How to Keep that New F800GS Reasonably Safe from Theft???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by LDHunter, Feb 5, 2009.

1. LDHunter

LDHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK... I don't want someone ELSE riding my bike like they stole it!!!:deal

I already know that people can pick up and throw a bike in the back of a pickup or trailer and that there's little help for that.

I also am aware of chain and cable systems.

At home I keep my bikes in my garage with a very good alarm system and they have their steering locked and "other surprizes for thieves" that I'd rather not divulge.

What I specifically want to talk about is security/alarm systems that are compatible with the F800GS and that offer all the latest stuff such as pagers and keyless remotes and starter disconnects.

My greatest fear is having my new to be bike stolen while I'm in a store, restaurant or office and I don't want to have to lug around heavy chains, cables and locks. I'll keep my KLR for times I have to ride to high crime areas or leave it unattended for more than a few minutes.

Anyone have any good ideas other than get insurance and pray a lot? :D :lol3 :D

$bob$
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Take whatever measures that you can live with. I personally insure the bikes I want to insure, and park them with the steering locked. Cable, chain, etc., systems are more hassle to me than they are worth.

If I have a bike stolen, insurance will cover it. That's how I live.
  3. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    They can't ride it without the key/don't worry...be happy. A stolen BMW is very rare. They love harleys tho.:lol3
  4. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    You might pop for the BMW theft prevention system, but I'm with the other guys so far--insurance, fork lock, take the key, relax. But then I don't live where I need an alarm system in my garage or 'surprises for thieves,' so I can't appreciate your level of worry.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I remember buying my first bike (VS800 Intruder) in 2001 and worrying about it being stolen :patch Took a lot to park it, put a disc lock on it and walk away :shog Since that first time I rarely worry, :thumb as I know the bikes I like/love are not high on the list of stolen machines. I should mention that at that time I did live in a very lagre metroploitian area and most likely you'll have little to worry about :thumb Worry less as others have mentioned and get out & Ride your new wheels :thumb

6. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the BMW alarm and use one of these:

[​IMG]
  7. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Stolen 800gs, or any modern beemer for all that matters, it would be a utterly waste of resources and time for the thieves.

No key with the chip? NO WAY IT STARTS.
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Professional bike thieves know that the bike cannot be started without the key. Period. There's no way to defeat the immobilizer and obtaining a key from the dealer fraudulently requires the thief (or the owner, for that matter) to provide an original copy of the ownership paper.

What you have to worry about is the punk who doesn't know he can't hot wire it...

Just mount the seat in the high position.. that should be deterrent enough :lol3
  9. LDHunter

LDHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the BMW alarm system is pretty good?

If it doesn't come with the bike do you know how much it costs?

Thanks,
    $bob$
  10. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    In the FWIW category:

The local dealer here waved me off on the alarm system, saying that it gave too many false alarms. It also takes up valuable space under the seat where tools or whatever could otherwise be stored :wink:

Jim
  11. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
    :patch Just stick your name on the side of it and nobody will touch it...:patch

[​IMG]
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    cool. where did you get that sticker made?
  13. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
  14. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always found that a bike cover is very cheap insurance. I've commuted to work for years and always covered the bike while at work and that tends to keep people away. If someone really wants it there's not much you can do but a simple out of sight out of mind solution works well.
  15. Swedge

Swedge Panzer commander

Oddometer:
    I use the "seat monkey" and the fact that my bike is so ugly nobody would want to steal it.
  16. Silver King

Silver King Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer:
    :roflKLRs are good for that. I never have to worry about mine.

I've been lusting over this particular red Duc for sale locally and keep fretting about the need to keep it locked up. :norton
  17. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    The likelihood of someone randomly seeing your bike and taking it are slim. This is something that generally has to be planned. That or the thiefs are not very bright. So unless you park it or frequent some place very often I would not put much thought into it. In the end, if a thief wants your bike he takes your bike, period. I don't care what you have on it.

Alarms are a waste of time. People don't pay attention to them anymore. The thief can not start the bike without the factory key. So by the time you figure out what is going on, the bike is on the back of a truck, wastefully wailing away!
  18. GSjoyride

GSjoyride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was curious how other riders attempted to keep their motorbikes
    from disappearing after a fellow rider's bike was stolen, seems that
    some kids (yes Gadget Boy you were spot on!!:thumb) took his motorbike
    and left their BMX in it's place....

so here's a link on how some of the Chain Gang try to keep others
    from walking off with their prized possessions......

http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=223051&start=0

OH!!!! HE got his bike back:wings:wings:wings:wings
  19. blackie

blackie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup like Gadget Boy said without the Immobiliser key, no way the bike can be started.

The OEM alarm is extremely piercing and loud and would generally deter the casual punk trying to make off with it or just sitting on it. It was funny watching a friend of mine trying to get off my bike when the alarm went off, he didn't know it was turned on :D
    Oh yes there is bright flashing red light on the rev counter with the OEM alarm also I thought that was a nice touch. Whether or not someone actually sees it in the daytime is another story. Night time that flashing light can be seen from miles.:1drink

But generally if I have to leave the bike overnight in a high pedestrian traffic area, I always cover it.
  20. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    I personally don't worry too much about going overboard to lock up my bikes with various gadgets. If I use anything I use a cable and lock the bike to something solid. One thing that I will not use is a disc lock. I saw a van pull up to parked bike with a disc lock.... four guys hop out with two baseball bats... they run one bat thru the front wheel and one thru the rear. On the count of three they lifted it up and put it in the van. The bike was gone is less than 30 seconds. :eek1