Quebec's winter tire law

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Grinder, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put this law to the test yet? I read the law online here http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pa..._hivernales/reglement_utilisation_pneus_hiver and i see a few loopholes, most notably the use of studs by definition is a winter tire (http://www2.publicationsduquebec.go...arge.php?type=3&file=/C_24_2/C24_2R4_3_A.HTM). If i stud a set of tires for my wrr, i should be legal me thinks...

That being said, i have been out before during the forbiden period and not been hasled. It was unseasonably warm (17)
  2. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    It applies only if your vehicle is registered in Qc....

3. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    TKC's are rated M&S....:evil
  4. sdsmye

sdsmye Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the winter tire law, available at the SAAQ website (http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=3&file=/C_24_2/C24_2R4_4_1_A.HTM), see point 7 a) viii below:

"7. For the purposes of this Regulation, “tire specifically designed for winter driving” means,

(1) before 15 December 2014, a tire that meets one of the following criteria:

(a) it bears one of the following inscriptions:

(i) “Alaska”;

(ii) “Arctic”;

(iii) “A/T” or “AT”;

(iii.1) “AT/S” or “AT-S”;

(iv) “Blizzard”;

(iv.1) “Cresta”;

(v) “Ice”;

(v.1) “INSA T1” or “INSA T2” or “INSA TT770”;

(vi) “LT”;

(vii) “Nordic”;

(viii) “Snow”, except “mud and snow”;

(ix) “Stud”;

(ix.1) “Studdable”;

(ix.2) “Studded”;

(ix.3) “Studless”;

(ix.4) “TS”;

(ix.5) “Ultra Grip”;

(x) “Ultra traction”; or

(xi) “Winter”;

(b) the pictogram in Schedule A is engraved on it; or

(c) it is a studded tire used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles (M.O. 1998, 98-11-05);"

I wrote the Rubber Manufacturers Association last year to see if anyone manufactured "winter" motorcycle tires. Sadly, they didn't respond.

I was online this evening to officially store my bike until March, and perhaps get a 33% refund of my $600+ registration fee. They already thought of that. No refunds for motorcycles "stored" between October and March.

Effectively, they have passed a law that prohibits riding for residents in the winter months due to an unavailability of winter motorcycle tires. However, they still charge 12 month licence fees for 8 months use. More infuriating, the cops still get to ride due to an emergency vehicle exemption.

Fascists....

(Please advise if anyone can figure out the tire studding regulations.)

If you didn't know, one can still get up to four exemption permits of 7 days each for the purpose of leaving or returning to the province. I live near Ottawa, and last I checked, it is another province. Montrealers could always roadtrip to Cornwall if conditions are favourable like we had last March. Has anyone tested this willingly or unwillingly with the local constabulary yet?
  5. garry_kramer

garry_kramer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you get a hack you could always put car snow tires on it. ;)

Garry
  6. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    Wow they have you by the nuts, that's remarkable....

When it's referencing (c) can you not get a studed tire, remove the middle studs and leave the edge ones? That may make it street legal (non skid surface), providing the tire has DOT already? There are a couple of manufactrurers that sell studded tires, not cheap but tolerable.
    :*sip*
    Now as for the Leos, their major concern is our safety, if the conditions are stupid for a bike, they will hassle you that's their job :205
  7. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I think the screw in studs from aerostich may qualify. Stud a set of tkc tires and i thi k it would be hard for them to take issue with it. What id you get a set of lesser known tires like motoz and brand the snowflake symbol on it.....

8. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
  9. JoWhee

JoWhee Deviant but not dangerous.

Oddometer:
    I was almost pulled over, in early March about 3 days before the end of the black out period. The SQ cruiser pulled a U turn, lit me up, I pulled over, they pulled in behind me, As soon as they realized I had ON plates I got a stern look as they drove off, never even bothering to get out of their car.

If you're a Quebec residents you can get a 7 day exemption, 4 times a year.
  10. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I've heard that story a few times. Maybe someone has an old ontario plate i can borrow? :rofl

11. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its not a loophole, its the law
  12. marcus-st12

marcus-st12 frenchy

Oddometer:
    One of my neighbors got ticketed 1 week before the proper date because he rode his bike on a beautifull spring day....16 degrees or so.....wich is in complete contrast to what I was told when I chated with a Gatineau cop one day. He told me unless your in an accident and then they notice you don't have the winter tires you will get a ticket. But any other time they don't give a s#$* its the minister of transportarion guys you have to look out for
  13. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I spoke to a fellow at the SAAQ who responeded to an e-mail I sent. He was very knowledgeable. If it doesn't have the right markings you are done. Only exception was for Police or other emergency vehicle. M&S don't cut it. One other thing to consider is that even with real snow tires on your bike there is nothing to stop a cop for ticketing you for dangerous driving if he sees you on a bike in 6 inches of snow.
  14. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    reviving an old thread because I am bored and tired of big gov't and the growing truth of the fears of the tinfoil hat crowd who wave the books Animal Farm and 1984 around. Anyone figure out a tire solution or are people just rolling with the 7 day trip tickets if they get a nice day? Few comments on the issue and effect on motorcyclist lately so maybe it isn't such a big deal as first thought.

QC being anti bike, would it be possible to incorporated a company or co-op in another more reasonable prov and have that company set up to rent out motorbikes. Shareholders invest by selling/contributing their plated bikes to the company and in turn rent their formerly QC register bikes back with a plate, insurance and registration in another prov?

Maybe a bad idea or good one, I don't know.
  15. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Considering we can start riding in another 29 days or so not much demand I would think. Even if I could ride my Ural I don't think I would want to expose it to the insane amount of salt on the roads.

16. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    Yep that sounds like the overloard's goon squad! Be careful answering questions in reference to the exemption, because if they find out you are not going out of province... You must pay the overloard's fine! :clap:clap:clap
  17. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    Probably a better idea in Montana though, On a trip this summer a guy told me they pay 10.00 for lifetime registration on a bike. In Quebec the overloard wants $650 for 6 months of riding or close to $1400 if you chose to ride a sport bike. Double that for the year!

It would probably be easier with a mailing adresse. What does it cost in Ontario and the other provinces.

Quebec only did this because a few kids on sport bikes were poping wheelies in and around Montreal then ran from the SQ and the overpriced fines. The Overloard responded by crushing the industry, crushing small shops and putting good people out of work. You still see it happen so the plan did not work!

Nothing can be done except pay through the nose, because bikers in Quebec don't stick together! I would love to see the response to something like that somewhere in the states.
  18. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:
    The place has a bunch of people who pretend they cannot speak
    English and can be horribly rude to visitors.

The weather sucks for much of the year.

Why live there or even go there ? Life is too short to subject yourself to stuff like this
    when you have alternative choices. And there are ALWAYS alternative choices in life.

19. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I like Quebec, love the culture and have always had a good time there. Sure you run into the occasional asshat but you can get that anywhere. Working on speaking French, used to have a better grasp but now I'm on par with a 2yr old. A lot of my family is in Quebec so I have some motivation. :1drink

edit: Forgot, motoriley, like you vids funny as hell. AP seems like a good riding crew and reminds me of some of the guys I used to ride with out east.
  20. WildAnCrazymtl

Oddometer:
    Yes some people are rude to visitors and fake the no speaka d'a englitch...:lol3

The weather...depends what you compear it to, just as good as anywhere in Canada

Why live or go there? That's easy! The french Quebecoise wemen... The best in the world! Theses girls make you feel like a man all nigth long, every night! :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 :clap:clap :clap:clap

:D

I married one, best move ever, she's even my avitar!