Heaven and Hell and Heaven and..............

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by intothenew, Dec 1, 2007.

1. captain

captain Wild And Wonderful

Oddometer:
    Man north mountain looks different without snow! The last time i was there i didnt want to leave camp. Beautiful pics... wish i would have made the last of the trip. :clap
  2. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    We awake to this.

[​IMG]

The reward of carrying the heavy loads is realized. What a night! What a morning! The cool mountain air makes me forget the previous days of oppression. Out with the coffee maker.

[​IMG]

And a quiet moment to consume it.

[​IMG]

We pack slowly, neither of us are in a hurry to leave. Gear stowed, suited up, and the camp policed, we head toward Petersburg for a lunch stop. Let's go.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-7525185510410505709&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Lunch was a delight. You must try it if you are ever through here.

Lidia's

[​IMG]

We run FS roads most of the day.

[​IMG]

And take in these views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We bob a weave to miss thunderstorms. Take breaks to let them pass.

[​IMG]

I think we will let that one pass.

[​IMG]

So I take a little more time for desk work.

[​IMG]

The dust suppression systems made for some really nice riding today.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8814236607729647873&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

We take in some USFS trails.

[​IMG]

And the day ends in Harrisonburg. I head for a shower, and TM heads for refreshments. I step back into the room and he hands me this.

[​IMG]

Now that's a bartender.

One more day. My boots have stayed dry the entire trip. That will not hold true tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  3. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Our last day. It is supposed to be a rather short one, a few hours in the bush and two hours of slab home. The next clip is typical of the start.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-1544147657417373093&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

The last hurdle is a run down Pads Creek toward Clifton Forge. Here is how it started.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=4878189089162292060&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

For the next 1/4 mile, the rocks get bigger, the mud gets deeper, the creek crossings get slicker. I drop it on a snot covered creek crossing but manage to recover before TM can get the camera out. We navigate an orange mud hole that drags my feet off of the pegs. I have to kick mud off just to get my footing back. My heart is racing, this got tough really quick.

We emerge to find the Cow Pasture river ford. I hear angels singing. You could see a dime on the bottom, cross this and...............

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6343249156742188901&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

The music stopped.

We spend the next 15 minutes trying to push that beast to dry dock. Thanks TM.

Well, it's not too difficult to figure out what went wrong. If you noticed, there are 2 wakes, mine and TM going around on the left. Bad line, bad line, bad line. A little love on Lucille and she turns over but coughs, and spits, and sputters. She gets up on her own legs only after tying an aerostich luggage strap to her forehead and to the rump of the KLR. All I could see was smile in TM's mirrors. The oil looks ok, I think she'll roll.

Before we depart, TM insists on an instructional video for my benefit.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-2792082999618015719&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

I fore go the return, I get the point.

It's a 2 mile run to Clifton Forge where we can air up to slab pressure and get lunch. We pull in and I do a systems check to find this in the boiler room.

[​IMG]

I consider an oil change, but what to do with the waste? We are 2 hours from home, so I call for EVAC. Captain, do you think you can come and pick me up?

I set up housekeeping on the corner of the lot.

[​IMG]

Come inside and have a look.

[​IMG]

My boots could do with a little sun.

[​IMG]

TM heads out to complete what we started.

[​IMG]

And misery loves company. I just couldn't resist a pick of this guy high centered.

[​IMG]

Captain shows up promptly. We roll Lucille into the back of the S.S. Sookie Sue, and make for Sandlick.

I will post a conclusion after I collect myself.
  4. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of the final stats.

[​IMG]

Not an Iron Butt run I know, but there is a lot of time in the bush.

Rants:

August=North, only North, nuthin' but North

Learn when and when not to use the macro button

Bad line, Bad line, Bad line

If I could just get my hands on that German who put the boiler room breather in the bottom of the box I would.......

Wunderlich needs to hurry with the new snorkel

Raves:

My 2 partners, guys you would want in a fox hole with you

Gadgetboy, for putting up with a nOOb

HI for fantastic service

All of the inmates who have commented, rated, and read

Seafoam

I hope you have enjoyed. I will go read some posts now.
  5. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    This was a great TR. I love that it is much more like what us Easterners actually do. The vids were great too!:lol3
  6. turkeyman101

turkeyman101 Navigationally Impaired Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Middle Row, Last Column... "So that's why I lost sight of your tail lights on the red-dog..."

Excellent job on the post Navigator! It was and is an honor and a blast to ride with you!:lobby
  7. captain

Oddometer:
    Documented very very well. I wish i would have made the last of the trip. I would have loved to be on the other side of Cow Pasture Creek. Haha BAD LINE! This trip was a blast and i hope there are many more to come.. Thanks to Turkey Man and the Navigator for everything.:clap
  8. intothenew

Oddometer:

Thanks, I will try to post some local tight stuff this spring.
  9. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Cap rides the KLX on 1 or 2 day outings now. We just can't strap enough on it for a camping trip. It's a little under powered on the super slab, but it is a sweet thing in the woods.
  10. intothenew

Oddometer:

I did not know how much work this would be. Well worth it though. Thanks
  11. captain

Oddometer:
    :clap
  12. bumknee

bumknee Work Hard, Play Hard

Oddometer:
    Bravo Guys - that was a great report. It was nice meeting you in Lynchburg.

Your high's and lows theme inspired me to go back in Oct and ride for fun vs commuting to work. When I hit the the top of Spruce Knob I relayed your story to my buddy and gave you proper credit - you didn't steer me wrong - what a fantastic part of the country.

Thanks for sharing your ride. I will be back in that area and maybe our paths will cross again.