ADV@LBL - November 8-10, Near Dover Tennessee

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by sandalscout, Oct 23, 2013.

1. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Once again, It's TIME!

What: ADV@LBL Fall 2013 edition
    Where: Land Between The Lakes - Tennessee and Kentucky
    When: November 8-10

Back in May, we did this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859995

This time around, we've got even less time for planning and prep, so it goes without saying, it'll be even more fun, right?

The plan - Ride LBL, moto-camp, engage in general jack-assary

...and so far, that's the whole plan!

BYOE - Bring Your Own EVERYTHING - And this means everything. We will be a little bit closer to food and groceries, but the plan is to ride in, camp, ride all weekend, and ride out, self contained.

Camping - Piney Campground inside LBL - I will be in contact with them to work out details to see about getting those of you not camping in through the front gate to join us each day, but I expect no problems with that. If you want to rough it somewhere else, stay in a motel, or ride in just for the day, you can hang with the group at the Base Camp.

Non Electric sites - $15 a night after reservation fees. I have reserved site #281, and others are grabbing sites close by. There are NOT any electric sites in this loop, but there are electric sites in the nearby Loblolly and Shortleaf loops. Water is NOT available at Piney sites after October 31st.

Piney campground is on Map 9 on the MVUM maps below. Here is a link to Google Maps as well.

This is NOT a formal event, we see it simply as an excuse to get together and ride more of an area that we enjoy.

Check out LBL.org for some information about the area, things to see and do, and for MVUM Maps to get an idea of the area we will be riding in! The MVUM is important, as it has all of the roads that are legal for us to ride on within LBL mapped out.

WHO'S IN???
    1. sandalscout
    2. TroyJ
    3. iyaoyas98
    4. DRM
    5. Wallachian Spikes
    6. Backwoodsone (Friday only?)
    7. wdavis009
    8. 2fast4u
    9. PsychoChem
    10. HappyCRNA
    11. gofast1320
  2. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    "Water is NOT available at Piney sites after October 31st."

I don't mind if I don't have water at my camp site but, will there be flush toilets & a hot shower available within walking distance of my camp site??? I'm willing to walk a long way for a hot shower.

The South end of LBL has non-ethanol gas just a short ride into Dover. Energy Lake was perfect for our needs, except for easy access to a non-ethanol gas station. Hopefully the weather prediction will be better than last time & we SMASH the attendance numbers we got in Spring. :clap
  4. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Yes, the bathhouses and some of the spigots will still be functional. There is a chance that the water-sites will still have water past October 31, just depends on freezing temperatures.

I hope we get a bunch of peeps too, but if not, no worries! I think that there are at least 4-5 more people that haven't chimed in yet that I expect to see there!
  5. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    That sounds LOVELY. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooiUDXLw__g

I might need an electrical site so I can re-charge my Gopro. Are we going to pay for our sites through you guys or directly through the fine folks at Piney camp grounds? Last time, didn't you guys have something set up through paypal?
  6. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Last time Troy arranged to get us an entire loop and we payed him back directly. This time, it's "reserve your own", it was a little bit of a hassle before, and just simply don't know how many people are coming out.
  7. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    That's fine, I kinda figured that paypal thing must have been a pain for someone. This one is a little "spur of the moment" & I don't mind any extra effort it takes to ride with that zaney bunch from last time, with all their wacky shenanigans.
  8. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can have more than 1 person at a site. I have a spot if anyone wants to go in half or work out a "liquid" payment :)
  9. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang WS, you need to stock on some gopro batteries or get a portable charger pack.
  10. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a few of us are doing the same. I don't think we will have much problem finding room for late comers.
  11. Magic_Mike

Magic_Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IN! Shit I haven't ridden in ages...Job got to levels of insanity I never want to see again...BUT the month of November is going to be the opposite and I have a 4 day weekend on the 8th! Matt if you need help with anything let me know.

In the meantime, I am going to be riding LBL trails like crazy up until then because I haven't ridden in the dirt (or even on slab that much) in the past 2 months! What I saw yesterday is we just have to watch out for downed trees, there were quite a few on trails.....
  12. sandalscout

Oddometer:

Awesome!
  13. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checking in.

Work is wide open for me, but inventory wraps up Friday and I'll get a chance to prep for the ride. I did reserve 282, and will only have 1 tent if the spaces become limited.

I'll be on the DR 650 this time, riding in packed. (not cheating with two bikes like last time)

Since Magic Mike will be there, do we need to plan on a run to Willow Pond? :evil
  14. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on if the last Willow Pond run is still providing fruition..... :deal
  15. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Athletic Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm in.
  16. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have any of you folks ridden south from hwy 79/Dover hwy down Hwy 232 towards hwy 147? 232 is one twisty mother and its about a 1 1/2 miles to the east of where you come out on 79. If you ride down to 147 and turn right toward the river you will pass SouthernAire Motel and Restaurant on your right. They have great food and a very relaxed atmosphere. Breakfast is outstanding and they have a great buffet for lunch along with some mighty good cuts of meat.
  17. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Woohoo! Bringing Ken too????

That is a fun ride! I've got a route mapped out that uses that to tie a bunch of dirt together. Starts on the North side of the river, and runs South, ending up in McEwen. It's a nice mixed ride and lots of fun.

Just shot you a PM back, by the way. Let me know if you want me to add your name to the in list.
  18. Wallachian Spikes

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden that area. CAN'T WAIT!! :clap
  19. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    It probably won't be during this event, at least not my route, but I will get something together soon to run it. It is about 140 miles, I think.

We could run 232 and back easily enough at the event though. It is often referred to as the "Baby Dragon." Lakefront road inside LBL is more fun since it was paved, in my opinion.
  20. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod:thumbup