My KTM 950 Story....lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Pyndon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Only if I need to learn how to JB Weld a front fork to the front axle!!!
  2. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm good at that!!
  3. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Hate that I couldn't get to Sloan's but glad it turned out well. :thumb
  4. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    For real. I am. Pyndon... You are the kind of rider in every respect I hope to be some day. Not only that, you are the kind of person I try to be every day!

I feel late to the party (sorry, spent the last 6-7 years on a BMW Dakar...), but I feel I need to chime in and at least give you my hearty thanks for convincing me the KTM is no more scary to work on than my Dakar was. You've re-inspired me to be "that" guy again. Combine that with a shiny 990 in my shop and it's almost like a rebirth!

You, sir, are what riding is all about. This thread. It's what community and fellow riders do for each other. :D That being said, I cannot explain how much info is in this thread... It's amazing! 2 weeks of reading to get to page 117 and I'm going to go back and read it all again! Cheers and keep it coming!!!

Rubber side down, ;)
  5. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Just finished this thread. Even with a little skimming there are lots of hours information laden KTM 950/990 steep learning curve. I've owned a 2007 990 with 25k miles for a couple of weeks and orange crush has been best source of info.

I have an interesting perspective here. Owned a new multistrada and new triumph tiger 800 in last 12 months. Reading the forums on the Ducati's potential problems was quite depressing. Triumph less so but still troubling.

This thread and other informative ones are something else again. The KTM appears to be a fairly trouble free beast when treated properly. Water pump kit ordered.... Btw.

Pyndon I'm triple impressed.

1. Mechanical skills and a ability to document and follow through.
    2. Obvious riding skills even before I caught the video!
    3. Most important IMO. Your patience dealing with people asking the same questions over and over that were answered in the threads.

Now about that oil....
  6. 1BIGADV

1BIGADV Banned

Oddometer:
    An Epic Journey Indeed and YetiGS its all about timer you arrived here to soon

Well what can we say, Pyndon you are a true pioneer in many ways and if I were 20 years younger who knows.

Learnt a lot and haven't finished reading everything, but it does confirm the choice I made 3 years ago to Buy a mint 950 rather than buy a later model 990 and I'm not sorry as I find the carbs meter so well on the gravel that with the help of louder pipes you can dial in the exact amount of wheel spin or slide you want. (seen about 110mph so far on the loose stuff but that's enough for me)

All the best in you ventures and will follow you on Facebook (just between you and me you don't make a half bad rider and to finish Dakar and no less that 6 places behind the American Baja legend Mr Campbell is pretty good indeed for a first effort

May catch up with you at some stage somewhere and know you are busy now so am ok if cant reply

all the best from a fellow Big Orange Rider
  7. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    LOL...:rofl
  8. 1BIGADV

1BIGADV Banned

Oddometer:
    10/60 synthetic ideal for extreme weather variations, changed every 5000 miles or any old multi grade every 2000 miles

Turn idle up to 1500rpm if cam chain rattles in hotter temps and it wont matter much as motor wont wear out anyway

Did I miss anything :gdog:D
  9. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Been trying to catch up on your builds since my 950 is getting weak and in desperate need of new rings and some other TLC. My rear pedal did nearly the same. I was replacing c-clip that holds the plunger in master cylinder and noticed the material had been infiltrated by probably road salt since I ride mine year round. The rear near the pivot was the worse with over 50% cross sectional loss and the front 2 bolts for the foot pad were nearly broken out.

10. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    MattF44 likes this.
  11. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:

True love indeed :D
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UPsNTyUm5UU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  12. jfl

jfl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too man! LMAO!! :rofl
  13. Hannesvdm

Hannesvdm n00b

Oddometer:
    Great thread :clap
  14. Flukey4

Flukey4 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have had the exact same symptoms on my 990 on the way back from the south of France last week.
    First the rev counter started to jump around, then the speedo would reset and the bike would run lumpy below 3500 revs. Had to nurse it 500 miles back to London.
    Will have a look at the starter relay today. Thanks for the post. Will keep you updated.
  15. buzzardair

buzzardair terraqueous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great info, I'll be checking mine. Thanks:clap
  16. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    Ok folks, I've finally got around to posting links and video's into my Races to Places thread, please follow the link below and subscribe to this thread if you wish to follow my Around the World Adventures on 'Races to Places'.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958364
  17. crimsonwolf

crimsonwolf ktm&bmw rider!

Oddometer:
    Nice step by step procedure on the lc8 waterpump repair kit. I know this question is late in the making but pls humor me. How does the two bearings get lubricated if both oil side and waterside are sealed? This is baffling me. Pls educate me. Tnx
  18. Pyndon

Oddometer:
    They are pre-greased.
  19. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    From the very first post:

Are you able to describe this shewing a little more and perhaps comment on the outcome? Sorry, I know it's a long time ago!

Loving your Races to Places series, keep up the good vids and good luck in Siberia!

20. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    If you were wondering what Pyndon's been upto this year he set off in April on an epic RTW ride - 'Races To Places'

Its been documented on youtube, with an episode most weeks. Theres currently 22!

Checkout the Trailer below...:freaky

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h9giytebPnA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>