Full face street helmet vs moto style helmet for dual-sport riding

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Sierra Thumper, Oct 30, 2012.

?

Which do you prefer, full face helmet or moto style for dual-sporting?

1. Full face, I'm too good-looking to risk damaging my mug

2. Moto style with goggles....you ride dirt, you better look dirt

3. Helmets are for kids, old people, and nerds on bicycles

4. A Harley-tough bandana's good enough for me

5. Free Hookers for all

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So just wondering how you guys feel about full face street helmets vs moto style helmets for dual sport riding? I've been using full face street style helmets for so long, I prefer the full coverage, wind tight quieter feel of them over the open, noiser, colder. goggles over the eyes moto style.
  2. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833434

Depends what you're doing, riding style etc. etc.
    I use a Fox V1. It's hot out here in during the summer. And I would suffocate with in a full face helmet riding through whoops. If the helmet fits properly it should be almost as proctective as a full face in a spill on the asphalt.
  3. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have gone to a DS helmet. Face shield, and able to use goggles.... Looks like a MX helmet

[​IMG]
  4. nivag

nivag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm only a recent convert so using a old street full face helmet at the moment, will look at different once funds permit, probably a dual-sport style with visor.
  5. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like a full face street helmet when riding on the street, not so much when the dust kicks up. But the street helmet sure is nicer (wind, buffeting, drag) when at highway speeds.

It is a matter of picking what is appropriate for the riding you are going to be doing. There is no single helmet that works best everywhere. If there was then we wouldn't need this poll, again.
  6. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Depends on the ride. I use a moto, dual sport, or street helmet. Since I got the Dual Sport helmet I rarely use my street helmet though.
  7. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    I use this because I ride a lot more off road, but I'd like to get a dual sport helmet for longer rides with more road miles.
    Something like a Fly Trekker maybe. That off road helmet can be a bitch when you get above 65 mph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. FlyGuy

FlyGuy MachineHead

Oddometer:
    Street helmet should work for most DS riders
    Warmer in colder weather, Quieter and less wind drag especialy in cross winds.

DS helmet for speeds up to 70 MPH or so, the visor is a big help in low sun angles, like sun up or down (safer) greater visibility to the imediate ground.
    More draggy and a nuisance in high cross wind or buffeting conditions

Motocross helmet for hot weather 80+degrees mostly used when in all dirt conditions with lower speeds and lower gearing or used to keep cooler in any hot conditions.
    Verry draggy and a real pain at higher speeds especially in cross winds
    But if hot enough may offset the wind issues

This is on a bike with no wind screen and my personal experiance.
  9. smokin moses

smokin moses n00b

Oddometer:
    i use a full face that i can flip up.the helmet works great to reduce wind noise at higher speeds,so don't my ear plugs.but when i,m in traffic or slow riding class 4 roads i leave it flipped up because it's cooler and in traffic i can see better with less blind spots.
  10. TNkayaker

TNkayaker Wookin' pa nub

Oddometer:
    Dirt helmet with goggles. Light sensitive lens, and I put in earplugs when I am on the slab. In cold weather I often cover the helmet's vents with gaffers tape. If I get heated up on the trail, I pull the tape, stick it elsewhere on the helmet, and re-cover the vents when I hit the slab again.
  11. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the Arai XD4 dual sport helmet. Works great in most situations. The only time I have trouble is riding trails in cold weather when I get fogging and condensation even with an anti-fog shield. In those cases I usually carry some goggles and flip up the shield and use goggles. I have a Klim helmet and it requires goggles but is very noisy for highway riding. I may use it next time I ride in Baja though as it is very light and well ventilated.
  12. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    I run an Arai XD3, but they just came out with the XD4, and I think a dualsport helmet is the way to go. Goggles or face shield, up to the rider.
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    If you are dual sporting and you get caught in the rain / snow with a helmet with no shield, your nose will be stinging.

I have an XD.

Not really a Thumpers topic...
  14. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've tried the MX helmet with goggles, and I'm sure it has its place, but I switched to a Shoei DS Hornet with a shield that flips up. With goggles, I was always having bees and bugs sneek by the goggles and get inside the helmet... drove me nuts. Don't have to worry about that now. Oh, and a lot more wind noise with goggles... my Shoei is pretty quiet.
  15. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    I've never ran that style of helmet, just the moto style with goggles or a full face street style. I might need to give one a try :thumb Thats why I was curious on folks feedback :D
    I have a couple moto style helmets, but always seem to end up taking my street helmet regardless of the bike I'm riding.....
  16. Sierra Thumper

Oddometer:
    I put it in thumpers because I figured us thumper riders would be more likely to wear a moto style helmet than the big bike, more street oriented adventure guys........I figured they prolly all wear full face street helmets. I wanted the feedback from us "dirtier" types :lol3
  17. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    XD here. I seldom put the visor down. I run with safety glasses to cover the eyes. When it rains or debris is being tossed around the visor goes down. Otherwize visor up and let the wind rip through.

I already know that an XD4 is in my future. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year. :evil
  18. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Gotcha.

Most of the ADV type riders use an Arai XD or similar, the hybrid with the larger opening to accommodate goggles, but also with a shield.

I first had one back in 1999, before they were sold in the US as the XD.
    I had my Dad mail me one from the UK, the Arai DS/r.

I'm a big fan of Arai, that one saved at least my jaw in a crash. :D
  19. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I found on my CDR ride that the XDs were perfect. Open the visor for max air flow and enjoy the scenery and when trucks/jeeps were passing in the opposite direction quickly pull the visor down and miss all the debris that they kicked up. OBTW it works well at keeping hail off the face. DAMHIK.
  20. 243Win

243Win Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XD, wear it for everything now. Even up to 100mph runs on my SV. Yeah, you gotta be prepared when you head check at speed, but if you know the tug is coming, it's fine.

And no, I wasn't being a squid running a 100mph on my SV. I-15 in Idaho. Speed limit is 75, everyone is running 90 and if you want around the truck infront of you due to the buffeting, you'll bust the ton getting there. :D

That big ol' bill on the XD was no problem.

And off-road, I wear glasses anyhow so visor up to let the wind blow threw and keep me cool. Only problem I've ever had with it is when it is cold out. Even with all the vents shut, it is still a cool helmet. Oh and it is noisy so you won't be listening to itunes on your iPhone with it, but I can deal with that.:clap