Nevada In The Winter

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 00ridgerunner00, Feb 28, 2010.

1. 00ridgerunner00

00ridgerunner00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at riding from Reno to Gold Point, NV. Day in DV. Day to get back to SAcramento. Looking at trails/jeep roads that parallel the CA/NV border, looks possible to stay mostlly on dirt all the way to Gold Point. Is this route passable this time of the year/early spring?

Thanks for any info.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    See my Nevada Statewide Motorized Trail System over on GPSXchange.com
  3. kdxkawboy

kdxkawboy Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer:
    Head around the east side of Virginia City, Catch Fort Churchill Road to Fort Churchill, just south of Weeks pick up Simpson Road to Hooten Well and take the road south to US Alt 95 heading east out of Yerington, pick up the power line road heading south. This power line takes you all the way to Aurora. Take Lucky Boy Pass over to Hawthorne - more than likely you'll find snow on the ground going over the top, but Lucky Boy gets enough traffic the road should be doable. Take US95 east out of Hawthorne, pick up Garfield Flats Road, which circles south of US95, coming back in at Mina.

As an alternative from Aurora, if the snow doesn't look bad on the mountains south of Aurora you can pick up FR 026 out to SR 359. This is Powell Canyon, and after it crosses SR359 it becomes Sweetwater Ranch Road which comes back into Garfield Flat Road just west of Mina. Hop on US 95 until you ar just north of Sodaville and you will see a road take off to your left, due east. Just shy of a half mile out this road is another road taking off to your right, Pick up this road and follow it tell it reaches a power line and then take the road that follows the power line to Crow Springs, where you turn south.

This brings you back onto US95 about 7 miles west of Miller, where the rest stop is. About a mile and a thord west of Millers you will find Miller's Cutoff Road heading south. Follow Miller's Cutoff until it runs into Paymaster Canyon Road, which runs into Nivloc Road that you takes you into Silver Peak. South of Silver Springs you pick up the Sulver Springs - Railroad Springs Road out over Railroad Pass and back down to SR266. On SR 266 turn west for Lida and then pick up the Lida Road to Gold Peak.

This route should be doable in a very long day as most of it is high speed. It keeps you out of the mountains that are likely to still have snow that can make some of the traveling iffy.
  4. 00ridgerunner00

00ridgerunner00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mucho gracias kdxkawboy...i might attempt it this coming sunday/monday...

hit me up if your ever around sac and want to ride....plenty of classic stuff out my backdoor:)

sean