Adirondack Foliage Ride (yes, we plan early)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Rode2Nowhere, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday, October 11th
    9:00am
    @ Big Hollow Rd

So here it is...

The official thread of Adirondack Dual Sport ride #2 . Taking place this 2008 Fall riding season.

We have 2 routes planned... er... 3... sort of.

We've got something for everyone. An easy day trip of tarmac cut with easy (and a bit of moderate) dirt; a 2-day 400+ mile excursion circumnavigating the Adirondack park... also cut with dirt; and for those looking to try a somewhat more full day, the 2-day route in one day.

So pick your poison, load 'er into the GPS, and go!

2-Day .gpx
    Day Trip .gpx

:freaky

The Wannago List:

hockey
    debaisley
    93-610
    dancolin
    Trust ?
    awm
    1DirtyGS
    Chuckracer
    Seabass
    ADKRanger
    Lars444
    noman
    rush4x4atv
  2. hockey

hockey LOVE 2 RIDE

Oddometer:
    :clap Here are my ideas. You can pick out what sounds good (if any) and add to other’s ideas.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    There is a seasonal road running from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Stratford</st1:City> up to rout 10 & 8 in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Piseco</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place>. From <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Piseco</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place> up route 8 to Speculator which has more seasonal roads such as East Road & Perkins Clearing areas. Could continue up 30 to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Indian</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType></st1:place> then????
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Are we planning an overnight? Weekday or weekend?
  3. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Though it is a little bit far out of the way , shelving rock rd at lake george is a nice ride.
  4. hockey

hockey LOVE 2 RIDE

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on where you’re starting from. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Lake George</st1:place> is actually a little out of the way from my area (Rome & Utica) , especially if your heading north from there.

5. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of good dirt riding out that way , but i can see how it would be trouble , especially being on the east coast of that lake , and they dont really interconnect with anything leading into central ADK.
  6. 93-610

93-610 I'm a tard

Oddometer:
    Fall of 07

08 dates? I'd like to make it:clap

[​IMG]
  7. dancolin

dancolin Weeeehaaa!

Oddometer:
    Been buried with work so glad you started the thread:clap so the tricky question is when to do it? The leaves change alot earlier just an hour north of me than they do here. Gotta find the ADK leaf peepin sweet spot..So maybe we should plan it for early October while its still warmer (hopefully)?
  8. hockey

hockey LOVE 2 RIDE

Oddometer:
    Depending how far north, sometime around the last week of September to the first week of October should be safe. Much before that, you’d get color but maybe not as brilliant and after that leaves may be off or snow.
  9. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, timing will be tricky. Early Oct is probably good. I'll be in Maine the last week in Sept, not that its all about me. :rofl
  10. ducky950

ducky950 Gnarly Water Fowl

Oddometer:
    Hey Rode2, Tribeless and I are heading up to my inlaws (they own the Alder Creek Golf Course) on Aug 14th-17th. Saturday we will be hitting the dirt and intend to head up your way. We will probably end up in Turin before looping back south again to Alder Creek. We will be on our larger bikes (KTM 950 & HP2), but will be looking for gravel, dirt roads, 2 track and single track stuff. You are welcome to join us or meet for a meal or head over to the golf course for drinks (bar on site).

Let me know!
  11. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite! That sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking you read my "Location" and think that I mean Stillwater Reservoir. Everyone does. I'm actually in Stillwater next to Saratoga. I should probably modify that... :deal
  12. ducky950

ducky950 Gnarly Water Fowl

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh, yes I did, my bad. Well we will be in Alder Creek (at the fork where Rt. 12 & Rt. 28 split) if anyone wants to meet!
  13. Trust

Trust but verify

Oddometer:
    Hockey, do you have to use the white text? Impossible to read in the Waxy theme....
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I'm in pal!
    :D
  15. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    I wanna go i wanna go.... :D ill be there....
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Dual sport,or straight up street bikes?
  17. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Interested in the answer to this myself. I decided to stop off-roading the 950SM so much. I'm kinda beating the hell out of it off road, and I really can't afford to trash it. The wheels especially are taking a beating, and the guys over at KTMTalk are posting scary pics of flattened header pipes and such...nope - no thanks.
    The occasional dirt road is OK, but beyond that, I'm out I'm afraid.
  18. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting thought. I was thinking we'd just start with, then modify (if desired) our route from June. How did you feel about that terrain mix? I think time-wise (not mileage) its 50/50 dirt/street, and some of those views looked shaweeet for leaf-peeping. :thumb
  19. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    That was a very good route. There was a couple of sections I could have done without, but if I take my time, I'll survive.

What the hell...lets ride! :evil
  20. XT_Driftwood

XT_Driftwood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. seems to me you'd be perfectly justified in adding a second bike to your stable, Chuckracer.

A shiny new Super Enduro would be the prectical choice, of course. Because all the controls and instruments would be familiar to you. And your riding gear would already match.