F800GS ABS problem - need help

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Motowalt, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bullshit!! My bullshit meter is going off its tits!!!

Damaged ABS sensor!!
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  2. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK
    Took the bike to my dealer...they advised that once my particular ABS sensed something was wrong (either with dirt on the sensor, or me not removing the front sensor during the knobby tire change) the bike would not reset the ABS and they had to reset it via their computer.

It seems to work fine now.

I agree that running knobbies on the street, I prefer not having the ABS on for better feel if not better stopping distances. FWIW
  3. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

I run TKCs on the street all the time and I prefer to have the ABS on until I get off the pavement. I think stopping distance will still be much shorter with ABS vs. locking up and sliding.
  4. 396427454

396427454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Interesting comment from the dealer. I bent the rear wheel sensor ring and the ABS light came on. After I straightened up the ring and then turned the bike on and off, the light went away.

David
  6. kazi77

kazi77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue couple of weeks ago, just straightened up that rotor, it's working fine.
  7. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2013 F800GS ABS will not turn off...:confused:

When I picked it up from the dealer, the ABS would not turn off - I figured I would re-read the manual when I got home. Followed instructions....ABS would not turn off. Took it back to the dealer, they attempted to diagnose the fault but were not able to turn off the ABS or locate a clear fault. Dealer ordered a new ABS switch, replaced it under warranty...ABS still would not turn off.

Dealer had the bike the past 4 days to attempt a fix. Dealer says they have spoken with BMW USA and tried upgrading the "software"...ABS still will not turn off. Now they are waiting to hear from the motherland.

I like my dealer a LOT, it seems to me they are trying their best to resolve the issue. I emailed Stephen at Burnsmoto.com a few minutes ago asking if his ABS OFF switch might help. I saw other forums on the traction control issues with the F800GS that seemed similar. Any one else had this issue that I am having? Any suggestions?

If you had the same problem and your dealer fixed your ABS so it will turn off, can you either reply which dealer it was and who to speak with at the dealer or PM me.

Is removing the front sensor a temporary or even "emergency" fix?

I ride 70% off road....I would like the ABS to turn off.
  8. docsherlock

docsherlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You see, I just don't want shit like this in my life - I have enough already.

That's why I just bought a 2012 V-Strom 650. ABS can't be turned off, but it shouldn't blow a gasket every time one wants to use it either....

QUOTE=Pangia;20683908]2013 F800GS ABS will not turn off...:confused:confused:confused

When I picked it up from the dealer, the ABS would not turn off...:topesI figured I would re-read the manual when I got home. Followed instructions....ABS would not turn off....:topes Took it back to the dealer - they attempted to diagnose, but were not able to turn off the ABS or locate a clear fault. Dealer ordered a new ABS switch, replaced it under warranty...ABS still would not turn off....:topes

Dealer had the bike the past 4 days to attempt a fix. Dealer says they have spoken with BMW USA and tried upgrading the "software"...ABS still will not turn off.....:topes Now they are waiting to hear from the motherland.

I like my dealer, it seems to me they are trying their best to resolve the issue. I emailed Stephen at Burnsmoto.com a few minutes ago asking if his ABS OFF switch might help. I saw other forums on the traction control issues with the F800GS that seemed similar. Any one else had this issue that I am having? Any suggestions?

If you had the same problem and your dealer fixed your ABS so it will turn off..:ricky, can you either reply which dealer it was and who to speak with at the dealer or PM me.

Is removing the front sensor a temporary or even "emergency" fix?

I ride 70% off road....I would like the ABS to turn off. If there is an ABS switch goddess who I can make an offering to please tell me the mantra and what offering to make....:rilla

Did I mention, the ABS will not turn off?....:ddog:topes[/QUOTE]
  9. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I believe the Burnsmoto switch works by installing a switch in the wiring from the rear wheel sensor to the ABS control unit. The connector where it taps in is under the seat near the diagnostic plug. (Check the install instructions on the Burns site for details & to make sure I am correct on this)....

If so as a quick check you could simply unplug that connector under the seat (bike turned off of course).

On a normal bike this would register a fault with the ABS computer at next power-up, and the ABS computer would then DISable the ABS system since it needs both wheel sensors to be working for it to do its ABS magic....
  10. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JR Wooden, Thank you for the reply regarding the Burnsmoto switch. Stephen from Burnsmoto replied that he has "stopped making and selling that cable as sales were very low. i would use the GS911 to diagnose your problem."

Regarding my ABS not turning off: My dealer was able to identify the problem - it is within the BMSK. There is no fault that will display on their shop diagnostic computer system for this particular situation. To diagnose, they put in a donor BMSK and then the ABS would turn off - so that is how the issue was diagnosed. They will have a replacement BMSK delivered in 1-2 weeks.

I have to hand it to my dealer - they were resourceful and put in a lot of extra hours to get this resolved as fast as they could.

Regarding riding with the ABS on - I did go for another ride yesterday, an 85 mile loop of dirt, gravel and forest service roads that I use as my "training ground" and there were a few times I wish I could have locked up the rear wheel. Instead, I had to downshift a lot more and not go into corners as fast as I might otherwise.
  11. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I'm glad they figured it out!
    Most of the time the ABS is fine, but there was this one time I was forced of the road on to a short section of dirt/gravel and the ABS kicked in inhibiting me from locking up the back wheel... I quickly saw that I was going to go through the guard rail at the end of the cutout if I didn't come up with another plan ... I was cussing the ABS the entire time ..........

I ended up squeezing back onto the edge of the asphalt right behind the jerk that had cut me off and managed to save things ...............

I think I would change the programming of the rear ABS to add a "rule" that says if the rider has attempted to have the REAR tire locked up for more than (say) 3 seconds ... go ahead and let him do it....... :lol3
  13. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In such situations its not easy to react right, similar thing happened to me just that it was a steep slope with gravel and at its end there was a paved road with lots of traffic. Unfortunately I stopped the engine on that hill, took a brake and went on - forgetting to switch the ABS off. When I tried to brake I realized that I would not make it and most probably cross the highway with loads of traffic. Not good. I squeezed both brake levers and went down without loosing much speed and I was staring at the cars crossing like a hypnotized cow. Shortly before the end of the slope I heard a voice saying: kill that engine fucking idiot!

So I did, and the ABS was off immediately. Sure the engine cut out too but I really did not need it but could block the rear wheel and brake hard on the front. I just(!) made it :)

Cheers Steve
  14. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Good advice Steve!
    Thanks!

I've been riding many years, but this is my first ABS bike, and I am mildly embarrassed to say I had not considered killing the engine...

You turned it off at the key yes?

Now I am wondering if ABS works with key-on and engine killed via kill-switch or a stall................
  15. Steveman

Oddometer:
    Hi Mr Wooden, Sir, nice to see you! :D

I admit, taking one hand off the bar while going down a hill with midsize gravel is definitely a challenge, but much better to risk going down instead of running over a busy road and being hit by a car. I turned the kill-switch not the key. The engine immediately died allowing me to lock the rear wheel, I did not care about the clutch and the engaged gear as I needed all my concentration to slow down the front wheel close to its locking limit. I just made it. I was amazed and all I needed to do was calm down and head home for fresh underwear :freaky
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Good to be seen by a man of your caliber and standing in the community .. :lol3
    That's a good tale with a happy ending ... :clap
  17. Steveman

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it and try to understand the technical background I wonder if this was a malfunction. Th elonger I think about it the more I am convinced that the ABS should work when the engine is killed via kill-switch...
    Cant check it with my bike at the moment, its too cold and I have no wheels installed...

CU
    Steve
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I wasn't thinking clearly about it either, but now with coffee in hand instead of ... :1drink

Maybe what really happened is that with engine off and the clutch ENGAGED the back wheel will not be turning (in gravel) you'll just be dragging the back wheel along regardless of what the ABS is saying because the engine is just holding the rear wheel from turning via the drive chain, and braking action could be somewhat modulated by the clutch ...

But yeah... understanding what ABS does with ignition on, engine off is something I now think I should understand better
  19. Steveman

Oddometer:
    I tried to search the net yesterday but found only a lot of bullshit concerning cars. Nothing about bikes. I wonder if someone could tell me if the ABS module works only when the engine is running or if it works when ignition is on, which is the case when I cut the engine with the kill-switch.
    A mate meant that once the speed drops below 5mph the ABS is inoperative, but I really know that I was much quicker. End of March I can test this, I will just kill the engine and see what happens when I brake hard, I will test this with the key and kill-switch.
    Maybe a wiring or schematic of the system may help. I really want to know what was going on. Till we chatted about it I did not even think that I might have misunderstood something. I can remember that I was able to brake harder with the front brake too....

But you know, when old men think they can remember.... :D
  20. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ABS functions with the engine on or off and regardless of kill position switch. It also continues to work for about 2 seconds after the key is switched off till the canbus gets around to sending a 9flag to the ABS module. It also functions down to 3Km on an F8, much slower then 5MPH

That said, I haven't actually read what issue your talking about but will go hunting for it :)