Concours 14 Dyno run

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by scooter_scum, Jul 30, 2007.

1. scooter_scum

scooter_scum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Bubba Satori

Bubba Satori Finding my way home

Oddometer:
    Pretty good. The power to rate ratio is about the same as the zzr1200. Just don't like the look of those slats on the side of the bike. It was kinda cool looking 25 years ago on a Testarossa, but looks sorta gimicky now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Mmmm.... I dunno.. I liked 'em then, and I like 'em (more) now. To me everything about the bike 'works'. And for just under $14k w/ABS, what's not to like. I wanna ride one.. :evil
  4. Bubba Satori

Bubba Satori Finding my way home

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'd like it in a darker color. I agree about the performance of the bike and it's value. Absolutely stunning package for the price.
  5. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Again we get the shaft. Yurp gets it in black or silver, we get the silver. :cry I'd surely like to have one, of whatever color.
  6. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    Simple solution:

Step one: obtain a file

Step two: get busy

:lol3
  7. Herknav90

Herknav90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know dude. I think it's very hard to compare a fine italian sports car to a sport touring motorcycle...Especially in looks. That's like saying Claudia Schiffer looks like Marilyn Monroe. Both intriging, but totally different.

I like the design. It doesn't look like everyone else. I like the bags too, because it doesn't look like everyone else. I think this bike is a home run for Kawasaki. I get to see one here in Germany (Armed Forces overseas) on 10 Aug. They get two in Sep, and I am probably going to put a downpayment on one when I get to see and sit on one 10 Aug.

Power, mostly tour, alot of sport...I dig it...:clap

I would rather compare it to the RF900...This was a sharp looking bike in it's time too...
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certainly respectable, but 30 down on the ZX-14. This seems like a heck of a detuning, especially considering the whole idea of the VVT was to allow beefing up the mid-range without losing the top end. Given the extra weight, the C14 is only slightly faster than an FJR, which seems like an opportunity lost to deliver a knockout punch in the category.

Don't be me wrong, I like the bike and except for the marginal range, it looks like a hell of package, especially for the money.

- Mark
  9. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Moto-journalist

Oddometer:
    The RF did look good from that angle. From the back was another story...
  10. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Ah, yes, the barn door tail light. Functional, but sure was fugly.:D
  11. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    My buddy is dying to ride one. I told him they look like something out of Batman. He said that I thought that to the local Kaw salesman and the guy just RIPS on the ZX14 - says they are copying Ferrari and that it looked a little dopey when Ferrari did it back in the '80s. Then I saw the new Connie in person at the dealer. I have to say they look nice - a lot nicer in person than in any photo I've seen. Not my deal, but a really nice bike.

The ZX14 on the other hand, well...
  12. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what happens when Pontiac designers step out for some pocket change . . .
  13. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    Oh shit - that's just wrong! Funny, but wrong...
  14. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=417 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%" colSpan=4>
    With a Two Bros pipe.. Like to hear what she sounds like now..

[​IMG]
    <TR><TD width="50%" colSpan=2>
    [​IMG]
    <TD width="50%" colSpan=2>
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  15. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

opps, got beat to the punch. :lol3
  16. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sat on one while getting my tire changed in NM...I liked it...I liked it alot...
  17. Herknav90

Oddometer:
    Yeah Mike,

You got beat to the punch, but I did try and find a picture that looked kind of descent. Crap that picture definately looks 1985 with the flamingo flare! I almost forgot the tailights, I remember them too. The Kawasaki's tail light is kind of strange too. If I remember right, about 90% of the bikes would concentrate on the front and forget the tail lights...Afterthought. I guess we are going back to those days.

Everyone keeps complaining about range, but I see 5.8 gallons...Lets just say 5. This thing is being reported about 40mpg average by most already. That is still a 200 miles range with a .8 reserve. Seems resonable since I cannot get but 160 out of my R1200GS before the gas light starts. That is plenty of range for me and my childlike bladder and can't sit still for more than 1.5 to 2 hours.

100 ft lbs of torque with a flat curve. One can only dream. I would dare say that even though this is 30 hp down on the ZX-14 that it will be a much better bike for around town and touring. If it had the ZX power, it would take too much concentration to keep the front wheel on the ground...that is not a characteristic I would want to give the Sport Touring crowd. I agree too much is just right and more is better, but I think it would be too much for long distance touring...Too much concentration lost on watching what you do with power. I read one writeup that said they prefered the C14 over the ZX14 due to the trackable power. I like that alot.

I like the looks of this exhaust, but I would have to see one more curve. Comparision chart for RPM versus DB for stock and 2Bro's. If it is in the same range DB wise...I'd buy it. Problem is to get 4 hp, it is going to require free flowing exhaust, and that generally means more noise! We have a 95 DB limit on motorcycles in Germany now...Military inspections enforce it more than the Germans. It is a slip on though....Hrmmm
  18. Herknav90

Oddometer:
    Thanks Toney....That makes me feel like putting the deposit down NOW!!! Let me see...Transfer some money from savings to checking, and put it on the debit card....Yeah!!!:wink:
  19. Dirtgrain

Dirtgrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ZX-14 electronically limits power in the lower gears. I'm not sure why. To prevent riders from looping the bike?

Now the new Concourse has beefed up low-end torque and less horsepower. Will it be electronically limited in power in the lower gears?

Any quarter-mile times on the Concourse?
  20. scooter_scum

scooter_scum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The UK magazine MCN did a comparison of the BMW K1200GT, FJR1300AE and Concours 14. They listed the following stats (including 1/4 mile). Shamelessly stolen from the concours.org website (posted by Big_Boomer).

Some interesting figures for you guys to mull over.
    The FJR is the semi-auto gearbox model.

RWHP measured at 139 Bhp (FJR1300AS - 121 Bhp, K1200GT - 130 Bhp)
    RWTQ measured at 93.5 lbft (FJR1300AS - 86 lbft, K1200GT - 81 lbft)

In the writeup they say that the BMW is a better bike but only because of it's gadgets (heated grips, cruise control, better screen, etc).
    That said, they rate the 1400GTR as the best of the 3 due to lower cost and the best motor.

All the testers agree that Kawasaki have created a great bike but need to follow up with heated grips, better saddle and cruise control as options.

Other figures also of interest.

Standing Start Quarter Mile
    1400GTR - 11.34 secs @ 122.68 Mph
    K1200GTSE - 11.38 secs @ 121.95 Mph
    FJR1300AS - 11.97 secs @ 116.97 Mph

0 to 60Mph
    1400GTR - 3.12 secs
    K1200GTSE - 3.18 secs
    FJR1300AS - 3.84 secs

0 to 100Mph
    1400GTR - 6.98 secs
    K1200GTSE - 7.01 secs