Swiss/Italian Alps Route Planning

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by insureguy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    Tommy has really good English, so no worries there. No experience with the other guys, but I'd say on the whole you really can't go wrong no matter where you end up.
  2. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both are correct. Being in the area on a motorcycle and not riding the Stelvio is like being a Catholic in Rome and not visiting the Vatican.

You should have PMed or called - we could have done lunch :wink:

Ya gotta ask under the "Trip Planning" section of the Forums. There are lots of appetizers up front, but the meat is in the forums. Good crew there - one of the few sites that has an annual get-together (which started almost by accident, but is now approaching Tradition status).

I've rented from BiancoBlu in Milan three times and Moto Mader twice. The second Moto Mader rental gave me the impetus to ship one of my bikes over. I had a slow speed (stopped, actually) tip over that resulted in CHF 1,400 of damage to the bike. Every piece that had a scratch was replaced. My old (80K mile+) GSX1100G now sleeps in Heidelberg and awaits my pleasure.

That being said - I highly recommend both places.

I don't get to play with brand new BMWs anymore, but I spend a group less money - and if it gets a scratch - meh.

For the Alpine part of your trip - you DO have a copy of John Hermann's book, don't you?
  4. insureguy

insureguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep....that Catholic in Rome thing, exactly what I thought about Stelvio. I'm thinking I need to do it so I can tell others, who haven't done it, how over-rated it really is!

Lunch in Sterling.....sure. You'll tell me more about riding in Switzerland? Where are you during the day.....working in Sterling? Was in Fairfax just today.

No. I know nothing of John Hermann. Googling right now.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have reached that state of being that we all aspire to - a reasonably funded retirement. Assuming that the idiots just a bit east of me don't screw it up in the next month or so :eek1

As such, my schedule is, shall we say, flexible... Should you find yourself in the general area, give me a shout - PM to follow.

"Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Beyond" (4th edition) Don't leave home without it. Hermann's web site
  6. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D >>Oh yes - and you do know that Europe is heading out on vacation at the same time, don't you? <<
    It's funny how how they work together all year and all go vacation in August to meet each other again in the same vacation spots and traffic jams.
  7. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've only stopped in to talk the guys in Schlieren (near Zurich) but they were very helpful. I like that they're an easy train ride direct from the Zurich airport.

I'll be moving to Basel in less than a month :clap and might be able to find out more information for you once I settle in. :freaky