Where to cross the Rockies in late April to avoid snow?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Superzoom, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to start a new thread, as I already have one going about my trip in general (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963502), but I wanted specific advice and I'm panicking a little.

I am riding west from Toronto to Vancouver in late April, but through the U.S. for most of my trip, probably along Route 2, but would like to know the best place to cross the Rocky Mountains to minimize my chances of encountering winter-like weather conditions. I don't mind swinging a little farther south into the States, if that improves my chances.

Can I just stay on Route 2, which cuts right across Glacier National Park in Montana? Or should I take Interstate 90, which is just a little further south? I guess I could go as far south as Interstate 80, if that's a lot safer.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Toro...f38b!2m2!1d-123.1139268!2d49.261226!3e0?hl=en
  2. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    I've been through Wyoming on 80 a few times in the winter and there was never a whole lot of snow along the highway. Its more like high plains. Your never up in the mountains. Its also boring as hell. And windy as hell. But not much snow. Late April should be no problemo. IMO
  3. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
    I-80 is likely to be quite windy even on a calm day......and it is a MAJOR semi truck route. It most likely will be an unpleasant section. I would just keep an eye on the weather and be a little flexible if you can. Snows this time of year don't last long as
    the ground has warmed up. Worst case is that you adjust your route of pause a day in the middle.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It's all hit and miss this time of year.
    You need to get south of Colorado to be really safe and still then...
    Go for 2 and just watch the weather.
  5. Superzoom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Anyone else with ideas or suggestions?
  6. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do what Eakins said, stick with 2 and watch the weather. You'll spend more time dropping down to I-80 than it will take for the roads to clear, in most cases. Main thing, if 2 is blocked, good chance I-90 is going to be dicey too, so watch the weather and temps, and wait a half day or so...and be damn careful on roads where the sun doesn't hit the pavement. Like the shady sides of turns and mountains. :freaky
  7. Superzoom

Oddometer:
    I do like this answer. Thanks so much!
  8. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    At Glacier Park, The road into Many Glaciers should be open, by now. Unsure if the Hotel is working. A gorgeous place to visit.

Many Glaciers Hotel and the Babb Steak House are both on my destination eateries list.

Lots of shady spots going around south side of Glacier. Watch for ice.

2 and 200 are both good roads west of Glacier. I would prefer hwy 3 in Canada west of ID. Kootenai Pass, just west of Creston on 3, is 6000 ft but open to sun. Beautiful ride thru south BC.

On hwy 200, excellent food at Cabinet Mountains bar and grill in Clark Fork ID.
    Clark Fork Pantry, a bakery, has some very nice products.
  9. Superzoom

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, Tourist!

I have done Hwy 3 through BC before (and yes, it's great), so I would like to try Route 2.

I'll keep all your food suggestions in mind!
  10. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Hwy 2 west of Spokane is boring. I would suggest using 20 to cross WA.
    On 2 just east of ID border is a hwy running south to hwy 200. 200 and 2 will take you across ID. 95 is not fun thru this part of ID. Sandpoint, CdA, Spokane area is a quagmire of traffic and boring pavement.

Almost anywhere thru the Scablands is good riding. Reconnect with 2 at Grand Coulee Dam or Coulee City. Visit Dry Falls.

Stevens Pass may have weather, schedule for the afternoon, if possible.
  11. Primal Haj

Primal Haj Looking for Mecca

Oddometer:
    Stay on 2 through Montana. If there is weather you can wait a day and be on your way this time of year. Heated gear recommended.

Craig
  12. Superzoom

Oddometer:
    Thank you Tourist, and thank you, Craig. Your advice is great and will be heeded.

I've got my electric vest and grips at the ready. Wish I could afford an electric jacket right now, but I can barely afford this trip as it is!