-focals at night. :cry

Great Helmet !
  11. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I ride a GS with a windshield . I like to ride with the shield open, but the wind coming over the windshield closes it. I wish there was a way to prop the shield all the way open. Thats my only gripe with this otherwise great helmet.
  12. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to pop the shield off and stow it in a bag until you need it?