XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Scoutman

Scoutman Misanthropic Drifter

Oddometer:
    It's not threaded, it will just pull out. Turn the carb over and the seat should just fall out also. Work over a clean area so you don't lose it.
    The 30 bucks for a repair manual is a hell of alot cheaper than the inevitable repair bill which comes from uneducated tinkering.
  2. opcocrg

opcocrg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the needle comes out fine it's the seat that seems to be stuck in there for some reason. I've purchased a repair manual it just hasn't been shipped to the house yet. My uneducated tinkering doesn't involve smacking things with hammers and prying on things with screw drivers lol. I understand the carb is delicate and I've been very gentle with it and anything that's given me a problem I've stopped and asked questions about. I'll take another look at it and see if I can't see why it's sticking.
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    give Woody's a call, or ask him in the Vendor's thread
  4. JustinT

JustinT I will ride my whole life

Oddometer:
    The Needle seat is under the Main jet and its holder.... (the main one at the lower center under the bowl. (The first one you see when you pull the drain cap).

Remove the main jet
    Then remove its Seat/mount/needle seat retainer? (don't know what its called? )
    and the Needle seat should just drop out cause its not afixed in. (its only held in by the last part) if it doesn't just use your finger from inside the carb and press it down. If its been in there a while it can stick a little)

When reinstalling let it slide in and make sure the edge is seen when looking through the venturi of the carb and then just seat the holder in till its seated. then tighten the set nut. and reinstall the main jet. (not too tight...just seated)
  5. JustinT

JustinT I will ride my whole life

Oddometer:
    Its a vent tube and is only about 8" long and goes to the rubber under the tank and ends...
  6. opcocrg

opcocrg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool thanks. I saw a picture that looked like it was going up to exactly where you're saying and then it disappeared so I didn't know if that was where it stopped.

on the other issue: I talked to a 30 year Honda mechanic today at a local dealership and I was mistakenly calling the "float valve" a "needle". The part I'm replacing on Tuesday is the float valve and I was under the impression that the brass part the float valve sits in was the "seat" and that is was removable. According to him that part is pressed into my carb and doesn't get replaced....only the float valve.
  7. El Traxo

El Traxo n00b

Oddometer:
    Shibby, you were right! I have inspected the fork damper more carefylly and - yes! The spring was there. Thank you for a tip!
  8. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
    Before I start beating the crap out of my swing arm bolt I want to make sure I have got it right.

1. remove rear wheel
    2. remove bolts from rear shock
    3. remove rear brake line hose guides and secure brake caliper
    4. remove pivot nut and washer from the stand side of the bike
    5. pound the crap out of the pivot bolt to remove it.

Am I doin' it right? Thanks!
  9. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
  10. RallyMoto

RallyMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine had never been apart in it's 10 years, so it was damn near frozen. I spent a lot of time on step #5, then had to buy a new bolt.
    Steps look good to me from the manual.
  11. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

No problem.

I know because I've been there. Had to do a little research myself to find out that on most forks the springs just stick up top. No point removing them as long as you confirm they're in there on rebuild.

Good luck with the servicing. XRR suspension definitely needs work from factory. With Borynack's suspension mods/valving/oil it completely changes it.
  12. Coastie3202

Coastie3202 King of MY Mountain

Oddometer:
  13. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    yes mate i hve 1 on my pig , best rider mod i have done , spent 11 hrs on it a few weeksago and got off with a smile
  14. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    I have not heard of Seat Concepts. I had the same complaint on the stock seat. It was like a prostate exam in the form of a vinyl covered 2X4. I went with Guts Racing Tall/Soft foam and cover. Less than $100 for comfort. If I had the time and money, I would have waited for a Renazzco, but the Guts seat is comfortable enough that I am not considering any more upgrades.

-Joe
  15. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    Hey Sean. Throw up a pic of your pig with the Seat Concepts installed. Thanks mate.
  16. pixelcodex

pixelcodex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a seat concepts as well, and have seen a big improvement, though I have not ridden for extended trips. It is somewhat similar to stock in looks, but has a wider back and it is flat, which makes for a better posture. I will snap a picture tonight as well.
  17. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    You guys are great. Thanks. :clap
  18. RdrMtn

RdrMtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turn the bolt with a wrench a few rotations to break it loose. My bolt was very rusty but I was able to punch it out fairly easily.
  19. Porter79

Porter79 Ranger

Oddometer:
    New proud owner needs help:
    I just bought a 2005 XR650R and need some help/input on getting it registered in Nevada. If anyone has recently got their pig registered in Nevada or if you know of any information available on the forum I could definitely use a little assistance.
    I also need help finding a dealer that is willing to do the inspection and sign the VP-254 form.
    Any BRP owners that live in the Las Vegas area and want to help a guy out on learning more about my new XR give me a shout.
    You teach and I buy beer!
    Thanks
  20. opcocrg

opcocrg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my carb issues sorted out finally. found another chunk of rubber stuck in the float valve seat. the rubber backing behind the petcock selector was dry rotted and was sending bits of rubber into the carb every time the selector was rotated. replaced the stock petcock with a new Clarke unit and cleaned the carb out and now it runs good and doesn't sit there leaking fuel everywhere. I feel so much better now
    :clap