My number came up yesterday

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by bracky72, Apr 23, 2013.

1. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding my wr250r to work yesterday and as I was turning left into my work driveway the gentleman behind me decided to gun it and pass me. He nailed me on my left side flipping me onto his hood and then onto the side of the road.

I immediately gave myself a quick self check and saw my left leg had gone rag doll beneath the knee. The guy that hit me got out of his car and was frantic. He was yelling oh god I'm going to prison for the rest of my life for this. Please sir don't tell them what happened. I was like dude I am seriously injured please call 911. He did not so I got my phone from my jacket pocket and placed the call myself but wasn't able to communicate with 911 because my helmet was still on. Thankfully another gentleman arrived and told me he was calling.

About this time one of the cars that was stopped because of my accident ulled off and drove away. The frantic gentleman starting calling out that they were running. I'm like wtf dude you hit me.

So after about 15 minutes the paramedics arrive and start working on me. I knew my leg was pretty bad but the rest of my body seemed ok. They called in for a helicopter so a little more waiting in the ambulance and then I was whisked away to the hospital. It was a compound fracture of my tibea and fibula and surgery was scheduled for yesterday afternoon. They inserted a rod into my tibia and I'm now stabilized. It was a rough night to say the least. :eek1

So cliff notes...

I got hit and run from behind. Compound fracture. And the police don't seem real confident they will get him even though he was interviewed as a witness because it happened over a blind hill so the people behind him didn't see the accident only me flying onto his hood.

My bike suffered very little damage. My leg seems to have bore the brunt of the impact. I remember the noise of my helmet impacting his hood but there is very little visible damage. It tore off my visor and scratched it up a little. I was wearing a Shoei Multitec and the modular front remained closed during the accident. My Tourmaster Epic jacket also came out with hardly a rash. I was wearing jeans but I honestly don't think any gear would have saved my leg. It was a solid direct impact.

I'm scheduled to be released tomorrow.

I feel fortunate to be alive! :freaky
  2. DirtReeper

DirtReeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Well glad you came out relatively ok. Good luck with the lawyer/ insurance game.
  3. buckrut1972

buckrut1972 H.R. Nightmare

Oddometer:
    Damn man hell of a story. Best of luck to getting back to whatever u consider normal was....:p.

I agree that ATGATT is good for 75% of what can happen in a motorcycle accident....
    Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
  4. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I was hesitant to post my story at first but I figured I would share it with my advrider brothers and sisters.
  5. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry you had to post here.

WTF is wrong w/ people these days? Guy hits you, causes injury then fails to man up and take responsibility; nice.

Heal up, man.
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    That doesnt sound right that they dont want to try to prove he did or didnt hit you,there will be some kind of marks on his car from the impact.
    They are negligent if they let him go with out that after you told them who hit you.

Hope your leg heels well and quick.
  7. Droptop50

Droptop50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dammit!
    When I was the victim of a U turning truck, and after the dust settled, it appeared he was about to drive away from the scene. I yelled and waved my arm at him. He thankfully did a u-turn and came back. Could have been a hit and run so easily...

I wish you a speedy recovery!:thumb
  8. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    bracky- Your post/experience prompted me to finally purchase a cam this evening.
  10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Hope your recovery is uneventful. Seems like there has to have been some marks on his vehicle. Fooey on the cops.

I've noticed another trend, too. You are making a left turn on a two-lane and you are positioned in the left 1/3 of the lane, and more and more people will pass you on the right, half in your lane before you've even completed the turn.

I'm inclined to start making my left turns from closer to the right 1/3 of my lane and not give the miscreants an opening... :deal

--Bill
  11. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage

Oddometer:
    I'm confused. The guy that hit you was there, but the news article says hit and run. Did he bail after you went in the heli?
  12. arbutus

arbutus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yikes, that sounds like a bad one, good thing it wasn't worse! Maybe I'm stupid but how the hell are they going to have problems figuring out what happened and who is at fault? Someone said there must be marks on the guy's car, and how could anyone dispute that you must have been turning into your work driveway, which, if true, means that this guy hit you when he shouldn't have... :huh
    Hope it works out for you but it's unbelievable that someone could get away with this.
  13. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's unbelievable to me also but I'm afraid it's true. My bike was hardly damaged. Just a bent foot peg and some paint traded. He really did run right into my leg so it took most of the blow. The turn is just past a blind hill so the cars following didn't see it. It's so crazy to me because i know the guy did it. :puke1
  14. Tall Man

Tall Man Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Oddometer:
    ?? Did the fellow that hit you actually leave the scene, or not?
  15. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No he stayed on scene. But he deflected the blame to a car that drove off. I'll never forget him screaming frantically that he was going to prison for the rest of his life. Unfortunately the police can't seem to figure out who he was even though they most likely got a statement from him.

It's extremely frustrating to me laying in this hospital bed with the answers but the police can't seem to put the pieces together.
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the exact same thing happen to me, minus the collision. At what point to people decide its okay to stop driving civilized and start driving like a fucking idiot? I avoided the collision because I got lucky. The guy got out of his car and screamed at me about hurrying up afterwards (we pulled into the same bank)

No faith in humanity.

Get well soon.
  17. fahrenheit

fahrenheit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the guy that hit you they are treating as a witness. And they are searching for a witness that they believe is a suspect?

Is your bike made of marshmallows or something? How can they not tell he hit you? :hmmmmm
  18. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    If YOU did something wrong, you can be sure the police would be all over you like a cheap suit.

I hope the bastard that hit you gets charged, big time.
  19. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Filing a false police report is a serious crime.

Time to see the chief, and also if you live in the town, call the mayor. If that does not work, call the paper.

Rod
  20. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do live in the town where the accident occurred. I was actually turning into my folks driveway so they had to see me on the side of the road. :(

But I have a lot of friends here including a sheriff so we'll see what happens. I just got home and am getting settled. The police did tell me that since I wasn't killed its just a misdemeanor hit and run. That was a reality check. I though it was a more serious crime.

But I live! So I shall not be bitter. :)