Trying to post again. Alaska trip prep. Extra gas on BMW Panniers.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by TFB43, Jul 1, 2012.

1. biodieselandon

biodieselandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have looked at that for mine. I am highly considering it. I just wonder how easy it is to switch for a top box when needed. Or do you even bother? I hardly ever see people using top boxes, especially off road.
  2. Happycamper

Happycamper Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer:
    I was not planning on using a topbox, so it was not a consideration for me. When traveling I use the Twisted Throttle Dry-spec bag system on the rack that is intergrated with the Adventure Tank. Worked great on my 2500 mile trip to Nova Scotia this summer.
  3. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of that dry bag system, looks like it would work with my MOD top plate and Rotopax too.
  4. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    The thing I like about the Rotopax is they have them for fuel, water, and tools.

Where did you get the dry bag made for the adv tank?
  5. Happycamper

Oddometer:
    If you are referencing the one I use, it is from Twisted Throttle. It was NOT made specifically for the Adv Tank, but it fits nicely up there with some supplimenting the stock mounting hardware with Roc Straps. It gave me plenty of room for all of my camping gear.

I like the flexibilty of Rotopax also, but there are plenty of other ways to carry water and tools that I think work better anyway - my $.02
  6. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    I agree
  7. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the reason to cover the RotoPax with material?? Another thought on carrying fuel in Alaska and the Yukon......gas stations are not always open. Yes, the longest stretches are probably between Coldfoot to Deadhorse, Dawson City to Eagle Plains, and Eagle Plains to Inuvik but other stretches get longer when a gas station is closed. I skipped the gas station in Jakes Corner figuring I would get gas in Carcross. The sign at the station in Carcross said "closed until further notice". I limped into Skagway, going 35 to 45 miles per hour, and coasted down the hill to conserve what little fuel I had left. And the dumb of it was, I had my 1 3/4 gal RotoPax on the bike but it was empty because I didn't think I would need extra gas until my run up to Deadhorse!!! I skipped a sort of a gas station on the east side of the Old Denali Highway thinking I would get gas in Paxon only to find the station closed. By this time I had filled the RotoPax and had to use it to make it to Delta Jct. Coming home there was a sign that said "check your fuel, next gas 92 miles". I knew I could make it only to find that the station 92 miles down the road had been closed for over a year!! I didn't need to dump fuel into the tank from Coldfoot to Deadhorse, but I ran out two miles from Coldfoot coming back (speeds were higher). Soooo, good idea to carry some fuel in case of the unexpected, not just looking at a mileage map. The new 1 3/4 RotoPax turned out to be a perfect size to mount on my tail rack.
  8. TFB43

TFB43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "What is the reason to cover the RotoPax with material??"

Mostly to not draw attention to the gas tank on the back of the bike. But makes it easier to carry with the handle. Some people don't like the big red gas can on their bike. You can also use straps to attach it to your panniers. There are loops on the bag that allow that. Keeps you from having to drill into your panniers for the rotopax mount.
  9. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the ADV tank works with Touratech panniers? They look like the rack for the top box is part of the mounting system for the panniers so I am not sure...
  10. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI, you can stack a bunch of stuff on top of the RotoPax. This allows you to put it on your tail rack using the RotoPax mounting hardware. I put my Wolfman waterproof duffel on it, along with a duffel ahead of it, and strapped everything down with RokStraps. I called RotoPax to see if this pressure would cause a leak, and they said heck no. They drive pickup trucks on the RotoPax tanks in their parking lot for testing. As mentioned above, the sun and hot weather has more to do with the shape than stacking stuff on top of it. On a hot day coming home the tank ballooned way up but never leaked.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wife and I used Peg Packers to keep from putting extra weight on the pannier mounts, and they mount low. 2, 1gal. jugs on each bike, F800 and a F658. (I would sell 1 set if anyone is interested.) Very few places you would need them. As other have said the GS’s get really good fuel mileage going slow on the bad roads. But never pass gas! :deal
  12. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I have done. Except not on the tail rack and not with the Rotopax mounting hardware. But it made an excellent base for my BMW bag.

[​IMG]
  13. FORE!

FORE! Dakar Vet, but that's not what defines me

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

I just stumbled on this post, and thought I might throw something out there for anyone who wants to try the advtank.

Use the discount code 'advalaska' during checkout and get 50% off of the tank. The code is good for the first 5 orders - only good at www.advtank.com

That makes it $149.50 + shipping.

Thanks!

Scott
    AdvTank
  14. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    That's gonna happen fast :D
  15. Happycamper

Oddometer:
    Sh!t. Where was this offer when I bought mine? :ddog

Just kidding. My guess is that they have not moved as fast as you expected. Shame. I really like mine and have spoken praises to everyone I meet with an F800. Anyone one the fence should take you up on this offer.