ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #3421
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,584
That's normal. All tread blocks do that, especially at the end.
Not tire ever wears perfectly even in all locations all the wear to bare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Looks like regular tire cupping to me. For certain can be caused by suspension etc, but just plain old hard acceleration/braking can do that, especially on these "adventure" 90/10 tires that attempt to have a blockier pattern than a sport tire.

I just want to ask, since you say this is your first "big bike" , how hard do you ride? A heavy hand on the throttle on a bike with decent power and some hard braking on a heavy bike (compared to smaller) will do that. While I ride easy most of the time, I have a few local roads that see maybe 10% of my miles and probably do over half the wear. I've got about 8K miles on my strom and am getting ready to put on my third set of tires.

Light bike, ridden easy I don't see this. Heavier bike, bigger blocks the worse it is. Here's a photo of a Heidenau tire I pulled of my Tenere that got put through the paces. Yes It handled like crap near the end, couldn't wait to take it off.

Those blocks were all level at one point.

I doubt you have a problem with your bike. Would be interested if you find out otherwise. I'll bet the tire manufacturer will tell you something along the lines of needing a better suspension, which would help.

Only way I get even wear on anything is if I ride like a sissy I'd rather buy tires
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #3422
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
That's normal. All tread blocks do that, especially at the end.
Not tire ever wears perfectly even in all locations all the wear to bare.

That was my point. I don't think there is anything wrong with the bike, or for that matter tire. Thought I'd point that out before this becomes an internet "issue" that needs to be fixed....when it really doesn't. While some tires/bikes/riders will inherently have more or less of this due to design/use I don't think it's a problem.

(sounds like the OP hasn't seen this before though)

Desert Dave screwed with this post 02-18-2015 at 08:30 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #3423
Farmer Hank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Just flushed $85 down the toilet.

I now know just how easy it is to trash the $85 Suzuki accessory hand guards. I was re-installing the front wheel. As I stood up (and being in my mid 60's with bad knees, it was not anything too abrupt), my shoulder caught the guard and pop! it broke. Lets just say that the forces involved were miniscule and I'm a bit pissed at the result.
I tried using these instead of bark busters so I could continue to use the rubber damped weights on the handlebar ends to help calm the vibes. I know that on my 1st generation WEE the use of stiff, fat, aluminum bars and bark busters upped the level of handlebar vibration.
Is there nay way to keep using the bar end weights after installing real aluminum bark busters? I've got Reynaud's syndrome in my hands and they really don't like much vibration.
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #3424
283Shovels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Hank, Not familiar with the setup of the weights but could you try some thicker more cushioned grips.

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"
283Shovels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #3425
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Hank View Post
I now know just how easy it is to trash the $85 Suzuki accessory hand guards. I was re-installing the front wheel. As I stood up (and being in my mid 60's with bad knees, it was not anything too abrupt), my shoulder caught the guard and pop! it broke. Lets just say that the forces involved were miniscule and I'm a bit pissed at the result.
I tried using these instead of bark busters so I could continue to use the rubber damped weights on the handlebar ends to help calm the vibes. I know that on my 1st generation WEE the use of stiff, fat, aluminum bars and bark busters upped the level of handlebar vibration.
Is there nay way to keep using the bar end weights after installing real aluminum bark busters? I've got Reynaud's syndrome in my hands and they really don't like much vibration.
No problem . . . I feel your pain . . . In more ways than one. First, remove the bar end Assy. (An impact driver drill works great to loosen while holding the weight) and remove the round metal adapter that holds the hand guard. Mount new bark busters outside the bar end weights using the long threaded bolt. You may have to attach it as an Assy before sliding back into the bar and tighten . . . Then attach other end to the handlebar with an adapter bracket etc.

You will not need the round adapter that the OEM hand guards snaps on to. It will give you more thread for the new hand guards etc.

“One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure.” – Steve McQueen
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #3426
Farmer Hank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
No problem . . . I feel your pain . . . In more ways than one. First, remove the bar end Assy. (An impact driver drill works great to loosen while holding the weight) and remove the round metal adapter that holds the hand guard. Mount new bark busters outside the bar end weights using the long threaded bolt. You may have to attach it as an Assy before sliding back into the bar and tighten . . . Then attach other end to the handlebar with an adapter bracket etc.

You will not need the round adapter that the OEM hand guards snaps on to. It will give you more thread for the new hand guards etc.
Thanks much!
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote